Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens

Do you guys reckon if the old Sigma 50mm f1.4 ex dg hsm will drop in price once the ART is released? Am hoping to pick up the old glass at a cheaper price :)

Do you guys reckon if the old Sigma 50mm f1.4 ex dg hsm will drop in price once the ART is released? Am hoping to pick up the old glass at a cheaper price :)

it has already dropped in price

Nikon version of the Sigma 50mm 1.4 art is in. According to TK Foto facebk post

Has anyone tried Canon 70d with sigma 50mm art lens? Seems there is compatibility issue with inconsistent front-focusing problem with canon70d when aperture is wide opened. I just returned my beloved 18-35mm having 50% of pictures out of focus (more front but with a few back focusing pix). I tested 35mm f1.4 with my 70d in the shop, seemed having the same issue.

Anyone experiencing same problem?

Perhaps you go your 70D menu microadjustment section and check if it set to zero for both tele and wide or just disable it, then try the sigma lens again.

Just gotten the new 50 art. Pretty much sharper and clearer optics

Perhaps you go your 70D menu microadjustment section and check if it set to zero for both tele and wide or just disable it, then try the sigma lens again.

Didn't try micro adjustment as the focus point seems jumping front and back, with only 50% pix on target. Did the test at sigma workshop, with 10 consecutive and same setting on same subject, out of 10 pix, only about 5 sharp, 4 w front focus and 1 with back focus at F1.8. Left my 70d equipment in lab for 3 days, they tested with another same lens, same problem :(

Anyway, I have returned the lens. I am hoping they (canon or sigma) found a fixed on the art-series lens with 70d, I am so determined to buy this lens back and 50mm art lens.

Perhaps the hybrid dual pixel AF is not compatible for the sigma lens. Use only Phase Detection AF. It may help. Also check your microadjustment AF setting.
I knpw u have returned the lens but perhaps u could go sigma office n try again

Last edited:
Perhaps the hybrid dual pixel AF is not compatible for the sigma lens. Use only Phase Detection AF. It may help. Also check your microadjustment AF setting. I knpw u have returned the lens but perhaps u could go sigma office n try again

That's an interesting suggestion, didn't know dual pixel can be turned off. Do you know how to set to phase detection AF only mode? I was trying to read up manual and internet after reading your comment but couldn't find anything. Thanks

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3640895
Above is an example of others having problems with 3rd party lens on the 70D
If you google Canon 70D problems..you will get lots of posts on that.

Canon has stated that 103 of its lens is compatible with the Canon 70D and other canon EF lens have limited compatibillity.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/standard_display/daf_compatible
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=7260

I suggest that should you have the opportunity, do AF microadjustment on your camera when fitted with with the Sigma Art lens and take pictures via looking at the viewfinder instead of liveview since the dual pixel AF kicks in automatically on liveview and videomode.

I looking for a 50mm prime on a cropped sensor for portraits. Is the sigma art lens worth th price for cropped sensors or should i just get the old one at half th price

Last edited:
I looking for a 50mm prime on a cropped sensor for portraits. Is the sigma art lens worth th price for cropped sensors or should i just get the old one at half th price
The old one isn't very sharp for today's standards. It was the best in the market when it got released. :) I would either buy the new Sigma or a cheap 50/1.8 from Nikon/Sony/Canon or whatever brand you have. Something in-between isn't worth the money anymore. ;)

Last edited:
Just tried out this glass yesterday. Blown my mind.. Absolutely love the contrast & sharpness even wide open, stop a lil' bit down.. I'm stoke!

Just tried out this glass yesterday. Blown my mind.. Absolutely love the contrast & sharpness even wide open, stop a lil' bit down.. I'm stoke!
What abour posting some images for those of us who are not lucky enough to own one of these lenses to drool over?

How u guys find the weight of this lens? Is it balance well with body?
At 815g, it is heavier than 35 ART.

What abour posting some images for those of us who are not lucky enough to own one of these lenses to drool over?

Shot at f/2
14238224334_98c85db3de_b.jpg

Also at f/2
14237400544_f9b692e822_b.jpg

:cool: