Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens

Just get it..... Sigma in Nikon mount next to the Zeiss Otus and Nikon 58mm.

How do you find the Sigma Art compared with the Otus? Is the Art almost as good as the Otus or no match at all. Thanks

How do you find the Sigma Art compared with the Otus? Is the Art almost as good as the Otus or no match at all. Thanks

The Sigma is very sharp for sure, but at f/1.4, easy to see fringing. All undetectable by f/2.2. Tried on the D4. I treat the Otus as a speciality lens; useful at times as it is too heavy. Have to treat the Sigma the same, very heavy and huge. Prefer the smaller lenses like the 50mm f/1.4 and the 58mm f/1.4. Both lenses are very sharp, the Otus easily outperforms at f/1.4 (relatively) . But seriously, all more sharp than I need. In terms of color, never really liked the yellow hue of the Sigma from past experience, but I will know when I take it out for a spin tomorrow. This is only my second Sigma lens that I might want to keep. The rest........ just did not work for me. Focusing is very silent.

I shall wait and decide if this is the 50mm to get! I haven't been a fan of 50mm, but hey, maybe this is a go!

At a street price that's almost half of that of the Nikon 58mm f/1.4 and one-quarter that of the Otus and with an image quality second only to that of the Otus, it's a no-brainer that this is the 50mm to get. ;)

Very sharp wide-opened at f/1.4

original.jpg

1/200s f/1.4 at 50.0mm ISO 100
DOF is too narrow for head-on cat portraits though.

original.jpg

1/2500s f/1.4 at 50.0mm ISO 100
Great for high contrast/dynamic range challenging exposures though.

original.jpg

1/125s f/2.5 at 50.0mm ISO 400

original.jpg

1/125s f/4.5 at 50.0mm ISO 320

Last edited:
Any reviews of the Nikon version of this lens ? I'm primarily concerned about AF speed and color.

Thinking to get a 50mm for my Nikon (Been using the 50mm f/1.2 AIS, and want to have an AF 50mm for events) and i'm considering the Sigma vs the 50mm f1.4g.

Any reviews of the Nikon version of this lens ? I'm primarily concerned about AF speed and color.

Thinking to get a 50mm for my Nikon (Been using the 50mm f/1.2 AIS, and want to have an AF 50mm for events) and i'm considering the Sigma vs the 50mm f1.4g.

I have no problem with the AF speed of the Sigma lens on my Df. Super fast and silent.

Just get it..... Sigma in Nikon mount next to the Zeiss Otus and Nikon 58mm.

At a street price that's almost half of that of the Nikon 58mm f/1.4 and one-quarter that of the Otus and with an image quality second only to that of the Otus, it's a no-brainer that this is the 50mm to get. ;)

Yeah! I know right? I would get one when more stocks arrive and I start moving around a little less...

definitely a lens worth getting at the current street prices, no brainer

Anyone has compared this lens against its older counterpart? Is it worth the upgrade if one is looking at portraiture?

"In terms of our SQF test, the new Sigma beat out the 50mm f/1.4 offerings from Canon, Nikon, Sony and the Sony Zeiss. However the original Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX lens and the monstrous Zeiss 55mm Otus lens did edge it out, ever so slightly. Oddly enough, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX still holds the title of being our benchmark for 50mm f/1.4’s in this test."

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/04/lens-test-sigma-50mm-f14-dg-hsm-art-lens

Anyone has compared this lens against its older counterpart? Is it worth the upgrade if one is looking at portraiture?

"Where we saw the biggest differences in the lenses has to do with the sharpness wide open. In this case, Sigma's newer lens outperforms the older lens with almost no contest. Indeed, the newer lens is highly on par with its 35mm f1.4 Art cousin"

Which One? Sigma 50mm f1.4 I vs Sigma 50mm f1.4 II Art
http://www.thephoblographer.com/201...-f1-4-vs-sigma-50mm-f1-4-ii-art/#.U4YbR6yKCUk

Me waiting for the Sony mount as well..

Might have to just wait till Xmas...:bsmilie:

I doubted you and I called Cathay photo to check and they are really selling at SGD$1100++.
HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE??
US pricing is at $950!! OMG I'm SO GETTING THIS LENS. It's worth every single cent. ><

I doubted you and I called Cathay photo to check and they are really selling at SGD$1100++.
HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE??
US pricing is at $950!! OMG I'm SO GETTING THIS LENS. It's worth every single cent. ><

call some of the other shops and you may even get the lens at S$10XX

call some of the other shops and you may even get the lens at S$10XX

That's very close to sigma 35 art.

Besides focal length and weight difference, the next q is how is the head to head between these two ART?
Anyone who owns both lens can comment?