Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 EX APO HSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
its more than twice the weight of the 70-200f4L.

Shadus said:
yar! and u need a heavy tripod for big lens & bird photography. NOT BANAL.
Not to mention expensive too. Oh, and a good head too? A Wimberley, for instance? All this costs $$$, and it definitely ain't banal.
:D

gremlin said:
It depends on what kind of bird you are shooting. Big bird... ok la.... small bird... umm.. abit hard coz all u will see is probably a speck in your viewfinder.

Also depends on whether the bird is stationary. Flying big bird... harder to shoot but if you are lucky you can. Flying small bird, well...

Hope this is not banal :p

I am not going to shot wild bird and i know those lens are too expensive to justified my usage. The most I would buy is probably the 300f4IS or 400f5.6 but those prime and not very good for other general usage. right?

I am thinking of upgrading to 70-200f2.8 + 2x extender but I really dunno is it a good combo to show Zoo bird and animals.

For me, I think I prefer to shoot Animals and birds in the Zoo and birdpark.

NOT BANAL too give me a break pls :embrass:

Matrix said:
I am not going to shot wild bird and i know those lens are too expensive to justified my usage. The most I would buy is probably the 300f4IS or 400f5.6 but those prime and not very good for other general usage. right?

I am thinking of upgrading to 70-200f2.8 + 2x extender but I really dunno is it a good combo to show Zoo bird and animals.

For me, I think I prefer to shoot Animals and birds in the Zoo and birdpark.

NOT BANAL too give me a break pls :embrass:

sorry typo erro. is Shoot not show.

Bluestrike said:
Then any tele oso not your type liao...
sell all gear and forget abt shooting!

NOW THIS IS BANAL!

300mmf4is, 400mmf5.6L and 70-200f2.8 are all less then 1.5kg mah.

Matrix said:
2.6kg :bigeyes: not my type. thanks

I Second BlueStrike. If you find 2.6kg too heavy, basically you can forget about shooting birds. Hrm, how about investing on Photoshop and some good Resizing software? Shoot with a 50mm, enlarge it, and crop only the bird.

Not sure if this is BANAL. :embrass:

Matrix said:
2.6kg :bigeyes: not my type. thanks
Tell u what. Since u dun like the weight, why not just stick to what you have (i.e. your 70-200 f4 L), shoot with it, and be happy. No need to worry about "banal" answers from other people anymore. :rolleyes:

Matrix said:
300mmf4is, 400mmf5.6L and 70-200f2.8 are all less then 1.5kg mah.
err.. you comparing the class of 120-300/2.8
not the class of the 300/4.......there is a diff.......

so...if you really wan, just go get a 300/4IS and be done with it!

Bluestrike said:
err.. you comparing the class of 120-300/2.8
not the class of the 300/4.......there is a diff.......

so...if you really wan, just go get a 300/4IS and be done with it!

As mentioned earlier post. Let forget abt Sigma 120-300mm.

Now the choice is whether I should go for 70-200f2.8 + (1.4x or 2.0x) is better OR go for 300mmf4IS. But as mentioned earlier 300mmIS I felt it is limited in general usage. :think:

Matrix said:
As mentioned earlier post. Let forget abt Sigma 120-300mm.

Now the choice is whether I should go for 70-200f2.8 + (1.4x or 2.0x) is better OR go for 300mmf4IS. But as mentioned earlier 300mmIS I felt it is limited in general usage. :think:

sigh....
you still dunno what you wan after so much talking ... do you....

Bluestrike said:
sigh....
you still dunno what you wan after so much talking ... do you....
Yeah...u get the feeling that you've wasted your time and effort spent explaining to this guy don't you? Bang...back to square one with him asking the same question again. :p

Lets all move on and leave him be.

Garion said:
Yeah...u get the feeling that you've wasted your time and effort spent explaining to this guy don't you? Bang...back to square one with him asking the same question again. :p

Lets all move on and leave him be.
Sigh... now I know what YS mean by the sentence he made .....

Sigh sigh.,.........

Actually, all good advice is no banal...
Even if it's contrary to wat he wants to hear...
At least now he know that the lens he wanted to buy is not for him yet.
if everyone tells him wat he wants to hear, he would've made a bad decision if he bought the lens. Which is indirectly, partly our fault...

So to presuade him not to buy the lens for bird photography as the zoom is not enough helped him alot...

Unless U have :devil: intentions & want him to sell the lens to U at 2nd hand price after he bought it & found it not useful...

But then again... this post is BANAL. :D

70-200 f/4L not good enough to take photos in Zoo/Birdpark? Need 70-200 f/2.8L IS then can? :eek: Maybe its not the lens but the camera body that is at fault. Instead of thinking about changing lens, why not think of changing body, eg: Eos-1D - now drop to US$3k liao.

LOL. tht's cute.
anyway, hv u taken our advice to go out & shoot wif your eqpt first?
70-200f/4L shoot in zoo is more than enuff! dun see wht's the advantage of a f2.8 in this case.

btw, kind advice,
photography is not like computers, where u upgrade a graphic card, *bang*, u get instant gratification.

eqpt plays a much much more smaller role, if any role at all, in producing a winning picture.

wan bang for buck... just get the sigma 50-500/f3.5 to 6.3... for its price its probably the best value for money... just look at the shots viewfinder is capable of with it.

300/f4... I wont get it cos it is neither here nor there... and if you don have a 70-200 you are better off with a 70-200 then a 300 prime. Another alternative would be the 100-400

Status
Not open for further replies.