Shutter Count

Cowseye said:
Need at least $100 more for me to for the time factor for traveling to NSC..

But the cost of the shutter unit is not
$400, no?

Go NSC also can self-poison ;)

ZerocoolAstra said:
But the cost of the shutter unit is not
$400, no?

Go NSC also can self-poison ;)

Depends on the camera body. There might be more problem than shutter count??
Haha, I'm pretty much immune to NSC. But I love going there to get product brochures. Haha

I must make a trip there these days to get the D4 brochure

What are the symptoms it wil give before nearing the shutter death?

And how do I know it is dead? Like it cannot fire anymore, blank screen, cannot switch on or what?

I cannot afford for it to happen in the middle of an assignment.

Don't worry so much with shutter count. My "dinosaur" DSLR has exceeded 400k but still refuse to die. No excuse to upgrade :(
And even if the shutter fails, it's repairable. Even a non-Nikon technician can replace shutter, sometimes at a better rate. ;)

What are the symptoms it wil give before nearing the shutter death?

And how do I know it is dead? Like it cannot fire anymore, blank screen, cannot switch on or what?

I cannot afford for it to happen in the middle of an assignment.

Some pros do a preventive maintenance. They send their camera for regular check up or even get shutter replaced after the camera has reached a very high shutter count

Usually pros have a back up camera (and lens) because anything can happen, not only shutter failure.

How to check if it's shutter failure? If an error occurs, you can manually lift the mirror (with extreme care, don't touch the shiny part with sweaty fingers), behind the mirror is the shutter. It should be fully closed with no signs of damage.
But actually, no point checking, you can't do anything anyway. Just send it for repair

Here's an example of a damaged shutter. It's not Nikon but it looks almost similar
DSC_2769.jpg

Usually, the whole shutter assembly is replaced but sometimes the blades only can also be replaced
Here's how the blades looks like. The one on top is the damaged blade. the two at the bottom are new blades
DSC_2772.jpg

Last edited:
Some pros do a preventive maintenance. They send their camera for regular check up or even get shutter replaced after the camera has reached a very high shutter count

Usually pros have a back up camera (and lens) because anything can happen, not only shutter failure.

How to check if it's shutter failure? If an error occurs, you can manually lift the mirror (with extreme care, don't touch the shiny part with sweaty fingers), behind the mirror is the shutter. It should be fully closed with no signs of damage.
But actually, no point checking, you can't do anything anyway. Just send it for repair

Here's an example of a damaged shutter. It's not Nikon but it looks almost similar
DSC_2769.jpg

Usually, the whole shutter assembly is replaced but sometimes the blades only can also be replaced
Here's how the blades looks like. The one on top is the damaged blade. the two at the bottom are new blades
DSC_2772.jpg

how to check for shutter count? by the running number on our photo taken?

My cameras' shutter counts should be less than 100k. But I never worry about.

You can refer to this website for shutter counts for different cameras. Camera Shutter Life Database

D4 to 400K so we all better go buy one... lolz ;)

1DX also :)

Don't worry so much with shutter count. My "dinosaur" DSLR has exceeded 400k but still refuse to die. No excuse to upgrade :(
And even if the shutter fails, it's repairable. Even a non-Nikon technician can replace shutter, sometimes at a better rate. ;)

Wow...may I know what is your camera model?

Just use the last photo taken by the camera and use in any exif viewer software. One of them is Opanda

too bad, it does not work on my a230 and 7d. :(

I'm using that too! But you know the price of a D100... I EXPECT it to hit 1 million clicks... :angry:

Yup, it was around S$3k :eek: when it was launched a few years back but I got mine 2nd hand so I didn't pay that much.
I have seen a few D70 with extremely high shutter count as well

Very nice ah.. Hahahah, example, the Nikon F5 supposedly rated for 150k? Apparently some people shot over a million and its still working, as said by everyone, that's the estimation, I have friends whose camera is rated for only 50k, they've gone past that to about 100k or more, if its too old and you are looking a reason to upgrade, as zerocoolastra said, you can use it as a paper weight hahaha

Bro, in the old days, the F single digit series bodies comes with titanium shutters... they don't make them like they used to....

I'm glad manufacturers don't always try to make things like they used to, or else us consumers will be paying through the nose for something like titanium shutters (and those are just the blades, not the springs, joints, etc), when there exist newer, lighter and cheaper materials.