Show us your lighting setups - Part 2

eejal

Deregistered
May 4, 2005
End of the Line
As adviced by beloved bro chngpe01, I'm starting this thread as per the previous thread started by own very own J-Chan.

Try to keep this thread clean and keep your beautiful Strobist photos to 4 at max. So we can share and learn from each other.

Here are some of mine..
Did quite sometime ago with my kakis...

4627260568_eeb33a50f8_b.jpg

4627213916_54479b4d5d_b.jpg

01 x SB800 placed on the model's left hand rear, flagged.
01 x SB800 placed on the model's right hand side.
01 x SB28 in a 30x30cm Softbox held high on the model's left fronthand side...

Gears: Fuji S5 Pro, PT-04 Triggers, Nikon 50mm f1.8.

Last edited:
I was having problems in attaching my Flickr photos in here with the new Flickr interface. Same procedures as per old style?

not true blue strobist. shot at home with a jinbei 600w strobe.

4719579811_9290a2b5aa_b.jpg

the setup

4776721379_b26862e99b_b.jpg

Last edited:
davidcindy008.jpg

1 X SB-800 at 1/1 on near the rear of the car
1 X SB-800 at 1/4 on the left of the image
1 X hot light at the back to light up the couple's background lightly, and I shaded it slightly darker in PS

4770638447_423d7f9717.jpg

Advertorial photograph for Saint Andrew's Junior College. Models (L to R): Min Yan, Hui Lin, Zexun (yours truly), Aldris

5D + 17-40L on tripod

Strobist: 580EXII triggered by PW Plus II @ 1/2 power 24mm into shoot through umbrella 1m from middle of group, slightly to the camera's right. SB800 in SU-4 mode, 1/8 into reflective umbrella, 2m away from left of group.

It's great to see the growing interest in off-camera lighting and creative use of light!

It would even be better if you could share some BTS (Behind-The-Scene) shots of the lighting set-ups used or even simple lighting set-up diagrams on paper napkins or elaborate and precise lighting diagrams.

If you prefer to present your set-ups in a more 'chio' way here are some free programs you could use :cool:

http://www.kevinkertz.com/fm/LightingSetup.psd.zip

This program was designed by Kevin Kertz, is free for non-commercial usage and have been widely used by thousands of photographers to share or discuss lighting techniques and approaches in various forums.

Here's another one:

http://www.lightingdiagrams.com/

and more

http://www.diyphotography.net/lighting-diagrams

Note: Please respect and follow all terms and conditions of use by the creators.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:
Wow, pretty impressive shots and diagrams to go along as well.. Yea, the original thread was getting more OT and messy..

Need to dig up some shots, haven't been shooting much lately..

4777464060_9d9873127e_b.jpg

Choices...

Do I want a few Lumopro LP160 flashes for strobist, or do I want an 85mm f/1.8 again? Hmm...

Strobist:
580EXII triggered by PW Plus II
1/4 power into 60x60cm softbox, 1m from me, camera left, angled slighly to the side.

SB800 triggered by SU-4
1/16 power, 105mm direct flash 1m from camera right of subject, slightly to the back.

SB800 triggered by SU-4
1/8 power bounced against wall, camera right.

Edited in Lightroom 2

Will try to create a diagram tomorrow...

:thumbsup: wow i really like this light

4777464060_9d9873127e_b.jpg

Choices...

Do I want a few Lumopro LP160 flashes for strobist, or do I want an 85mm f/1.8 again? Hmm...

Strobist:
580EXII triggered by PW Plus II
1/4 power into 60x60cm softbox, 1m from me, camera left, angled slighly to the side.

SB800 triggered by SU-4
1/16 power, 105mm direct flash 1m from camera right of subject, slightly to the back.

SB800 triggered by SU-4
1/8 power bounced against wall, camera right.

Edited in Lightroom 2

Will try to create a diagram tomorrow...

dang makes me wanna learn more :D

hey guys, how's your set up work flow like? how do you know where to place the speedlites, whether shoot through or reflect, and most imptly the strength of the flash (im guessing trial and error for flash power)

4783864994_0273e5dd98_b.jpg

A simple shot done for a women's magazine.

4786778644_a5f6d46757_o.jpg

1/80, f5.6, ISO 400
Canon 580EXII with shoot-thru umbrella on 1/4 power.
Silver reflector as fill.
Triggered by power wizards.

hey guys, how's your set up work flow like? how do you know where to place the speedlites, whether shoot through or reflect, and most imptly the strength of the flash (im guessing trial and error for flash power)

The best place to start is with the basics. Many skip this because it's so tedious and let's face it - it can be downright boring (unless you're particularly inclined towards science and physics) and get stuck later on when they want to grow or explore.

Learn about the 'classic' lighting approaches for different genres of work, then start looking at other peoples' work that you like, or are impressed with. Learn to 'look at light' and 'see light', first through your eyes, then in your mind.

There are tons of articles on 'the basics of ____________ (fill in subject) lighting' on the net, books in the library and also lots of great videos on youtube! Some of these videos are great - it's a whole show-and-tell learning experience all FOC on your screen! :)

As for how much, or little light to use - you could also learn the proper/classic way to do that with a flashmeter, or go by trial and error. Some still prefer to wackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwack till it looks 'right'. With experience, it becomes wackcheckwackcheck voila!

CHEERS!

The best place to start is with the basics. Many skip this because it's so tedious and let's face it - it can be downright boring (unless you're particularly inclined towards science and physics) and get stuck later on when they want to grow or explore.

Learn about the 'classic' lighting approaches for different genres of work, then start looking at other peoples' work that you like, or are impressed with. Learn to 'look at light' and 'see light', first through your eyes, then in your mind.

There are tons of articles on 'the basics of ____________ (fill in subject) lighting' on the net, books in the library and also lots of great videos on youtube! Some of these videos are great - it's a whole show-and-tell learning experience all FOC on your screen! :)

As for how much, or little light to use - you could also learn the proper/classic way to do that with a flashmeter, or go by trial and error. Some still prefer to wackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwackcheckadjustwack till it looks 'right'. With experience, it becomes wackcheckwackcheck voila!

CHEERS!

HAHA, okay very comprehensive answer, i like! yes i have borrowed books from the library and read up on lighting 101 and abit of 102 on strobist.com! to be honest, it has become abit tedious and i've started becoming restless and tried out a few off shoe lighting photos but they seem far from what i thought it would be. i guess i will live the way of trial and error and wack, but put in more effort to the books and reading materials! hopefully someday i'll come up with a worthy enough photo for critique!

The photo and lighting diagram are one and the same.. ;)