short trip oversea with camera *tips*

Dun take it so badly. Rashkae's way of advice is different. He makes u think rather than spoon feed u.. "Tell me and I will forget. Teach me and I will learn. Involve me and I will remember."

Yar.. I get it.. I have thank the person via pm. Out of respect, the approach can be more rounded.. it took me a couple of pm to understand.. I pity those who don't get it in the end.

I always try to bring my 3M micro-fibre cloth, err it's like a kitchen towel/hanky
Have used it draped on the camera when it's drizzling, wipe off all sorts of gunk, dries quickly

Sorry.. what is this 3m micro cloth? First time hearing this and I didn't quite noticed this in funan. Googled this and this scotchbrite lens cleaning cloth shows up. Is this it?

looks more pricey then the usual lens "tissue".

Sorry.. what is this 3m micro cloth? First time hearing this and I didn't quite noticed this in funan. Googled this and this scotchbrite lens cleaning cloth shows up. Is this it?

3m microfibre cloth can be bought at any hardware store and most supermarkets. Costs 3-5 dollars.

3m microfibre cloth can be bought at any hardware store and most supermarkets. Costs 3-5 dollars.

Ah.. sounds interesting, shall check that out tmr. Shall give it a check n see what the diff between the lens tissue harvey is selling for 85c per pax

Its not 3m..its 3M brand micro fiber cloth..very useful...

Invest a lenspen too..rocket blower..dump that in ur camera bag too..

Just wack the photos..dun worry about getting dirt on the camera etc..

Dslr can take a beating...enjoy e trip..

Ah.. sounds interesting, shall check that out tmr. Shall give it a check n see what the diff between the lens tissue harvey is selling for 85c per pax

Lens tissue is exactly that - one use disposable tissues

Its not 3m..its 3M brand micro fiber cloth..very useful...

Invest a lenspen too..rocket blower..dump that in ur camera bag too..

Just wack the photos..dun worry about getting dirt on the camera etc..

Dslr can take a beating...enjoy e trip..

Lens tissue is exactly that - one use disposable tissues

Haha.. thanks.
Can consider a travel size cleaning kit like the above listed.. handy if minor mess occurred.. good advise.

Use the cloth that comes with every pair of spectacles.

Me, I just use the tissue that the aunties sell at 3 packs a dollar.

You'll probably get to do this less than 5 times before you dump your camera. On almost every trip I never have to clean anything.

Other cleaning times are at home, you can break out the $10,000 lens cleaning kit.

Just adding some additional info from a couple of PMs which think are helpful.

From Hinata, Thanks!
Travel Photography Tips

From Alex, Thanks for the condensation reminder.

Normally i dun care much. Haha. Even bring my camera into a simulated chamber -10ºC during my trip to NZ. Jz try to avoid sudden change in temperature. Jz like in chamber and immediately use in a room temp environment. Minor condensation will cause water mark on lenses. Serious cases will cause fungus to grow if u do not keep it dry for long period of time.

Originally Posted by CasualBear

Hi Alex..
Thanks for ur pm.
Sound advise all round.
U mentioned condensation.. wrt how did u tackled this problem?
Unquote

Thanks all for your words of wisdom.

I just heard something else interesting from a little birdie who works at the NSC.
the "blue cloth" from COURTS is good for cleaning lens while on travel.
I gathered this is the "vanguard cleaning kit", not sure the brand as i think due to company policy, the birdie did not disclose the brand while still at work ;)

Can anyone verify this?
i paid a visit to Giant which happens to be near my workplace and i discovered more cleaning material potentially are good.
microfibre car cleaning cloth. not so sure about unknow brands, but 3M has their own and although its not as smooth as the usual len cleaning cloth we are familiar to, the description says its safe for all surface and does not scratch protective layer on paint. Any thoughts on this?

i think we need like some material engineer here.. lol.

its actually the same cloth when u buy laptops/tv...one that normally comes with a spray...remember i got it when bought a laptop...those kind..
normally is blue in colour..material is like..ribbed like texture..aka micro fiber type.not really specs cloth.

look around courts stores..under TV section..its all in blister packs..cloth+spray for LCD monitors/TV.. thats the cloth.pretty darn useful!

i used it on specs/mobile phones before applying screen protectors..clean monitors...clean lcd of my camera...clean the lens glass...

to wash it just wash lor..then hang outside window to dry..

useful piece of cloth..

oh..doesnt scratched any of my stuff yet....heehee...in these 5 years of using that same cloth..so dun worry!
dun use 30 cents tissues..they can scratch ur specs..imagine wat they can do to ur lens glass?

im using this for 5 years now..
0CXgzAv.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this had been posted yet in this thread (didn't read from the first to last comments) anyway, saw this posted sometime ago, do tape your lens release button, there are reports that someone could easily dislodge your lens and steal it... although from all my travels, I never met this type of theft personally (maybe all my lens used are cheapo lenses). Either way, enjoy your trip :)

its actually the same cloth when u buy laptops/tv...one that normally comes with a spray...remember i got it when bought a laptop...those kind..
normally is blue in colour..material is like..ribbed like texture..aka micro fiber type.not really specs cloth.

look around courts stores..under TV section..its all in blister packs..cloth+spray for LCD monitors/TV.. thats the cloth.pretty darn useful!

i used it on specs/mobile phones before applying screen protectors..clean monitors...clean lcd of my camera...clean the lens glass...

to wash it just wash lor..then hang outside window to dry..

useful piece of cloth..

dun use 30 cents tissues..they can scratch ur specs..imagine wat they can do to ur lens glass?

im using this for 5 years now..

Wow.. fantastic description here.. thanks for the effort! Shall go snoop ard the TVs section later.. ;)

Bangkok ia a walk in the park. Just pack as if normally would in local photowalks. Just remember to sling your cam across your chest. As for cleaning kit, just bring your run of the mill stuff.

oh come on...

First.. Your camera is not made of tofu.
Second. Yea i understand your dear d5200 + 18-270mm is not cheap..

However..really..dont think too much and Just be normal..go ahead and enjoy your holiday..take picture as and when you need to.. However do practice common sense and be street smart..
Alittle dust/dirt or rain water on the camera or lens will not make it malfunction or less pretty. :)

Enjoy the trip. Be vigilant though, don't worry about your camera and lens. If you've got a lens hood, slap it on, or a UV lens filter, or both if you're really paranoid. Just remember to remove the filter if you're taking any night shots. :)

yeap. just use it as per normal.

of course use commonsense also. eg don't go into a dark alley at night etc etc.

Casual bear - tag one question on your thread.. :)

Most of us are aware of street smart.. But do you guys go to extreme miles to tape your brand only or your entire camera to make it look "ugly"?

Just curious if it's require to tape the camera anot.. :)

Just found more details about the tape..

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/527931-gaffer-tape-camera.html

:p

Last edited:

Most of us are aware of street smart.. But do you guys go to extreme miles to tape your brand only or your entire camera to make it look "ugly"?

Nope. Some people use gaffer tape to protect the camera from bumps. Others tape over the brand because they are anti-advertising.

Been to Bangkok yearly and I can say you be quite safe with your gear there compare to other country but don't take it for granted.
As for preparation, as stated by many bros, its not necessary. What the bros here trying to put across is don't be a slave of your gear.
Just travel light, I only bring a lens pen for cleaning in case I accidentally stained my lens.
Just relax and enjoy your trip, that the purpose for the trips right? :)

Sure.. Np..

I think birders Gaffer with camou tapes to break the outline of the gear so as not to frighten the birds..

As not asthetics reasons.. just putting on n removing it later seems too much effort. I'm never good with sticking stuff.. all my screen protection seems less than ideal after application..

Quick "field update"..

OMG.. Bkk is so dusty..!! I sworn the cam is covered in a layer of dust after a 15mins open air bus ride..
I guess that's where the blower is for..
I'm listening to the many advise to keep.it simple
But I'm so thankful I still brought the camera sleeve... from immigration a careless security officer just took my bag n slammed it on the track for the X-ray machine.. to all the bumps I m getting into when I walked thru the crowd... I just feel safer when the sleeve is on.

I just feel like I'm missing a wet wipe kinda tissue to clean off the dust. I Hope to share a couple of nice shots by the end of the trip.. traveling with the parents.. I'm either helping them carrying something or I'm busy translating English.. :/

watch out with the bumps..

once a while check ur gears...a slight bump could mean something bad.

check wallet/passport/handphone/camera/lenses..

It really depends...Some people i know tape their stuff so..

1) So "nobody" know what lenses or Brand of camera they using (Personal preferences i believe?.. no comments)
2) Camera still look as good or better when they decided to sell it. (tape act as a form of protection somehow..)
3) To tape it and purposely to make it look ugly..so it would'nt catch much attention.. (erm sometimes it works..but..nobody know what the thieves might be thinking anyway)

In the end..its your choice..
Myself i dont tape my stuff. :bsmilie: