sharpness setting for 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

cd.

Nov 6, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
hi, 400D users,

Just got a 2nd hand 400D kit, and busy testing these two days. But most of the shots are rather soft from the kit lens. Before heading into a much more expensive lens, would like to know how you guys set your sharpness in the picture style normally.

Thanks!

cd.

i set +1 in my 350D.

kitlens also. if u use it with the correct method it will be sharp.(eg. stop down aperture, stop handshake, use flash to reveal detail)

kitlens also. if u use it with the correct method it will be sharp.(eg. stop down aperture, stop handshake, use flash to reveal detail)

you can see my flickr and picasa all shot on kitlens(check exif focal length)

you can see my flickr and picasa all shot on kitlens(check exif focal length)

Really appreciate your advice, actually, I tried with f-stop like 8 or more smaller and shutter speed 1/60s or faster. Just have the feeling that DSLR is much more sensitive to hand shake or object moving. Anyway, will try again. Thanks.

Yes please make sure not to rule out user error.

Make sure you are steady, and the camera and lens are all steady when shooting. Check your handholding technique. And of course, make sure you're focusing on the right thing.

Hello, can post picture? :cheers:

using the sharpness setting will induce sharpening artifacts which may be visible on larger prints...

Hello, can post picture? :cheers:

l

looks handshake to me... always shoot at speed of 1/focal lenght....

First picture looks like handshake to me. Very obvious. My general rule when shooting kids is nothing less than 1/60. 1/45 if the kid is the obedient kind.

I can't comment on your second photo... it looks ok to me.

First one looks either like camera shake or subject movement.
Second one looks fine.

Work on your handholding technique and learn to judge minimum shutter speed needed for moving subjects.

hi, guys,

Thanks a lot for the comments. Tried again with fast shutter speed and with flash, the results are much better. Also tried shoot by raw, and raw is so much better than the Jpeg.

Just wondering, last time when I shoot with compact, I can get sharp images even at 1/20s. But with 400D, less than 1/60s, the images are very likely soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.