Sharing my research on ::DRY CABINETS.::

Wah so your built in is 28 and the rest are 42, 44 and 51? Sounds like mine :p My digital one says 44 but the inbuilt one says 33. I think maybe I should get an industrial grade one to solve the issue once and for all. Anyone knows of sources for highly calibrated hygrometers?

Wah so your built in is 28 and the rest are 42, 44 and 51? Sounds like mine :p My digital one says 44 but the inbuilt one says 33. I think maybe I should get an industrial grade one to solve the issue once and for all. Anyone knows of sources for highly calibrated hygrometers?
You saw wrongly, my built-in meter on the top right corner showed RH was 43% and temp was 28C.

My Digicabi digital hygrometer is way off compared to a separate digital hygrometer. Its about -15% difference! Iwonder which is spoilt. Anyone has any experiences to share?

Changed the battery? Most measuring devices get far off once the power supply runs low.

Hmm interesting point; I'll try change the battery on the digital hygrometer and see. I presume the cabinet's one is powered yb electricity rigth?

Changed the battery? Most measuring devices get far off once the power supply runs low.

Hmm interesting point; I'll try change the battery on the digital hygrometer and see. I presume the cabinet's one is powered yb electricity rigth?

I don't know your cabinet. There are 2 main series of Digi with different concept. If you set the target RH at the hygrometer (top right corner of the door, from outside) then most likely it is powered by AC. If you set the RH by the knob / dial at the back of the cabinet (need to open the door) then the RH meter in the door is powered by battery.

Mine is the digital type; the first version you mentioned.

Just changed the abttery on my hygrometer and still the same :(

I don't know your cabinet. There are 2 main series of Digi with different concept. If you set the target RH at the hygrometer (top right corner of the door, from outside) then most likely it is powered by AC. If you set the RH by the knob / dial at the back of the cabinet (need to open the door) then the RH meter in the door is powered by battery.

Industrial grade cabi will cost a bomb. Tolihan makes very good cabi, but the prices is scarely. :)

A simple 2 doors 200L will cost almost ~$2K for the Industrial grade. This is because the Industrial Grade ones can actually down the humidity back to the set value upon door open in approx 5mins.

Interesting idea. Am using two dry cabinets now but has been thinking of getting just one big one instead. But now that you mention the advantage of having separate controls.

Actually my lenses grew fungus when the humidity was 60% when my Akarui analog meter showed 50% when it was actually 60%. Meters can be inaccurate so it is good to have a separate meter for calibration. Now a little kiasu and setting it at 40-45%.

Question. Why "light seal" the cabi? Doesn't UV light inhibit mold growth and mould grows better in the dark? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Dark_help_mold_grow_faster That's why some people recommend bringing the lenses out to use to prevent fungus.
Yes although light contains UV, but it is no doubt a requirement for fungus to grow.

The high graded dry cabinets are all 'light seal' by default. You can check this info out with many of the old timers. :)

Yes although light contains UV, but it is no doubt a requirement for fungus to grow.

The high graded dry cabinets are all 'light seal' by default. You can check this info out with many of the old timers. :)

Fungus do not need light to grow lah. I think you have confused fungus with plants which undergo photosynthesis. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081020171639AA0jAok

Hi guys, was planning to purchase a dry cabinet.. so i made a comparison between Digi-Cabi and Aipo. (both Digital Humidity Controller version) correct me please if my math is wrong...

Digi-Cabi - 40L @ $238SGD size W33cm x D32cm x H49cm = 51744 cm cube that's equal to 51.7Liters (thats 11.7L more!? :bigeyes:)

Aipo - 48L @ $220SGD size W290mm x D300mm x H570mm (converting to cm gives us) W29cm x D30 x H57 = 49590 cm cube that's equal to 49.5Liters (thats 1.5Liters extra!)

#Volume = Length x Breath x Height

#Online Volume Converter - http://www.webmasterorbit.com/volume-converter.html

* Both comes with 5 years warranty
**Both uses something like 1 or 1.5mm thick powder coated steel i assume (judging from the looks of photos and the Akarui i saw at Cathay Photo)
**given that one may have measured inside to inside and another have measured outside to outside why is there so much discrepancy?? unless my maths is wrong... :think: or maybe one of them had the dimension rounded off too much?.

I like the built and feel of Akarui's dry cabinets from Cathay Photo but i don't think they have units with Digital Humidity Controller. or do they? any body knows? :dunno:

I don't mean to offend anybody or any company here... I'm just sharing my observation.

Peace :sweatsm:

PS thanks FilmNoir for starting this tread... It was very very helpful :thumbsup:

**given that one may have measured inside to inside and another have measured outside to outside why is there so much discrepancy?? unless my maths is wrong... :think: or maybe one of them had the dimension rounded off too much?.

sorry! sorry! silly me! i didn't consider the clearance from floor, maybe the the stand (legs) are taller compared to the other, thats why the big discrepancy.. :bsmilie::sweat:

A brief update: Carrefour @ Suntec City has several DigiCab cabinets on display and a big "No stock" sign. I asked one of their employees and apparently Carrefour has no plans to replenish the stock and to sell dry cabinets in future. Asked whether the models on display are going to be available for purchase, the guys replied with "Nobody knows"; those are in bad conditions anyway.

Does anyone own a Value fungus-free dry box (www.rodex.com)?

I noticed their product numbers go by VDB or VDB-DP. Do they refer to analogue and digital settings respectively?

hi, anyone heard of the moonlight series from digi cabi? the sales mentioned its the same as analog...

im still thinking and considering which version i should get..a digital or analog..argghh

Never put any leather into your cabinet. Not even if it's nice-smelling. And certainly not unless you want fungus to fester and mingle around with your expensive toys.

I refer to above. I was told by many sales man that it is good to get bigger cabinet so that i can store my leather stuffs to prevent fungus growing. :dunno:

Arghh! Bought a Digicabi AD instead of DHC, forgot about the electric cutoff feature that the Digital one has. I thought its just the feature of accuracy that the DHC gives.

For saving of $80+ (cos I bought a 120L) not sure if the 5W constant usage have a large enough impact on the electricity bill.

Last edited:
sorry but i had to ask... i went to carrefour today to check out the digicabi. realised that they are all plastic trays. does the aipo or akarui have metal trays instead? my office's digicabi was metal tray, so was quite shocked when i saw plastic.

anybody has any bad or good comments about the plastic tray over metal tray?

sorry but i had to ask... i went to carrefour today to check out the digicabi. realised that they are all plastic trays. does the aipo or akarui have metal trays instead? my office's digicabi was metal tray, so was quite shocked when i saw plastic.

anybody has any bad or good comments about the plastic tray over metal tray?

I don't see the difference between metal and plastic tray...

anyone know where can get a good reasonable price cabinet ??