Serpents...

Schmike

Dec 22, 2007
Some old and recent shots of snakes.

Disclaimer:
Do not get near any snake if you don't know what it is. Leave it alone and walk away from it.
Queries of locations will be ignored.

Big-eyed Green Whip Snake/Malayan Whip Snake (Ahaetulla mycterizans) by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

Oriental whip snake (Ahaetulla prasina) by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

Oriental whip snake (Ahaetulla prasina) by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

Painted Bronzeback (Dendrelaphis pictus) by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

Kopstein's Bronzeback (Dendrelaphis kopsteini) by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

WoW ..... nice shots of the scaly kind :thumbsup:

Good shots of the serpents edwin! :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:heart: them all

'LIKE!'

Thanks.

Really need some luck and lots of attention to find them. Most of the time they are too well camouflaged. At times, I can miss them but find them after standing at the area staring all over the place for quite some time.

The beauty and characteristics of these creatures never fails to fascinate me.

Very nice, were they taken in the wild? Great shots!

Thanks.

Almost walked straight into this little fella and end up in hospital. Luckily I managed to spot it within ~1m away from me.

Wagler's Pit Viper (Tropidolaemus wagleri ) by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

u r trained in snakes i suppose.. i woudnt wanna get near those..

but i like the photos... :)

Nice series but I scare of snake;)
Thanks.

u r trained in snakes i suppose.. i woudnt wanna get near those..

but i like the photos... :)

I'm not trained. But I know what I'm doing and I read up on them. I make sure I can recognize all the dangerous species to keep myself safe.

Thanks.

Thanks for sharing all these wonderful images! I am a serpent hunter myself (but I really need a lot more practice in it!) and I understand just how difficult it is to spot them. :thumbsup:

Sometimes it's just the angle that you see and approach the area. I've missed quite a few before.

Frankly speaking, if I were to approach the Wagler's from the opposite direction, I might walk straight into that small tree and right into it. I was lucky that I came from the back of it. It was slanted downwards with its white belly attracting my attention in the dark with my limited light source. Otherwise, I should be either lying in hospital or in a coffin right now.

With respect to your earlier post, I will not ask for the locations in which you tend to shoot at, but may I ask do you venture into the forest at night to find them?

And yes, shooting snakes can be quite a dangerous thing considering how some of them are so venomous.

Thanks for your understanding. I don't wish to cause any alarm to the general public and/or attracting poachers or ignorant people to go to the locations to disturb them.

I do both day and night.

Yes, I understand. Do you spot snakes every time you head out to photograph them?

I wish I'm that lucky. Sadly, in Singapore, that's not the case. I have countless snake-less trips.