Seeking Advise for Macro Lens

dabzie

Sep 8, 2015
singapore
Hi I've been in the market for a new and better macro lens for some time now.
I currently have the cheap Nikon 40mm 2.8g DX micro which served me well on my D7200 body. It produces very sharp images on both macro and portrait(but very close!) work.

Now I want to move up to doing macro on my FF body (D610) and got down to choosing between Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro and Nikkor 105mm 2.8 Micro VR lenses.

Tokina has very good reviews very comparable (some says even better) to Nikkor 105mm VR when it comes to image quality. It's also a lot cheaper. The only thing that it does not offer is VR and of course it's a third party lens (not that it matters).

I'm not sure if VR does help me get better images, but my experience with 40mm 2.8g DX is kind of a hit or miss when hand held during walk about. I would say it's a good feature to have but by no means necessary for me.

Recently I was offered a used but in mint condition Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR micro (made in japan version) for 650SGD. It is still more expensive than a brand new Tokina (worth around 500-550SGD) but compared to its original brand new price it seems like a sweet deal.

Is there anyone who have both these lenses? or have used both of them in the past? Would you recommend I go with Nikon or forget it and go with Tokina instead?
Can you tell which one produces better sharpness? better bokeh on portraits?

Thanks!

Macro lenses are a little too sharp and not flattering for portraits.
VR helps mostly for general shooting. Not great at macro distances.
The Tokina ATX is an old design co-designed with Pentax.
Consider also the Tamron 90/2.8 VC.

Thanks Castor Troy.
I do notice the extreme sharpness on portrait photos using the 40mm 2.8 g so I definitely agree with you on that one. My wife even complains that it shows the impurities in her face lol! But I do like this sort of photography, specially when shooting animals up close :)

I'll take a look at Tamron 90mm 2.8G VC as you suggested. I see the price on a used one hovers around 500-600SGD while a brand new is about the same as Nikon 105mm 2.8g micro.

All those macro lenses work very well, sharpness etc quite similar from reviews. Though I have not used any of those lenses, the deal for Nikon 105mm micro sounds good can just get it. The Tamron and Tokina are slightly lighter if that's really important for you.