Screw the Newbie/Pointless-Question-Asker

When somebody posts and often asked question about lenses/cameras what would you do?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as a moderator, my answer to your poll is to give the newbie a gentle reminder that the question/topic has been discussed before. No need to be cold and harsh.

:)

This is probably the most fair statement so far.

I would not want to go to a doctor and get mocked at for not reading and googling up what was the likely cause of my signs and symptoms, and be spoon fed not only the medication but also the diagnosis and what to do. People seek help for many reasons, I would think reassurance is a valid reason.

While spoon feeding is really not the way to go, there is no need to top it off with contempt and impoliteness.

Ryan

is this gentle enough??

DSC_0084.jpg

to be honest, i dont see whats wrong with newbies asking questions which veterans may find 'lame' or 'silly'. if every newbie look for answers from reviewers/editorials/articles, then you'll have empty forums talking about L lenses and fast constant apertures. its what keep the forums going. so what is termed a 'lame' or 'unnecessary' question and what is not? if what we want are 'professional' questions like flash ratios/metering debates/Photoshop curves/HDR, sure, those who are working pros may find this lame as well. what im trying to say is a newbie's questions may seem lame to someone who has been in photography for 5-6 years, but a question from someone who's had 5-6 years' experience may seem 'lame' to someone who earns his living from photography for the past 20 years. if you're in the forums, it means you're there to discuss/debate/opine/ask/answer, so if you get upset about lame questions (to you at least), then you should be doing something less interactive. if you enjoy photography and its a passion to you, you would be glad to give answers just to anyone who asks, eventho it may be the 15th or 20th time you're providing that answer. why? becos if you enjoy a hobby immensely, it would be a pleasure to share your experience, no matter how many times you have to repeat yourself. actually you are not repeating yourself, nobody drag you into a forum at gunpoint to answer questions which you dont wish to answer. so live and let live.

I believe every single forum experiences newbies coming into the forum asking questions that had already been asked to death. There's no way to avoid them and the difference between a friendly forum and an unfriendly one lies with its members or rather how members answer these questions.

Its easy for lao jiaos to forget what it feels like to be a newbie, but that does not mean someone has to answer the question in detail each and every time its asked. Just post a link where the answer lies and I'm sure the newbie will be thankful.

Most veterans forget that they were once newbies and were asking the same "newbie" questions that the newbies are now asking. When they were newbies, there's nothing wrong....when they become veterans, suddenly they take offence.

Good post :) I have never stopped answering questions relating to legal aspects of photography even though they have been asked many many times. :)

to be honest, i dont see whats wrong with newbies asking questions which veterans may find 'lame' or 'silly'. if every newbie look for answers from reviewers/editorials/articles, then you'll have empty forums talking about L lenses and fast constant apertures. its what keep the forums going. so what is termed a 'lame' or 'unnecessary' question and what is not? if what we want are 'professional' questions like flash ratios/metering debates/Photoshop curves/HDR, sure, those who are working pros may find this lame as well. what im trying to say is a newbie's questions may seem lame to someone who has been in photography for 5-6 years, but a question from someone who's had 5-6 years' experience may seem 'lame' to someone who earns his living from photography for the past 20 years. if you're in the forums, it means you're there to discuss/debate/opine/ask/answer, so if you get upset about lame questions (to you at least), then you should be doing something less interactive. if you enjoy photography and its a passion to you, you would be glad to give answers just to anyone who asks, eventho it may be the 15th or 20th time you're providing that answer. why? becos if you enjoy a hobby immensely, it would be a pleasure to share your experience, no matter how many times you have to repeat yourself. actually you are not repeating yourself, nobody drag you into a forum at gunpoint to answer questions which you dont wish to answer. so live and let live.

Good post :) I have never stopped answering questions relating to legal aspects of photography even though they have been asked many many times. :)
cause you are our famous clubsnap inhouse lawyer mah. :thumbsup:

next time if got outings should ask you come along, so you may give legal advise to photographers on the spot, what can shoot and what can not shoot. ;)

Just wondering, when somebody posts a question about lenses/cameras that have been asked many times before, what would you do?

This is a noob question, you are so noob. Why don't you just google the answer? Google is your friend.
Call up Canon instead of asking us, they know better. If you don't know what you want, then you don't need it. You can't just compare things like that, they aren't comparable. Grow up!

This is a noob question, you are so noob. Why don't you just google the answer? Google is your friend.
Call up Canon instead of asking us, they know better. If you don't know what you want, then you don't need it. You can't just compare things like that, they aren't comparable. Grow up!

Well said!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes, oh mighty Know-It-All. We are not worthy of your Holy Presence. Please forgive us for our collective stupidity. Why, oh, why do you grace our humble, sub-intelligent photography forum with your divine presence? We are really not worthy. Please, please, for the sake of all humble Earthlings, please start a forum for all Know-It-Alls.

While you're at it, do invite Kit and calebk to join you! ;)

sometime I also don't know the answers too, but I google it and tell them, doing it after awhile, come and think of it, why I can get the answer in less than 10 sec by google it, why can't they do it themself? answer: just want someone spoonfeed them.

Btw, got anybody call Canon to ask about Nikon stuffs or not?? LOL

Why, oh, why do you grace our humble, sub-intelligent photography forum with your divine presence?
WHY do you continue to ask stupid questions? Search google or ask it in the newbie corner! PLEASE.

sometime I also don't know the answers too, but I google it and tell them, doing it after awhile, come and think of it, why I can get the answer in less than 10 sec by google it, why can't they do it themself? answer: just want someone spoonfeed them.

Btw, got anybody call Canon to ask about Nikon stuffs or not?? LOL

I also google, that's why google is our friend. We can type the thing into google and google answers us, faster than any forum troll.

WHY do you continue to ask stupid questions? Search google or ask it in the newbie corner! PLEASE.

I've tried, O' High and Mighty One. But I could not find anything. Could you enlighten me?

P.S.: Are you a Merciless God? Cause, hell, I wouldn't want to be praying to a Merciless God. They'll only give me shite when I get to heaven/hell/the pub.

Yes, oh mighty Know-It-All. We are not worthy of your Holy Presence. Please forgive us for our collective stupidity. Why, oh, why do you grace our humble, sub-intelligent photography forum with your divine presence? We are really not worthy. Please, please, for the sake of all humble Earthlings, please start a forum for all Know-It-Alls.

While you're at it, do invite Kit and calebk to join you! ;)

I've tried, O' High and Mighty One. But I could not find anything. Could you enlighten me?

P.S.: Are you a Merciless God? Cause, hell, I wouldn't want to be praying to a Merciless God. They'll only give me shite when I get to heaven/hell/the pub.
are you trying to be funny?

this is not funny, by using God's name.

Stop it.

Please don't use His name like this, and I'm being serious this time :)

are you trying to be funny?

this is not funny, by using God's name.

Stop it.

Tsk... Tsk... Religion, touchy subject. So we should repect people's religion and not their questions on the forum? Haiz... My bad then.

Apologies about the reference to religion. ;)

whats wrong with people asking questions if youre not happy with it just ignore them why set up a thread to make a big fuss out of it its pointless dumb if you think youre so great write a book start a lesson let us newbies listen to you

whats wrong with people asking questions if youre not happy with it just ignore them why set up a thread to make a big fuss out of it its pointless dumb if you think youre so great write a book start a lesson let us newbies listen to you

I'm here to ask questions google couldn't answer :D
and to answer those google can :D

Should we then request everyone to google their question first before posting it here in CS?

I'd say the search engine is up to personal preferences, but a web search should be expected. Many questions cannot be answered in a few sentences without grossly simplifying. Who is going to write a correct and lengthy treatise on a discussion forum like this? How many ID-10-Ts will read overly simplified dummy versions of an explanation and realize that they can't be the absolute truth, when they are not able to research the most simple questions themselves (and be it by looking at the paper stack called "manual" that came with their cameras)?

There are multiple sources on the web, some with a much better reputation for correctness and accuracy than Clubsnap will ever have (e.g. Wikipedia), and better explanations. For answers that involve subjective elements, it is easy to find several opinions online and compare them, and weigh them by their credibility (which you also have to do with the posts on Clubsnap which sometimes contain the most absurd nonsense).

All this is a matter of basic information literacy and has nothing to do with being/not being new at photography. Helping illiterates is a noble cause, but at some point you have to ask yourself whether this should be a discussion platform on photography, or a support group/service center for illiterates. In the latter case, it would be more appropriate to discuss web and library search techniques rather than photo techniques.

I'm seriously wondering if all this is the result of an education system that trains people to regurgitate instead to think.

Don't get me started on people who want answers by "experts" or "pros" only on how to load film, change a battery, or why their pictures are so dark when they don't take off the lens cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.