Scoop on the NEW Leica Products!

7000 whopping f****** USD for the 50mm/2 Summicron APO.

Are you kidding me!?!!

What next? A 8K USD 35mm APO Summicron? Jeez, talk about unrealistic products.

Last edited:
I know, the prices are really something else aren't they? Can't say I'm particularly interested in either so much.

Now I'm happy with my decision to pick up the Summilux 50 last year. It is a "steal" compared to the new APO ASPH 50 at F/2 .

If Leica decides to add APO to the 'lux 50- think it will be a USD9-10k lens.

US$7195!!!!!

So the APO Lux 50, I'm sure it will come, will cost US$9K and the NOct will cost what? US$20K??!!!

The current Summilux is already an APO ASPH lens. In one of the interviews, Peter Karbe mentioned that he didn't think it was important to mention APO for a normal lens.

The new one will just have new text on the lens barrel but no change to optical formula and cost USD9k!!!

Does anyone know who they lift the sensor from since Kodak is not in the picture anymore ?

Kodak sold their Imaging Sensor Division to Platinum Equity. It is now known as Truesense Imaging.

N.S. Ng

here are the links to the new products on leica's website...

img22514.jpg
Leica Camera AG - Photography - M Monochrom
Leica M Monochrom - Newly developed 18MP monochrome CCD sensor, Extremely fine-grained image noise up to ISO 10,000, Various tones programmable

img22663.jpg
Leica Camera AG - Photography - Lenses
APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH - "The new Leica APO-Summicron-M 50 mm f/2 ASPH. lens is yet more clear proof of Leica's leading role in optical excellence. With this new lens, Leica engineers have successfully expanded the limits of the technically possible to set new standards in imaging performance. It is the first lens ever to fully exploit the capabilities of modern high-resolution camera systems without any compromises"

img21940.jpg
Leica Camera AG - Photography - M9 Edition Hermès
The Leica M9-P ‘Edition Hermès' - ‘Veau Swift' calfskin
Set 1 : Silver Anodised Leica Summilux-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH, 300 sets
Set 2 : Silver Anodised Leica Summicron-M 28 mm f/2 ASPH., a Leica Noctilux-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH. and a Leica APO-Summicron-M 90 mm f/2 ASPH, 100 sets

img22015.jpg
Leica Camera AG - Photography - X2
Leica X2 - Newly developed 16.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor, Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH lens, Connection for high resolution EVF

img22017.jpg
Leica Camera AG - Photography - V-LUX 40
Leica V-Lux 40 - New 1/2.33" CMOS image sensor, 20x zoom DC Vario-Elmar 4.3-86 mm f/3.3-6.4 ASPH. (24-480 mm equivalent), Full-HD, Integrated GPS

IMO the X2 is a joke, why would anyone consider that camera? I wouldn't mind the M9P Hermes edition with 3 lenses if anyone feels like donating :bsmilie:

Does anyone know who they lift the sensor from since Kodak is not in the picture anymore ?

Dalsa might be the source. They did supply a monochrome sensor to PhaseOne.

You'll be surprised that how some others will pay for and buy those lenses and bodies. ;p ;p ;p

And I wouldn't say that they are the only few. :bsmilie:

Yeah- selling one's body (and soul if necessary) to buy Leica M bodies.

I'm a little interested to see the outputs of the monochrome sensor. I wonder how much will it differ from the usual colour to B&W conversions.

The examples on the website hardly do anything to show off what they are saying about the sensor (unrivaled sharpness and dynamic range).

enivre said:
I'm a little interested to see the outputs of the monochrome sensor. I wonder how much will it differ from the usual colour to B&W conversions.

The examples on the website hardly do anything to show off what they are saying about the sensor (unrivaled sharpness and dynamic range).

If you subscribe to Sean Reid's website, he has quite a few samples. The resolution is amazing though.

By just removing the CFA, Leica created the M9M. The sensor, electronics, rf, low res lcd screen, etc remained the same. Will Leica offer a service to convert an existing M9/M9P to M9M? BTW, there is a company that will remove the CFA from the sensor to convert it to a b&w camera, B&W Conversion But dont't do this with the M8/M9 as this involves removing the microlens layer as well

N.S. Ng

I've said it before the event, I'll say it again - I love my M9. The MM while interesting in its own right doesn't really do it for me. I'm not bashing it, but I like my color. For the B&W I shoot, I'll convert the M9 images or load up the M7. A digital B&W camera doesn't quite have the same appeal as film.

As for the new cron... What can I say? Going by the MTF charts it sure looks fantastic. But over $7k? Not gonna happen. Besides, I prefer my Lux ASPH. It's a stop faster and already paid for. ;)

Though it kinda makes the Noctilux seem a bit cheaper now, doesn't it? :D