Scammer Chris Liew - Mirage Event Management

Err you only need a company if you are offering your service as a business. But the same services could be offer as job for hire. In such case you do not have copyright, but you are still required to be pay by the company who hire you. So it is a green light to band together and invite him to a govn hotel. No violence please, violence will make the wrong person look right.

Err you only need a company if you are offering your service as a business. But the same services could be offer as job for hire. In such case you do not have copyright, but you are still required to be pay by the company who hire you. So it is a green light to band together and invite him to a govn hotel. No violence please, violence will make the wrong person look right.

For those wondering...

These are the only businesses that do not need any buisness registration. See here. The entire Business Registration Act can be found here.

If you go under job for hire, there is no need to register a business, but you become an employee (part time temporary). Then you will come under Employment Act.

I recommend all doing work part time to at least know the law and what is required. If you are not a registered entity supplying services, and your contract is worded as a business (probably sole proprietor) supplying services, you will have not much legal recourse. If your contract is presented as part time work contract, you will need to sue him under violation of Employment act.

For those wondering...

These are the only businesses that do not need any buisness registration. See here. The entire Business Registration Act can be found here.

If you go under job for hire, there is no need to register a business, but you become an employee (part time temporary). Then you will come under Employment Act.

I recommend all doing work part time to at least know the law and what is required. If you are not a registered entity supplying services, and your contract is worded as a business (probably sole proprietor) supplying services, you will have not much legal recourse. If your contract is presented as part time work contract, you will need to sue him under violation of Employment act.

we still have sampan man? o.o quite surprised

(c) a sampan man plying his sampan for hire; or

daredevil123 said:
For those wondering...

Exactly what I was saying. But if they claim to be going under the guise of "jobs for hire" and Chris disputes that, it is going to be messy.

And that was why I asked if there was a contract also.

Exactly what I was saying. But if they claim to be going under the guise of "jobs for hire" and Chris disputes that, it is going to be messy.

And that was why I asked if there was a contract also.

Yup. In the end, the contract is the only thing that matters. And how it is worded will determine if it will go under business law or employment act.

Easy to avoid this..
1) Get 50% deposit
2) Draft a contract out. If need be engage a lawyer/your family/your personal lawyer to draft a contract that is foolproof
3) For jobs with high paycheck engage a lawyer to settle
5) When client signs the contract it is best to ask an eyewitness to tag along
4) DO NOT pass the photos to the client before he pays
5) When the client pays in the end ask an eyewitness to tag along and draft another contract for client to sign to state that the client has paid the full amount already

I know this may sound a little to the extreme, it really is the (almost) foolproof way of making sure the client doesn't backstab.

Easy to avoid this..
1) Get 50% deposit
2) Draft a contract out. If need be engage a lawyer/your family/your personal lawyer to draft a contract that is foolproof
3) For jobs with high paycheck engage a lawyer to settle
5) When client signs the contract it is best to ask an eyewitness to tag along
4) DO NOT pass the photos to the client before he pays
5) When the client pays in the end ask an eyewitness to tag along and draft another contract for client to sign to state that the client has paid the full amount already

I know this may sound a little to the extreme, it really is the (almost) foolproof way of making sure the client doesn't backstab.

This is way overboard to me. If there is a problem with this client just close the account.
By asking an eyewitness to tag along your cost is going to go up. Furthermore, for corporate clients you usually do not ask for a deposit. A retainer fee maybe, a cancellation fee, but a 50% deposit?

This is way overboard to me. If there is a problem with this client just close the account.
By asking an eyewitness to tag along your cost is going to go up. Furthermore, for corporate clients you usually do not ask for a deposit. A retainer fee maybe, a cancellation fee, but a 50% deposit?

The deposit amount is depends on how comfortable between the clients and photographer. Can be any amount.

+1, larger corporate clients mostly work off POs. And it is very hard and slow for them to do deposits of any kind unless it is coming from petty cash. Smaller companies usually flexible on this, but larger companies will just ignore you and go to the next service provider.

+1, larger corporate clients mostly work off POs. And it is very hard and slow for them to do deposits of any kind unless it is coming from petty cash. Smaller companies usually flexible on this, but larger companies will just ignore you and go to the next service provider.

And if you work with the government it goes through GeBiz. Worst still, if you ever cover for MINDEF, their payment can be slow. Golly.

I watched the Singapore news a few days back about a fellow who stole sweets in Singapore and was being video cam by the security camera.
The Video was posted on youtube and it went viral.

The man was identified very quickly including his own family and he subsequently went by own his own accord to make the payment.
I think that much as some of us more conservative people will think this is over board, but it serves to get the case closed and it does not board down the time of the police or legitimate authorities to deal with major issues.

And if you work with the government it goes through GeBiz. Worst still, if you ever cover for MINDEF, their payment can be slow. Golly.

Anything related to the Govt pays slow. Even formerly government owned companies.

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this thread is still active.
But I was a past victim who got scam off my engagement fee after doing a photography job for him back few years back.
Through contacts i have managed to track him down and gotten his current HP number.
Hope this would help.

Christopher Liew

Very interesting to learn about this guy.
TS please update what's the outcome now?
It about 3 years now.

If got black and white contract, can try bring your case to CASE. If you got a case, CASE may also help you in reporting your case to police.

If got black and white contract, can try bring your case to CASE. If you got a case, CASE may also help you in reporting your case to police.

CASE is only a watchdog. It is not a government agency and as such, have zero rights.

maybe someone kena con by those SLS black shops, than can look for CASE.

photographers will have better luck with small claim tribunal for filing a claim against such scammers.