SBG Macros with my new toy...

hehe ... nice shot!!
i think the most heavy thing is the 580EXII ... :think:

Thanks bro! The new purchase is much heavier than my Rebel XSi... Pretty tiring during handheld :sweat:.

Nice shots NovJoe with your new toy. Hmm, less than $1 diffuser...:think: looks good

Was the diffuser cut into shape to fit into the lens?....saw the curve part in JS eyes

so heavier and tiring means a sign to get a good tripod for the 7D? :)

Last edited:
Nice toy.... #4 is best for me...Impressed. Excellent

hehe ... nice shot!!
i think the most heavy thing is the 580EXII ... :think:

Thanks bro! Hmm... To me, the body is the main weight difference as I need a BG to balance out. With my rebel Xsi, I use the BG to balance out the weight and holding posture. The 580EXII does weigh quite a bit as well.

Nice shots NovJoe with your new toy. Hmm, less than $1 diffuser...:think: looks good

Was the diffuser cut into shape to fit into the lens?....saw the curve part in JS eyes

so heavier and tiring means a sign to get a good tripod for the 7D? :)

Thanks bro! You answered 1/2 correctly. There's 2 parts to my DIY diffuser, you guess the 2nd part correctly ;).

Nice toy.... #4 is best for me...Impressed. Excellent

Thanks alot KYFoong! Glad you like it.

So did u actually attached your 100mm Macro lens with the Raynox 250 DCR? I've tried once but the DOF is very shallow....

Care to share what is magnification if 100mm is with Raynox? 4:1?

So did u actually attached your 100mm Macro lens with the Raynox 250 DCR? I've tried once but the DOF is very shallow....

Care to share what is magnification if 100mm is with Raynox? 4:1?

Yes, the Raynox 250DCR is attached to my 100mm/2.8 macro lens. I think with the lens attached, it can achieved about 4:1 or 5:1 magnification. I'm not sure how magnification rate is actually calculated but it is definately much much magnified.

For the DOF being shallow, it is due to the high magnification rate. Usually, I would use smaller f-stops of f/18 to f/25 and use slower shutter speed with higher ISO to compensate.

Congrats on new toy!

Lighting is very directional though, casting shadows on opposite end.

Congrats on new toy!

Lighting is very directional though, casting shadows on opposite end.

Thanks tchuanye! Yep, this setup has directional lighting. I'm thinking of using 7D's wireless flash to trigger a 2nd flash for better lighting the next time. Any tips for me? Thanks in advance! ;)

Or bring the ext flash lower (lens level) and use the wireless flash to trigger.....I am assuming the on-board flash is the trigger?

Or bring the ext flash lower (lens level) and use the wireless flash to trigger.....I am assuming the on-board flash is the trigger?

Thanks for the tips. For the wireless flash, I can do both ways, which is to say that the on-board flash can be configured as a master flash to fill in or it can be configured to act as a trigger to order other flash units to execute. ;)

Congrat bro! You've the same system and setup as mine. Am loving my 7D. Hope you do. Nice shots you have.

Congrat bro! You've the same system and setup as mine. Am loving my 7D. Hope you do. Nice shots you have.

Thanks bro! I still try to get used to the weight and size difference of the 7D to my old rebel. Nonetheless, 7D does its job well and yes, I'm liking it.

Nice Shots NovJoe. I like #3, a bit under but i like the details. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes, the Raynox 250DCR is attached to my 100mm/2.8 macro lens. I think with the lens attached, it can achieved about 4:1 or 5:1 magnification. I'm not sure how magnification rate is actually calculated but it is definately much much magnified.

For the DOF being shallow, it is due to the high magnification rate. Usually, I would use smaller f-stops of f/18 to f/25 and use slower shutter speed with higher ISO to compensate.

Tks! Jst got myself a Raynox 250DCR today. Hope to try it out with my 100mm macro & 70-200mm tomorrow..
By the way, nice shots...:thumbsup:

#10 Closer...
DF2.jpg

How close were you when you take this.
awesome shots you have ... :thumbsup:

Tks! Jst got myself a Raynox 250DCR today. Hope to try it out with my 100mm macro & 70-200mm tomorrow..
By the way, nice shots...:thumbsup:

Thanks SamPaul! For Raynox 250 DCR, it takes quite a bit of patience and learning curves to get used to the lens. Hope to see your macro shots soon ;).

How close were you when you take this.
awesome shots you have ... :thumbsup:

Thanks copikau! If I'm not wrong, I should be about 8 to 10cm away from the dragonfly. :D