SB800 or SB600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
simple as to say..whatever the SB600 can do, SB800 oso can do..but not everything the SB800 can do, the SB600 can oso do..

True..:bsmilie:, of course SB-800 is always better, except for the screen, I prefer SB-600, though.

Sigh, but, since the image, lighting and quality the two flash can make the same, just that one has less power, and no commander mode...SB-600 is good enough.

True..:bsmilie:, of course SB-800 is always better, except for the screen, I prefer SB-600, though.

Sigh, but, since the image, lighting and quality the two flash can make the same, just that one has less power, and no commander mode...SB-600 is good enough.

if u can afford go for SB800..because can be easily poison by the SB800..

D70s are able to do so also rite? But how many slaves can D70s and D200 take??

D70s' built-in flash can be used as a commander and for 1 group of flash only.

D200's (and the latest D80's) built-in flash can be used as a master or commander and for up to 2 groups.

Master flash both commands the slave flashes and illuminates. Commander flash only commands the slave flashes but does no illumination.

D70s' built-in flash can be used as a commander and for 1 group of flash only.

D200's (and the latest D80's) built-in flash can be used as a master or commander and for up to 2 groups.

Master flash both commands the slave flashes and illuminates. Commander flash only commands the slave flashes but does no illumination.

Care to enlighten what is illumination?
And for 1 group means 1 slave?

Care to enlighten what is illumination?
And for 1 group means 1 slave?

:mad2: You can look up a dictionary... or go to http://www.dictionary.com/ if you don't have one... :mad2:

illumination [i-loo-muh-ney-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an act or instance of illuminating.
2. the fact or condition of being illuminated.
3. a decoration of lights, usually colored lights.
4. Sometimes, illuminations. an entertainment, display, or celebration using lights as a major feature or decoration.
5. intellectual or spiritual enlightenment.
6. Also called illuminance, intensity of illumination. Optics. the intensity of light falling at a given place on a lighted surface; the luminous flux incident per unit area, expressed in lumens per unit of area.
7. a supply of light: a source of illumination.
8. decoration of a manuscript or book with a painted design in color, gold, etc.
9. a design used in such decoration.

group [groop] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. any collection or assemblage of persons or things; cluster; aggregation: a group of protesters; a remarkable group of paintings.
2. a number of persons or things ranged or considered together as being related in some way.
3. Also called radical. Chemistry. two or more atoms specifically arranged, as the hydroxyl group, –OH. Compare free radical.
4. Linguistics.
a. (in the classification of related languages within a family) a category of a lower order than a subbranch and of a higher order than a subgroup: the Low German group of West Germanic languages.
b. any grouping of languages, whether it is made on the basis of geography, genetic relationship, or something else.
5. Geology. a division of stratified rocks comprising two or more formations.
6. Military.
a. Army. a flexible administrative and tactical unit consisting of two or more battalions and a headquarters.
b. Air Force. an administrative and operational unit subordinate to a wing, usually composed of two or more squadrons.
7. Music. a section of an orchestra comprising the instruments of the same class.
8. Art. a number of figures or objects shown in an arrangement together.
9. Mathematics. an algebraic system that is closed under an associative operation, as multiplication or addition, and in which there is an identity element that, on operating on another element, leaves the second element unchanged, and in which each element has corresponding to it a unique element that, on operating on the first, results in the identity element.
10. Grammar (chiefly British) a phrase: nominal group; verbal group.
–verb (used with object)
11. to place or associate together in a group, as with others.
12. to arrange in or form into a group or groups.
–verb (used without object)
13. to form a group.
14. to be part of a group.

A few slave flashes can be grouped as one.

:mad2: You can look up a dictionary... or go to http://www.dictionary.com/ if you don't have one... :mad2:

A few slave flashes can be grouped as one.

lol sorry...thought ur illuminate means some term used in photography :p
real sorry for that...don't bang ur head against wall :p

My last question will be...up to how many slaves can be grouped together?
Am I right to say that I can use my D70s as commander to control 3 x SB600 for CLS?

lol sorry...thought ur illuminate means some term used in photography :p
real sorry for that...don't bang ur head against wall :p

My last question will be...up to how many slaves can be grouped together?
Am I right to say that I can use my D70s as commander to control 3 x SB600 for CLS?

exact no. i'm not really sure..but ever tried with 4 SB600..

exact no. i'm not really sure..but ever tried with 4 SB600..

Wow...ok thanks...so now I can say that the disadvantage of commander mode in D70s is that the built in flash cant be fired when in CLS mode. The only way is to use SB800 as Master or maybe can put a SB600 beside u to cover the front flash...rite?

Wow...ok thanks...so now I can say that the disadvantage of commander mode in D70s is that the built in flash cant be fired when in CLS mode. The only way is to use SB800 as Master or maybe can put a SB600 beside u to cover the front flash...rite?

in commander mode, D70s built in flash will fire as pre-flash..but if using SB800 as commander, the SB800 will fire the pre-flash and oso act as a master flash..

Value for Money...Sb800

Waste of Money...Sb600

I agree I agree I agree :thumbsup:

Jz got my SB800 today :cool:

Same dillema as you before but since I think that I'll not going to buy another flash again in my whole life :nono: so why dun jz get the best and fully utilize all benefits from it? You may no need those extra features now but only God knows wat going to happen in future.

Budget is limited now but u can wait till for a while for ur wallet to fill up first. Anyway the shop I purchase it told me theflash price will go up and down, unlike camera which goes down all the time. Not sure how true is this but sounds like the demand is there, esp for SB800.

Anyway this' jz my opinion. Jz make a decision which you think you gonna not to regret some day later. :thumbsup:

For less problem flash, go for SB-800.

Regards,
Arto.

...Same dillema as you before but since I think that I'll not going to buy another flash again in my whole life ...
Err... sorry to dash your hopes... the filament of the flash bulb has a life span... although it might not be that short... I certainly think your life span should be considerably longer...;p

I am using a-few-year-old SB600. It seems to be in quite a good condition up till now... no battery terminal problem nor rubber cap dropping.

It's a good thing that my camera's built-in flash can be used as a master, therefore, I think I prefer to buy 2xSB600 over 1xSB800.

Of course, if I have spare $$$:cry: , I will definitely consider buying the SB800.

Err... sorry to dash your hopes... the filament of the flash bulb has a life span... although it might not be that short... I certainly think your life span should be considerably longer...;p

Oh... :sweat: :cry:

Anyway thanks for the information. And of course I hope MY life span is longer than my SB800.. I won't mind purchase a few more SB800 :bsmilie:

That I know...

Maybe I ask in the wrong way, I was thinking whether the two flashes give the same result under a controlled environment, like something that both the flash can do, which means not beyond SB-600's power range, etc.

If yes, then I see no point getting a SB-800 if money is not enuff, though.:sweat:

in a controlled enviroment they are both the same
i would say buy the SB600 first and when you have the urge to play with CLS just

1. get another SB600 if your camera body can be commander (D70, D70s, D80, D200) or
2. get another SB800 if you camera boday cannot be commander (D50 or pro body without built in flash)

I am not sure if the D100 can be commander, can someone confirm?

Same here... coz since my D200 can act as a master, it would make more sense for me to work with more SB-600's... (as slaves)

Same here... coz since my D200 can act as a master, it would make more sense for me to work with more SB-600's... (as slaves)

time to poison u..have u tried the auto mode on SB800..in my opinion it works better than TTL..wif SB800 u can play with multi/strobe flash caputure multiple motion on a single frame..

time to poison u..have u tried the auto mode on SB800..in my opinion it works better than TTL..wif SB800 u can play with multi/strobe flash caputure multiple motion on a single frame..

now for the cure to the poison

his D200 has a wonderful 2.5" LCD and can adjust the exposure as and when he likes

have you used that feature? (multi strobe) my old SB-24 also had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.