SB-600 vs SB-800

Status
Not open for further replies.
RBT816 said:
thank you guys for all your inputs. I have decided on the sb600 and use the money I will save on a future lens purchase.
Buy SB-800, spend extra on future len.

what make the sb600 user upgrade to sb800?

isit the sb800 will make the model more pretty than a sb600 can do?

** dont shoot me, i' m just curious and asking . ya :)

gernie said:
isit the sb800 will make the model more pretty than a sb600 can do?
haha, i think yes.... old guy can b younger looking;)

I am using a Sigma 28-200mm lens on my D70, seriously considering buying SB600 flash light, will it affect the function of the flash since I'm not using Nikon lens ?:D

have been thinking of getting the sb 600 too lately... haha... prolly i would just need a flash that can tahan continuous flashing thats all... hehe

TMC said:
SB80Dx, SB800 would be your better bets.

I disagree, the ability to handle continuous shots isn't restricted to the Sb800 Sb80x.
The SB600 should be just as durable (or as vunerable as) as the Sb800/80x. Any flash no matter how expensive will die if you don't allow the tube to cool after a series of continuous full pops.

BUT having said that, the SB600 lacks the High Voltage bypass socket that the SB800/80x strobes have. So you can't attach HV battery boosters like the SD8a nor Quantum Turbo to it, thus allowing you to achieve lower recycle rates and a high rate of continous full pops.i.e. you will have to wait 3-4 secs for the Sb600 to recycle.

Those Quantum battery packs like the B+ (that attach to the flash via the battery compartment) are not HV boosters and will not lower the recycle rate to 1 sec like the Turbo pack will. Even the SB8a only reduces the recycle rate to 2.5secs after a full pop.

So you can't achieve full continuous staccato pops with an SB600 even if you wanted to.

Tetrode said:
I disagree, the ability to handle continuous shots isn't restricted to the Sb800 Sb80x.
The SB600 should be just as durable (or as vunerable as) as the Sb800/80x. Any flash no matter how expensive will die if you don't allow the tube to cool after a series of continuous full pops.

BUT having said that, the SB600 lacks the High Voltage bypass socket that the SB800/80x strobes have. So you can't attach HV battery boosters like the SD8a nor Quantum Turbo to it, thus allowing you to achieve lower recycle rates and a high rate of continous full pops.i.e. you will have to wait 3-4 secs for the Sb600 to recycle.

Those Quantum battery packs like the B+ (that attach to the flash via the battery compartment) are not HV boosters and will not lower the recycle rate to 1 sec like the Turbo pack will. Even the SB8a only reduces the recycle rate to 2.5secs after a full pop.

So you can't achieve full continuous staccato pops with an SB600 even if you wanted to.
Err..... IMHO, that's not High Voltage bypass socket. That's only higher Voltage socket for SD8A or Quantum turbo.

In my understanding, High Voltage is 220v or more. While SD8A is only 9v if you put 6 x alkaline 1.5v. High Voltage sound scary to me :sweat: .

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Err..... IMHO, that's not High Voltage bypass socket. That's only higher Voltage socket for SD8A or Quantum turbo.

In my understanding, High Voltage is 220v or more. While SD8A is only 9v if you put 6 x alkaline 1.5v. High Voltage sound scary to me :sweat: .

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Arto.

Perhaps, in camera-speak it is...;p

No way I am going touch my flash with 220v running thru it:sweat: :sweat:

namska said:
have been thinking of getting the sb 600 too lately... haha... prolly i would just need a flash that can tahan continuous flashing thats all... hehe

Actually SB600 has faster recycle time than the SB800, which consumes more power......:think:

laforge said:
Perhaps, in camera-speak it is...;p

No way I am going touch my flash with 220v running thru it:sweat: :sweat:
Indeed, there is a high voltage inside the strobe. It's electronics produce high voltage needed to triger the strobe tube. It can be more than 3.000v, and it will be there even if you remove the battery for 1 week. Not only strobe, our SLR or dSLR with build-in flash also have it.

Don't worry, this strobe's high voltage is low current one, so it's only make you shock (and make you yell "@$*!%#") if somehow you 'kena' of it. Luckily we need no worry as long as we don't open it :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

Zenten said:
Actually SB600 has faster recycle time than the SB800, which consumes more power......:think:
Correct. SB800's GN (38 ISO100/m) is higher than SB600's GN (30 ISO100/m).

Fresh set of 4 Alkaline AA on SB600 give you aproximate 200 shoots, while on SB800 give you aproximate 130 shoots (according to manual).

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Arto.

Err...No. The socket bypasses the electronics in the flash (that change the 6V from the internal batteries to 300V) and puts the 300V directly into the flash capacitor in the flash(hence the faster recycle rate).

The SD8a and Turbo put out that higher voltage (both have the booster electronics built into their cases instead) - that is why they use that HV bypass socket instead of going through the battery compartment like the Quantam/Underdog battery packs do.

And that is why the Quantam/Underdog battery packs are so much cheaper, bec they lack the electronics in them to convert the 6V to 300V(They are just larger capacity 6V batteries). These battery packs still rely on the HV boost electronics within the flash for the conversion (hence they don't improve on the recycle rather as significantly as the Turbo[1 sec] does). The SD8a and Turbo are both high voltage and high capacity packs.

300V low current is still lethal to someone who has a heart condition as it can cause fibrillation of the heart. Always be careful with HV even if the current is low.

Zenten said:

That is incorrect, the faster recycle time is due to the fact that the SB600 has a lower GN and thus outputs less light. Less light requires less energy and thus the capacitor needs a shorter time to recycle. It doesn't mean that it consumes more energy.

Artosoft said:
Correct. SB800's GN (38 ISO100/m) is higher than SB600's GN (30 ISO100/m).

Fresh set of 4 Alkaline AA on SB600 give you aproximate 200 shoots, while on SB800 give you aproximate 130 shoots (according to manual).

Regards,
Arto.

Doesn't make sense leh - if the SB600 uses more energy than an SB800, then why would a set of Alkalines give you more shots on a SB600 than on a SB800?

Zenten said:
If I am not wrong, zenten try to say SB800 consumes more power than SB600.

I probably wrong :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
If I am not wrong, zenten try to say SB800 consumes more power than SB600.

I probably wrong :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.
I think what zenten is trying to say is that because SB800 produces a more powerful flash, it's recycling time for each flash is longer. I guess this is logical ...

However, if u use the Quick Recycling Battery Pack that comes with the SB800, u can add a 5th battery, and it's recycling time will be faster than the SB600.

Does SB600 come with the Quick Recycling Battery Pack? Anyway, for the same number of batteries used, SB600 confirm recycle faster lah ...

If u're bothered by the recycling time, can always buy the SD-8A :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.