SAFRA marathon participant dies at end of 21km run

Status
Not open for further replies.
at the end of his 21km? isn't there suppose to be even more medics to be stationed there when it's known that competitive runners will always push themselves to the limit and fall at the finishing line? 30secs seems a lil too long. and not to mention, on the bridge itself don't even have that much coverage. only saw like ONE medic on the way. though there was a medical point setup somewhere in between. things could have been better.

condolences to the family.

SAF always teach soldiers 'Mind over body'. :confused: Sometimes, cannot really means cannot.

Spend within your means.
Exercise within your body limit.

Mind over body
later end of race
White cloth over body.

:rolleyes: :nono: :rolleyes:

I read a book written by a sports guru, Philip Maffetone, back in 1995. He was associated with Mark Allen - a former Ironman Champion. In his book, he mentioned that we tend to train above our aerobic zone most of the time - something that is not right. Training above the aerobic zone, especially over the anaerobic threshold, stresses the heart a lot. Preferably, this kinda training should be restricted to 20% of one's overall training programme.

Most people think that too slow a run or too light an intensity does not provide any health benefits. In fact, a retired Tour de France cyclist, in his autobiography, mentioned that he mostly spent about 7 to 8 hours on his bike doing only slow and steady ride. He only did once or twice a week of speed work.

So the question is - are we stressing our heart too much in our training for an event like this? :dunno:

So the question is - are we stressing our heart too much in our training for an event like this? :dunno:

Last time i asked a doctor.

He told me..
as long you feel breathing is normal,
you don't feel dizzy...
you don't break out in cold sweat....

you are fit to continue the run.

He said...."just listen to your body hints"

:p :think: :p

I think the matter is conditioning, progressive trainings. With proper and adequate progressive and work up training to condition our body, think many would be able to take such stress. The long distance marathon runner who just came back from USA and completed the 'Death Valley' cross country marathon, they took nearly two years of work up and progressive trainings to condition their body for such marathon cross country challenge.

From what I know of CPT Ho's unit, OCS, they do have progressive trainings, and work up training to conditions the participants for such event. However, from experiences was that some of them didn't manage to go through the full progressive training or work up training to condition their body for such long distance running, it was mainly due to many factors like their own army training schedules and overseas trainings, and somehow, these participants still were allowed to participate for the full distance run instead of running for the shorter route.

many thanks.

i am wondering if the capabilities, combined experience of the saf medics and (young) doctors on duty are in question. i stand corrected on this.
I believe they have done their best. Despite young and definitely not as experienced as the trained ER staffs, the SAF medics have undergone rigorous training as well, and the MOs are definitely as qualified. Unless, of course, the quality of the medics had dropped so much over the years.

But nonetheless, the medical equipment are much more advance nowadays that, even if the medics are not as well trained, the equipment should be able to render advance life support at least until more certified life savers are around.

25 years old and a Cap officer. A great loss to the nation and his family.

Cherish life and your love ones always.. :think:

First aid in 30 secs is fast. If you want 5 secs, the medic has to be running right beside the Captain.

Let's wait for the AAR if it is made public.

at the end of his 21km? isn't there suppose to be even more medics to be stationed there when it's known that competitive runners will always push themselves to the limit and fall at the finishing line? 30secs seems a lil too long. and not to mention, on the bridge itself don't even have that much coverage. only saw like ONE medic on the way. though there was a medical point setup somewhere in between. things could have been better.

condolences to the family.

First aid in 30 secs is fast. If you want 5 secs, the medic has to be running right beside the Captain.
I agreed, 30 sec is considered very fast already, considering the crowd and the location where CPT Ho collapsed, think we should not be too picky about this nor blame the 'insufficient' medics on standby.

Honestly, I don't think this was the first fatality for such annual marathon event, I'm sure the organising committee would have already taken account and consideration of all possibilities, and would have done their best to activate for any emergency.

Also, I don't think it's practical to standby a medic or a medical team every hundred meter along the route, right?

Of course it will not be very practical. As long as onsite first aid can be rendered within the first minute, it is considered very good, in my opinion. If I were there, I don't think I will be able to approach any faster either.

given that amount of ppls running. how many medics are there? i'm not blaming anyone or anything. but accidents like these have already happened in the past. it's hard to predict but better preparation could be done. the roads are also sealed up in a way even if an ambulance have to move to hospital, it might take some time as well.

Scrap all these stupid runs, they do nothing for anybody. So what if one can run 21km, what purpose does it serve? I am almost sure that if there is really some purpose, there is always a better and safer way to do it.

When I was having some training during my reservist days, there was a CO who encouraged everybody in the school, including reservists, to join in for some long distance run to prepare for the half marathon. For some reason, this was construed to be complusory even for reservists. After the first run which my reservists friends attended and barely made it back to camp, we demanded to the course commander that reservists should not be made to perform such streneous excercises because we are simply not fit, and that we did not want to die like those reservists chaps we read in the newspapers. After some further clarification, we were told it was optional. :sticktong

Scrap all these stupid runs, they do nothing for anybody. So what if one can run 21km, what purpose does it serve? I am almost sure that if there is really some purpose, there is always a better and safer way to do it.

When I was having some training during my reservist days, there was a CO who encouraged everybody in the school, including reservists, to join in for some long distance run to prepare for the half marathon. For some reason, this was construed to be complusory even for reservists. After the first run which my reservists friends attended and barely made it back to camp, we demanded to the course commander that reservists should not be made to perform such streneous excercises because we are simply not fit, and that we did not want to die like those reservists chaps we read in the newspapers. After some further clarification, we were told it was optional. :sticktong

In US, some consider running to be a form of religious experience. after you hit the wall, you get a high. :thumbsup:

It always happens in the organization where the instructions from Commander or CO gets skewed when it reaches to the middle and lower management. That is why I would always prefer to ask and hear from the Commander or CO themselves.

Spend within your means.
Exercise within your body limit.

Mind over body
later end of race
White cloth over body.

:rolleyes: :nono: :rolleyes:

running technique! :rolleyes:
running technique! :rolleyes:
good running technique is what I tell my men.

advanced medical equipment are only as good as the doctor/s and/or medics who are using them.

perhaps, in this instance, their best is just not enough to avert a death.

I believe they have done their best. Despite young and definitely not as experienced as the trained ER staffs, the SAF medics have undergone rigorous training as well, and the MOs are definitely as qualified. Unless, of course, the quality of the medics had dropped so much over the years.

But nonetheless, the medical equipment are much more advance nowadays that, even if the medics are not as well trained, the equipment should be able to render advance life support at least until more certified life savers are around.

Last year I was waiting in line for the massage after doing the 42km StandChart. I saw a guy that was standing not far away suddenly collapse. Luckily there were many people around, medics were there in an instant. Turned out he had just fainted and it was not a heart problem.

Now, rather than thinking about "revving up" my heartrate when pulsetaking during runs, I would remind myself to cool down and not to push too hard, unless I'm at a place where there are people and medical facilities nearby.

I have a friend who has recently passed away with a heart ailment while resting. He was an avid swimmer and is fit. This shows that it does not matter if you over exert or not, if it happens, it happens. Might be largely because of our hectic lifestyle or genetics, we might never know. I'm thinking about going for a threadmill cardiac test soon.

if ur end is near cannot siam wan... :devil:

now got excuse not to push myself too hard wait :hung:!

Status
Not open for further replies.