[ Rumor and kopitiam ] Olympus E-5 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sifu also disappointed, looks like I will need to fire sale my 12-60 :bheart:

I wouldn't if I were you... If you still have the camera body, then keep the 12-60mm... it is still a good combination.

A little disappointed. Hopes the 4/3 lense can still be used with the rumored modular system, else Olympus can be condemned forever by playing out people who take the risks of buying the lense :)
What are your expectation of the new flagship?

It's not doomsday yet. Let's wait for the product announcement. After that, try it and see it yourself when the camera is made available in the stores. It's too early to comment isn't it? :)

I'm keeping my 12-60mm SWD, 50-200mm SWD and now gunning (where possible) for 14-35mm SWD and probably... 14-54mm MK II.

Last edited:
A
This is purely academic and for discussion sake, what would you like to see in the new flagship?
What about you (or the rest of you in this forum)?

WOW!! U guys sure know how to chiong threads!! HAHAHAHA!! :bsmilie:

Let me put it very comically, i've 2 special guests with me today, Robert De Niro & Sylvester Stallone

De Niro: U talking to me??

Stallone: What i want.... Is what all these people want.....

De Niro: Forget about it.

*Audience cheered wildly*

U see, whatever i want is not important, Oly is not going to manufacture it. There was already a post with E5 wish list & also this mega one, if Oly really wants any hint.

The big question is "How is Oly going to pull this one off to gain market share if the specs were as per touted by the church's mice?" Who's going to bite with yesterday's technology? How is Oly going to market it to convince old & new users? Where's that killer feature that many have wished/hoped for?

For all its worth, i really hope the church's mice is talking about a new E630 instead of E5. And HOPEFULLY the real E5 is something of a head turner. Tina Turner can launch it :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Personally for me, if i have to get a CMOS or NMOS or PMOS or whatever MOS cam, the strong candidate is the Canon cos they put in a lot of research to make it work. But i'm also looking hard at Sony, their colors is better :)

Here's one more from my Canon 40D, somehow this color reminds me of Fuji Provia film

MidAutumn53.jpg

Ok, now all u guys have been contaminated by the Canon virus, go get urself cleanse with holy water this weekend. HAHAHAHAHA!!! microcosm will install anti-canon-virus to del my pics Heeee.....

Pass it to me. I dun mind be the arang guni to grab ur "junk" HAHAHAHAHA!!!

eh... is that watercolored? :bsmilie: just kiddiing

What are your expectation of the new flagship?

It's not doomsday yet. Let's wait for the product announcement. After that, try it and see it yourself when the camera is made available in the stores. It's too early to comment isn't it? :)

I'm keeping my 12-60mm SWD, 50-200mm SWD and now gunning (where possible) for 14-35mm SWD and probably... 14-54mm MK II.

The expectation is for Olympus to continue to innovate and compete well with the competition. This is to force competition, which will benefit users.

At this rate, Olympus is not assuring that an E-6, E-7 and so on will appear and that the FT lenses will be usable for the 2-3 decades to come. If they do not have a top flagship to compete and brag about, people will not buy m4/3 in future. How can you sell m4/3 without the pros using it? It is as if you are asking people to buy Acer monitor for more serious use, when the pros are using Eizo/NEC monitors.

To quote a friend - "don't play play the E-PL1" :bsmilie:, especially when fed with high quality lenses. Of course, it's natural for folks to make the mistake since it is supposed to be the lowest model.

And looks like the E-5 may have the same PEN sensor, if this note below is true. If Oly removes the AAF totally on the E-5, I'll buy one :think:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-e-5-with-new-panasonic-12-megapixel-sensor-and-available-in-october/

Olympus should reveal the future beyond E-5.

Finally, really a PEN spec in E-3 body. No revolution, no evolution, no innovation, no thing at all ... totally disappointed.

If what 43Rumors has the correct information, I am quite disappointed with Olympus. They had so much more interesting technology that they are no longer interested in releasing. Sigh...

A little disappointed. Hopes the 4/3 lense can still be used with the rumored modular system, else Olympus can be condemned forever by playing out people who take the risks of buying the lense :)

I was just saying dont look to far when what will be E5 features, reading this article i was what!!!!??? :bheart:

Just one more day...

eh... is that watercolored? :bsmilie: just kiddiing

U have a serious L9 contamination!! This call for immediate holy water cleansing!! Quick go beg, borrow or steal some!! That was SKII in the works man, what water colour????!!! What were u smoking???? HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :bsmilie: Go buy a Canon 7D or the new 60D. This calls for poison to fight poison, virus to fight virus, an eye for an eye. HAHAHAHA!!!

I was just saying dont look to far when what will be E5 features, reading this article i was what!!!!??? :bheart:

The reality is... with such specs, this E5 shud be rebranded as "E3i" ("i"mproved with video & TruePic V+) & launched last year together with PL1. That wud have bought Oly some time (15mths+?) to bridge over to the real E5 next yr. I think many wudn't mind a E3i last yr while waiting for the E5 in 2011. :angel:

Analogous to buying a Win98 with 866MHz Pentium 3 while the rest r now offering i5/i7 running Win7 (or in the mac world a G3 400MHz running OS 9)

Edited: Also looking at what Panny has done to LX5, i really dun know whats stopping Oly from using the GH2 16MP sensor. Maybe the size of the sensor not fitting into the housing? Redesign cost for that too hi? Shudn't be any issue le, from what i see

Last edited:
Technically, IF Olympus can do what Apple did...

That is, make iPods, iPhone, iTouch... Then revive their Mac line and Macbooks.

I sure as hell don't care about what's happening to the main FT line of cameras. I just want to know if Olympus as a company will THRIVE and CONQUER the world the way Apple did. If Olympus can carve out a reputation for photography and make photography synonymous with Olympus, then the day when FT business is back isn't that far.

Anyway, ever since I saw them create the idea of m43 and market for those cameras, I always thought that Olympus was going the way of Apple.:think:

What's happening now, shouldn't really be surprising right?

Just one more day...

Hopefully, they'll give real information, not more teasers.

If this latest rumor is true, then they have serious problems beyond anything we could imagine and the camera division might as well become part of Panasonic.

However, we know nothing and I'm hopeful that they'll surprise us somehow.

Anyone else here hoping that Olympus are sabo-ing that rumour site?

5 more hours! But I'm not expecting much so I won't be too disappointed if the rumours are true.

Analogous to buying a Win98 with 866MHz Pentium 3 while the rest r now offering i5/i7 running Win7 (or in the mac world a G3 400MHz running OS 9)

I am visual person you saying

this

win_98_laptop_1.jpg

vs this??

MacBookAir.jpg

Edited: Also looking at what Panny has done to LX5, i really dun know whats stopping Oly from using the GH2 16MP sensor. Maybe the size of the sensor not fitting into the housing? Redesign cost for that too hi? Shudn't be any issue le, from what i see

Maybe Panasonic themselves aren't licensing/selling their sensor sensor yet, not until they put it out in the market on their own cameras which is the GH2.

Well, if that E-5 image, which incidentally looks exactly like an E-3, on 43rumors is accurate, then I think this would be Olympus' last iteration of the traditional DSLR.

Perhaps after this, Olympus would go totally mirrorless.

And upon going mirrorless, which vis-a-vis m4/3 would see the lens closer to the sensor, we could see the 4/3 sensor actually increasing in size.

AF would then be a hybrid phase-contrast system.

(What would be really nice would be 4" touch screen to play angry birds in between shots...)

Dream away people!

Well, if that E-5 image, which incidentally looks exactly like an E-3, on 43rumors is accurate, then I think this would be Olympus' last iteration of the traditional DSLR.

And upon going mirrorless, which vis-a-vis m4/3 would see the lens closer to the sensor, we could see the 4/3 sensor actually increasing in size.

(What would be really nice would be 4" touch screen to play angry birds in between shots...)

Dream away people!

as long as we'd be able to use our 4/3 lenses, bring 'em on

The expectation is for Olympus to continue to innovate and compete well with the competition...................... If they do not have a top flagship to compete and brag about, people will not buy m4/3 in future. How can you sell m4/3 without the pros using it? It is as if you are asking people to buy Acer monitor for more serious use, when the pros are using Eizo/NEC monitors.

they still are....busily making new art filters

Dream away people!

I don't really care about the direction of camera bodies, regular 4/3 or m43.

Think about it, regardless of the camera body size, what drew me to Olympus years ago was its Zuiko Digital lenses. And the fact that the Four Thirds standard was a true digital design from ground up.

As long as I am able to continue to use the current line of lenses in my photography, the camera body is really not an issue for me, PEN or otherwise. There is already a MMF adapter that Olympus has put out for that purpose. So far, the pictures that the PEN can produce with the ZD lenses are good, and that makes me happy. So if there is an update of technology which allows faster AF with ZD lenses, it is really something for me. Olympus did say that they are working on AF improvements and a probable hybrid system. The issue here is cost. Hybrid AF systems costs a lot more money and that will jack up the price of the camera bodies. Which will kills its consumer market.

m43 line will continue to grow for sure, and its lenses will be the Standard Grade ones to keep the cost low (for entry level users).

With MMF adapters, advanced shooters or 4/3 users can continue to use their existing ZD lenses on the cameras. Though I fret the day I have to take out the 50-200 with the PEN... ha ha ha... the balance is very off... but if Olympus can develop a really ergonomic PEN, then that is something else altogether... might not be the PEN line by then...

I still have faith in the company that has brought the world so much new technology in imaging, and this is a period of time where there are changes, and we will be somehow caught in this, and might cause a little grief. Whatever it is, I am happy with what I have now, and anything else is simple a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.