Ricoh to buy Pentax

still finding it hard to believe Ricoh bought Pentax Imaging Division for US$124.2 Million compared when Hoya acquired the Pentax company for US$863 Million.

Seems like a huge bargain to me. Ricoh right now in all probability have all they need to really up the ante on their GXR system.

"division" is only a small part of "company".
and DSLR division is the "Troubled Asset" in HOYA's eyes.

still finding it hard to believe Ricoh bought Pentax Imaging Division for US$124.2 Million compared when Hoya acquired the Pentax company for US$863 Million.

Seems like a huge bargain to me. Ricoh right now in all probability have all they need to really up the ante on their GXR system.

HOYA acquired the whole of Pentax include medical equipment (which now they still owns it)

Ricoh only acquired the camera branch of Pentax.

still finding it hard to believe that several weeks on, dozens of press releases, blog posts and thousands of forum posts across numerous forums later, people still persist in not reading the available information properly.

if i bought a K5, AF540, DA18-55WR and DA50-200WR for $2500, and then sold off the 18-55 for $200, would u call that a "huge bargain"?

Met up with a Taiwanese, he said that Pentax is known for their lenses since 20 years back!

How I wish that all screw driven DA limited come with WR much like the DFA 100 macro WR. That will put Pentax up on the pedestal and compliments the current TRUE weather sealed body where NONE competitor can touch.

I also hope for a better AF in K3 with 60fps 720p video capability and good compression. Maybe can consider the latest 26mp sensor used on Sony A77.

Frankly Pentax is so close to being the top brand, at least for prosumers! Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Pentax is definitely the top brand for prime lens lovers... of course, prime lenses are becoming a niche now, but the market is there.

But tough to say what happen if Nikon/Canon start to compete in the prime lens area.

Recent release is update of 50 F1.8 for Nikon, 40 F2.8 Macro Nikon, and the price is exceptionally low (Not talking about built quality here, and if price is low, non-camera savvy person will opt for cheaper stuff)

One major reason for me to come to Pentax is the FA Ltd and the attractive price point for K-x during launch comparing with D90 and D5000 at that point of time.

But if Nikon/Canon come up with attractive primes at attractive price, not alone me, those that doesnt know about pentax will not even bother coming to this camp.

Already feel pretty sad for stop pursuing the FA31 and FA77 with the price now.

You guys missed a very important advantage of Pentax K5; it is the world's most compact, solid and weather sealed APS-C DSLR compared to ALL in the market. Google on the 7D weathersealing and you will be surprised by how 'weather sealed' it is. Now google youtube for k5 water resistent test, any other doubts? The K5's long lasting battery, low light performance, great DR etc.... are really sweet too! For outdoor photographer weather sealing is of paramount importance and K5 is right up there with all the goodies. What these guys need is to have more screw drive (short throw) and a SDM II WR prime and zoom. Coupled with better AF algorithm and video and perhaps sensor upgrade we are good to go kill some giants!

For sports and fast action, I can safely say that after some playing around with AF-C I noticed that K5 can get the job done if;

1. set to FPS priority
2. set to f5.6 at least
3. pre-focus if possible

Applying the above techniques with a screw driven DAL35mm I was able to capture great action shots that have a second or less window of opportunity. Got to love the K5, it rox, REALLY!

Met up with a Taiwanese, he said that Pentax is known for their lenses since 20 years back!

How I wish that all screw driven DA limited come with WR much like the DFA 100 macro WR. That will put Pentax up on the pedestal and compliments the current TRUE weather sealed body where NONE competitor can touch.

I also hope for a better AF in K3 with 60fps 720p video capability and good compression. Maybe can consider the latest 26mp sensor used on Sony A77.

Frankly Pentax is so close to being the top brand, at least for prosumers! Lets keep our fingers crossed.

I don't have an interest that Pentax becomes the top brand.
I don't need to justify to anyone that the brand I am using is a brand worth of their ooh...aahhs.

I am just interested that it remains profitable and has a significant enough presence here, so that products continue to be made and after sales service is in good shape.

I don't need to justify to anyone that the brand I am using is a brand worth of their ooh...aahhs.

I am just interested that it remains profitable and has a significant enough presence here, so that products continue to be made and after sales service is in good shape.
same thoughts here.

edit: also agree with the post below ;)

Last edited:
WE are not interested that they become a top brand and be prosper or not, but we don't want them to die off either ;p

We are just beautiful and interesting species. :)