Review: Olympus XZ-1 - by Soon Ruey

Hi Soon Ruey

Wasn't intending to buy another compact but the f1.8 (/drool) keeps tempting me to read review after review.

Your review is actually making me want to take out my wallet...

must...stop...the...poison...

Hi Soon Ruey

Wasn't intending to buy another compact but the f1.8 (/drool) keeps tempting me to read review after review.

Your review is actually making me want to take out my wallet...

must...stop...the...poison...

May be a bit more poison can help you take out your wallet ;)

From 28mm-40mm it remains at f1.8
From 41mm- 64mm it remains at f2.0
From 65mm -100mm it remains at f2.2
From 101mm to 112mm it is at f2.5

This makes it the fastest zoom lens ever in a compact camera.

(how I test this is to set the camera in the A mode...Zoom the lens slowly until the f stop changes, take a picture, then I check the exif in the computer for focal length)

Guys what the street price for this camera?

ALL shot in jpeg, no further processing

5398159338_00596b366b_z.jpg

5398160330_f7ef2ffc2c_z.jpg

5397546615_e526478259_z.jpg

5398148724_0b72b470ee_z.jpg

5397549927_e778e11900_z.jpg

I simply like the dramatic tone art filter.
P2020412.jpg

P2020413.jpg

P2020414.jpg

Hi..guys & gals...

I believe many of you would have bought the XZ1 by now...please do add in your thoughts to this thread. I am also learning about the functions of the camera and I certainly would love to see how much more this little cam can do... Thanks.

You mentioned that you'd prefer the manual focusing to be based on the front lens ring instead of the rear control dial. That would be a more tedious operation - the front lens ring has greater travel distance and pronounced clicks, so manual focusing will take far too long to spin the ring and probably wear out very quickly with so many clicks. I don't find the rear dial very good for manual focusing, but it's probably a more sensible decision out of the two.

I just bought this camera at the recent COMEX fair and got it at $599 plus a leather casing, 2 SD cards, additional battery and card reader!
I'm still exploring the camera but thank you Soon Ruey for the beneficial review:cool:

33m0wee.jpg

At its widest end....

At the tele end.

I believe that a Tcon 17 will be available and as such, the maximum tele end can be up to 190mm (35mm equivalent)

The camera come with two rotating dials. One at the back and one around the lens. The one around the lens is very much like the dial in the S95.

This dial controls ISO in P mode, Aperture in A mode and Shutter speed in S mode. It also controls the Art Filters in Art mode and the scenes in Scene mode. In the M mode, the front ring controls aperture and the rear dial controls shutter speed. This is so much better than the EPL1 which has no dials at all!

In addition to the PSAM, Art, SCN modes, the XZ1 also has a candle (low light mode)

Hi Soon Ruey,

So is it mean you having Oly M'sia warranty? Is it recognised in SG?

Also, did you encountered any grainy problem under tungsten dim light?
in a wedding dinner, the photos seems grainy on the LCD (ISO640 or ISO500, shutter at least 1/20 no zoom iirc). Natural mode. Haven't download to PC.
But in bright light very nice photo.

Thank you very much very like:)

Olympus warranty should be international warranty except for sets bought in US which carries US warranty. Please correct me if wrong.