Review: Olympus XZ-1 - by Soon Ruey

As requested...112mm equivalent @ f2.5

thanks! looks pretty decent for a compact non-superzoom camera :)

Got mine yesterday, still trying out all the feature & getting use to the control. Will be trying some night shots tonight:)

Just bought this camera this afternoon. Having own Canon G12 & Panasonics LX5, in terms of Image Quality, XZ-1 beats both G12 & LX5! It produce picture almost similar to EPL-1 with Pany20mmF1.7 lens!

More random pictures

Super Macro

P Mode

Cuisine Scene Mode

Dramatic Tone

Dramatic Tone

Soft Focus Filter

Portrait Mode

Utilizing the built in flash

Focus Numerique tested the Olympus XZ-1 and the results are astonishing! The lens is super sharp even wide open (at f/1.8)!!! Distortion is minimal. The only moderate issue is Vignetting. Image quality is good from ISO 100 to 400. Dynamic range is a little bit less than the Panasonic LX5.

Full report here :http://translate.google.com/translat...metrie-11.html

Just found a major issue with the camera!! Think a firmware fix will be necessary. Hope Oly is listening.

If camera is set to Aperture mode and aperture has been fixed. ISO is set to Auto.

You will note that the shutter speed goes down to 1/2s before the ISO will go beyond ISO 200!!!

Most of us would prefer a faster shutter and for the ISO to start climbing early!! It is better to get a sharp photo but noisy then to get a blur photo with less noise!!!

Only other option at this moment if shooting in A mode will be to preset the ISO in darker environment!!!

Last edited:
Just found a major issue with the camera!! Think a firmware fix will be necessary. Hope Oly is listening.

If camera is set to Aperture mode and aperture has been fixed. ISO is set to Auto.

You will note that the shutter speed goes down to 1/2s before the ISO will go beyond ISO 200!!!

Most of us would prefer a faster shutter and for the ISO to start climbing early!! It is better to get a sharp photo but noisy then to get a blur photo with less noise!!!

Only other option at this moment if shooting in A mode will be to preset the ISO in darker environment!!!

This is not true. I verified on the camera. It does allow u to change ISO even after u have selected the aperture. Perhaps there is some other setting in camera that u may have changed that may have conflicted with this.

For eg. once u set the camera to High Speed shutter mode, flash is always set on off. U cannot turn on your flash unless u go back to sequential shooting.

Utilizing the built in flash

Hey, I think u did a great job reviewing this camera. But....I think in this shot above, the flash is probably irrelevant. Haha.

This is not true. I verified on the camera. It does allow u to change ISO even after u have selected the aperture. Perhaps there is some other setting in camera that u may have changed that may have conflicted with this.

For eg. once u set the camera to High Speed shutter mode, flash is always set on off. U cannot turn on your flash unless u go back to sequential shooting.

What I meant was that if ISO is set to Auto ( as you know Auto ISO is ISO100-ISO800), the ISO remains at ISO 200 ( you will need to check the EXIF of the picture taken) until the shutter speed goes below 1/2s.

I know that it is still possible to change the ISO manually even after the Aperture has been set (by pressing OK and going to ISO function)

What I meant was that if ISO is set to Auto ( as you know Auto ISO is ISO100-ISO800), the ISO remains at ISO 200 ( you will need to check the EXIF of the picture taken) until the shutter speed goes below 1/2s.

I know that it is still possible to change the ISO manually even after the Aperture has been set (by pressing OK and going to ISO function)

Ahhh i c....sorry I misunderstood.

OK, yes indeed. I think that Olympus is a bit too aggressive here. At 1/5 to 1/8, a good photographer can still take sharp photos, but to go all the way down to 1/2, I also cannot hold still. Perhaps they should raise the tolerance to about 1/10?

Hey, I think u did a great job reviewing this camera. But....I think in this shot above, the flash is probably irrelevant. Haha.

Actually what happened was that when I was using the camera with the flash off in Auto mode, the camera chose a slower aperture speed and the dancer was all blur.

Yet when I switched on the flash the camera opted for a faster shutter speed and I managed to freeze the dancer??? EXIF shows that ISO went up to ISO320 and aperture was at f2.2 at 1/100s.

When I switched off the flash, I got a bright picture but a much slower speed and the dancer was all blur. ISO was at ISO200.

Ahhh i c....sorry I misunderstood.

OK, yes indeed. I think that Olympus is a bit too aggressive here. At 1/5 to 1/8, a good photographer can still take sharp photos, but to go all the way down to 1/2, I also cannot hold still. Perhaps they should raise the tolerance to about 1/10?

Yes, I am hoping a firware fix will correct this function. Maybe tolerance about 1/30s (as most P&S shooters are amatures) and I believe ISO 400 or even ISO 800 is acceptable without significant noise.

Actually what happened was that when I was using the camera with the flash off in Auto mode, the camera chose a slower aperture speed and the dancer was all blur.

Yet when I switched on the flash the camera opted for a faster shutter speed and I managed to freeze the dancer??? EXIF shows that ISO went up to ISO320 and aperture was at f2.2 at 1/100s.

When I switched off the flash, I got a bright picture but a much slower speed and the dancer was all blur. ISO was at ISO200.

Yup I know what u mean. When the flash pops up, the camera chooses a faster shutter speed. With the flash down, a slower shutter speed is chosen in order to light the scene "correctly". So wat happens is that the faster shutter speed supposedly "wrongly" chosen by the camera turned out to be OK for the scene here. Its the same thing with night shots of city scapes. U shoot with flash on, is better than shooting with flash off, although there is no way that camera flash is going to contribute any light to the scene. Its just that the exposure chosen turned out to be right for the night but the camera does not know it is night.

However, I noticed that with the E5, it seems to know when it is night and when it is day. In P mode, it will expose appropriately so that u dun have excessively long shutter speed being used in a low light or night mode.

Very good and comprehensive review and nothing to add!!