Reusing lenses(from analogue camera) on a digital camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by denizenx
yeah sticking to the point.
ckiang, I not taking any offence, in fact.
but it's not a brand thing, I'm not rooting for Canon, if that's what you think. In fact I like minolta more, for its flash system.
But isn't FD and EF different mounts altogether, physically, electrically?
yeah I said Silent Wave is the USM parallel... hehe shorter to type than Silent Wave, which sounds like a PS2 game...
flame wars is when u start making comments instead of disputing the "facts" and opinions... (ccv)

anyway u can flame me all you like LOL...

I just want to be more "correct" than anything. Coz it can be misleading if you start to use each brand's own terminology to describe another's, though they might be similar.

FD has no electroncis as far as I know, only the EF. :) Silent Wave can always be shortened to AF-S, which is what it is.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
You can't use FD lenses on EOS bodies, for example.

Actually Canon released at the time of the EF mount conversion a special adaptor for FD glass that allowed FD lenses to be used with the EF mount. There were only a few hundred made (I think it was either 500 or 750, can't remember now) and they were only made available to professional wildlife and sports photographers and press agencies.

There are still some aftermarket FD to EF adapters available, but they run around 250-300 USD each and aren't a patch on the rare early Canon units.

Originally posted by Ian

Actually Canon released at the time of the EF mount conversion a special adaptor for FD glass that allowed FD lenses to be used with the EF mount. There were only a few hundred made (I think it was either 500 or 750, can't remember now) and they were only made available to professional wildlife and sports photographers and press agencies.

There are still some aftermarket FD to EF adapters available, but they run around 250-300 USD each and aren't a patch on the rare early Canon units.

Thanks for that bit of info, I was referring to direct-mounting, without adaptors. ;) Still, it's interesting to know Canon actually had them....

But at $250-300 USD for the aftermarket ones you've mentioned, it's probably more worth it to buy a new EF mount lens. Unless you have some irreplaceable or very expensive FD glass, which I have no doubt some professionals will have.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.