Recommendations for web server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, after much research, i think dca's ixweb looks pretty nice. now deciding whether to use business or unlimited plan. dca, is their free domains a gimick? from what i see, business plus can host 8 domains with 3 given for free.

and a question: what's the relation between frontpage hosting a php hosting? i thought frontpage had php? thanks!:)

Hi. I am planning to get a webserver(non-singapore based) for a website. As I am totally new to this, I dun know which services are the most popular ones. So far, i have seen yahoo which looks pretty attractive. right now, i cant really say what features i need for the website as i can only compare through tables and charts, but email accounts is a must(at least 10-20 accounts). so...any recommendations? and just wondering, which services are the most popular ones? and what does Clubsnap use anyway? thanks!:)

satay16, i highly recommend Intermedia. have 2 domain with them for almost 2 years. hands down, they are extremely reliable. support tickets are answered on average between 15 to 30 minutes. longest has been 1.5 hours i experienced.

hey, after much research, i think dca's ixweb looks pretty nice. now deciding whether to use business or unlimited plan. dca, is their free domains a gimick? from what i see, business plus can host 8 domains with 3 given for free.

and a question: what's the relation between frontpage hosting a php hosting? i thought frontpage had php? thanks!:)

correction, i dun own ixweb... :devil:

free domain is not a gimmic, its real, anyway u should get unlimited... seriously, u can use it as your storage device when u are overseas too...

frontpage, iirc is MS, php is another thing altogether... anyway i also not sure about them... i just know how to tweak with free stuff...

correction, i dun own ixweb... :devil:

free domain is not a gimmic, its real, anyway u should get unlimited... seriously, u can use it as your storage device when u are overseas too...

frontpage, iirc is MS, php is another thing altogether... anyway i also not sure about them... i just know how to tweak with free stuff...

PHP is an open source technology. its mainly use for server-side transactions. powerful stuff if you can make it work.

ok. i am confused.:confused:
do i need sql, cgi, php, coldfusion, asp, .net, blah blah blah................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok.....regarding php again, is it something which MS frontpage can use? or are they exclusive objects?

hi guys. is it a rule of thumb that web hosting with 5GB(or smaller space) are better than those with larger space? right now, it is www.ixwebhosting.com vs www.lunarpages.com

basically you wont need that much of a space and bandwidth for a personal website.
Unless you're running the next 'friendster' or 'flickr'
companies stating 10gb space and 20gb bandwidth (for example) are overselling. If there are too good to be true deals out there, always read through the TOS.

you should take on any company's 30 day trial if available... and use the period to QC the service.

basically you wont need that much of a space and bandwidth for a personal website.
Unless you're running the next 'friendster' or 'flickr'
companies stating 10gb space and 20gb bandwidth (for example) are overselling. If there are too good to be true deals out there, always read through the TOS.
What biggmalique said is quite true. For personal sites, you probably won't need that much space/bandwidth. Especially in the beginning, when you got little visitors.

Disk space wise, you probably wont need much unless you host many big files such as full-res photos. I personally run 4 websites and I havent even hit 500MB usage in disk space. Text and web-sized pictures won't take much space.

Whereas bandwidth, it's good to have more if you expect sudden surge of visitors. Exceeding the limit means your site wont be accessible until you inform the host to upgrade. For the months when my site hit frontpage of Digg, I had to upgrade my bandwidth to handle the insane load!

Go for reliable hosts, not cheap hosts. Losing your website is no joke. :D

Are you only considering lunarpages & ixwebhosting?

I'd love to introduce to you a webhosting plan on a local hosting but I don't wish to be accused of spamming. If you are interested, just PM me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.