Really Really Free Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
:what::what:

where got free.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not talking about tv/radio licence or the price of your 50" tv lah. Did mediacorp ask you to pay for the channels? Free-to-Air.

Not talking about tv/radio licence or the price of your 50" tv lah. Did mediacorp ask you to pay for the channels? Free-to-Air.
where do you think your RTV licence fee end up if not mediacorp?

too bad then vince. i just really look down on people who celebrate mediocrity and are happy to wallow in the status quo. and worst still, put someone else down because his option to dream big was suppressed, so he finds the need to take it out on someone else who comes along with their own ideas to try to make change.

what the other people said in quoting your first reply was not wrong. makes me wonder about the other times when you MAY have done the same by shutting down people asking them keep their bitter, self-serving opinions to themselves.

my reply was not offensive either. it really depends on how you read it. i could have said something to a greater effect of 'shut it and piss off' but i merely said keep it to yourself. youre assuming abit too much arent you?

Last edited:
Hmm, well I'll love for you to find a post which I made which asked someone to shut up or to keep their opinions to themselves. I wonder who's assuming here. Read #14 again, I express no opinion on what Kiasi said. You are free to criticise his point of view if you wish but asking him to shut up is another thing altogether.

Its as "too bad" for me as it is for you. I don't see what the problem is.

too bad then vince. i just really look down on people who celebrate mediocrity and are happy to wallow in the status quo. and worst still, put someone else down because his option to dream big was suppressed, so he finds the need to take it out on someone else who comes along with their own ideas to try to make change.

what the other people said in quoting your first reply was not wrong. makes me wonder about the other times when you MAY have done the same by shutting down people asking them keep their bitter, self-serving opinions to themselves.

my reply was not offensive either. it really depends on how you read it. i could have said something to a greater effect of 'shut it and piss off' but i merely said keep it to yourself. youre assuming abit too much arent you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, well I'll love for you to find a post which I made which asked someone to shut up or to keep their opinions to themselves. I wonder who's assuming here. Read #14 again, I express no opinion on what Kiasi said. You are free to criticise his point of view if you wish but asking him to shut up is another thing altogether.

Its as "too bad" for me as it is for you. I don't see what the problem is.

I am quite tired of having to say this

Enough of OT

To all and also Vince

The TS is asking for support not for "Cold Water To Pour Onto it"

Support, if you can support. If not forever hold your silence here, else I will have to make sure you do! :nono:

no one asked you for your opinion, keep it to yourself.

I agreed. If you have nothing positive to say, just keep it to yourself. :thumbsd:

Ayo guys .. the thread starter asking for help
Why so much noise ..

want to help ..
HELP Lah

do want tooo ....

BUAT BODOH SUDAH LAH .... :sticktong

Inspired by a recent thread about self taught professional photographers, my boss once told me:

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREE."

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
This is absolutely misleading ....:think:
If one is prepared to give away free things, then there are such things as FREE.

Look around, there ARE.

Some examples:
Some temples are providing free "complete buffet with drinks and deserts " regularly to EVERYONE regardless of your race, wealth, religious belief, age, health ...

There are some companies who contributes regularly their products to the poor ... though some ppl will say there is charitable motive here, but these things are still free.

I am sure there are many other examples but ppl just are too blind to see ....

In honest argument we cannot completely disagree with the sentiments of the antagonist, but what he should keep in mind is the fact that what constitutes the general phenomenon in our society does not envelope minority groups, like the threadstarter, who refuse to conform to the likes of that numbing, breakneck pace we call the meritocratic society of Singapore.

The freecycle movement is going strong. I'm inside the group as a member and everyone certainly has a lot of thigns to give away.

The usual catch however is self-collection; so I guess this current event is a notch up from that.

Hey tante

Sounds interesting. Is it building a community of people who would be willing to share skills with each other or with anyone?

Just to add, there is an organisation called freecycle. It's mission is to reduce the amount of waste we throw away. http://www.freecycle.org/

Click here for information about the Singapore Freecycle Group

And also this is the group's site .

Loads of members!

The freecycle movement is going strong. I'm inside the group as a member and everyone certainly has a lot of thigns to give away.

The usual catch however is self-collection; so I guess this current event is a notch up from that.

Think self collection is fair. Wouldn't expect anyone to deliver something I might not want once I see it.

i maybe an idealistic teenager

enuff said :rolleyes::rolleyes:

if it's a giveaway for charity, it might work. giveaway for the sake of it? :think:

if nobody i know wants my stuff, and it's not fit for salvation army, i'd junk or recycle it :bsmilie:

the first one is gonna be a flop, i'm very sure, but who knows if it might eventually catch on? no harm trying. i too wish the TS all the best with this event

I think this is a great idea.

Precisely because civil society in Singapore is at the infant stage that we need to do this RRFM thing. I do have some things to give away, and they are not junk - some books. Please send me a PM, if my things are needed.

In support of the original poster's altruistic intentions and ideals.

I would like to say that I have, and will give good things to others for free.
If I don't need/want them, why not let someone else enjoy them ?

Having said that, I usually arrange for self-collect at my convenience.
Right now, I have a wooden IKEA table to possibly to give away.

I really really really support this event and I might know people who will as well! this is gonna be an interesting event. :thumbsup:

to TS, why not create a facebook event as well, instead of just a group, so people will be reminded of it! :think:

Yup, it's fair which is why in SgFreecycle, that's how we do it. This RRFM is a step above because people actually bring their free stuffs together ina place where other people can then view and collect.

In my view, although there is more resources involved (since you need to expend your own petrol to bring it there), there is also a much higher chance your discarded things will find a home (as opposed to SgFreeCycle which may take a while before people respond).

I suggest the organiser consider my proposal to encourage givers. For those people who participate as givers, give them a certain amount of exclusive time in which they can browse other booths and then take items they need. Say, maybe the first two hours of the event, it is only open to givers. The givers thus have the first bite at the cherry at other giver's stuffs, and vice versa. After the first two hours, the whole event is then open to all to take stuffs.

Of course this needs to be fleshed out a bit more; after all, we don't want pple abusing this system by bringing a tissue packet to give away and then help themselves to goodies later. If the TS needs further assistance with organisation or advice, do drop me a pm.

Cheers! :)

Think self collection is fair. Wouldn't expect anyone to deliver something I might not want once I see it.

Sorry to burst your utopian bubble of a rosy and air-conditioned place where it's all merry and bright.

I know the place that this event is taking place, inside out like the back of my hand.

That place is a run down 1920 shophouse right in the middle of the largest balangadeshi community in singapore, where no xmm or chiobu that you are merrily thinking you will meet will ever think of stepping in.

There is no air-con and you will be placing all your stuff on the floor. Do you want to see how this place looks like? I will show you a actual photograph of the place where you will be spending 6 hours with no air con:

2720523684_919430c147.jpg

Yes, the photo above is the actual place you will be in.

And one more thing, don't be ridiculous...what booths are you referring to? You probably are painting a rosy dream location in your own mind.

You will sit on the bare concrete floor and lay all your things there, bare, on the concrete floor and wait for people to come and take your stuff, IF you are lucky.

Just like a karang guni man.

By the way, I forgot to tell you...if by the end of 8pm, your junk is still not taken by anyone, you will be asked to take all the rubbish you brought with you, home.

Yes, even the organiser are not interested in it too. If you insist to leave your junk there, they will throw it into the rubbish bin.

Feel free to call organiser to verify what I have just said.

To those who have a rosy picture of how it is going to turn out, sorry for awakening you to the harsh reality. Welcome to singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.