Ready for it! - Nikon AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/1.4E ED !

$nikon 105E small-12.jpg$nikon 105E small-11.jpg

Focusing is not as snappy as chubby.
Quite sharp.

Stocks will be in today. Price is lower than your guess. $27xx still. Check with your favourite camera shops :)
Wah stocks in already ? Must go test the lens liao ...

Pretty good, but do you consider buy?

Yes, if it can take a fully body shot and have a bokeh like this:
http://imgsv.nikon-image.com/products/lens/nikkor/af-s_nikkor_105mm_f14e_ed/img/sample/pic_02_l.jpg

I have the 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8 but they can't do this at the widest open aperture ...

I used my 85mm F1.8, it can have bokeh at the background only if you wall close to the subject at say shoulder. Once I walk away and have the whole body in the frame, they is no more bokeh even at F1.8 with the distance from subject to background very far away.

I mean once the whole body is n frame, everything is in focus even at F1.8. I am using Nikon D750. Looks like this lens solve the problem from the above sample photos ?

The only thing for consideration is I will go and test to carry it to see if I am comfortable with the total weight when paired up with my Nikon D750 ... also will test if my hand is steady as this lens doesn't have VR ...

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, if it can take a fully body shot and have a bokeh like this: http://imgsv.nikon-image.com/products/lens/nikkor/af-s_nikkor_105mm_f14e_ed/img/sample/pic_02_l.jpg I have the 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8 but they can't do this at the widest open aperture ... I used my 85mm F1.8, it can have bokeh at the background only if you wall close to the subject at say shoulder. Once I walk away and have the whole body in the frame, they is no more bokeh even at F1.8 with the distance from subject to background very far away. I mean once the whole body is n frame, everything is in focus even at F1.8. I am using Nikon D750. Looks like this lens solve the problem from the above sample photos ? The only thing for consideration is I will go and test to carry it to see if I am comfortable with the total weight when paired up with my Nikon D750 ... also will test if my hand is steady as this lens doesn't have VR ... Thanks

From your 85mm f1.8 the minimum for 0.8m vs 105 f1.4 at 1m away, that's considering is quite ok for that.
Anyway seem good for outdoor portrait.

Shutter speed control at 1/60 should do free of blur/out of focus an issue.

This lens good, but if added some speed light should do perfectly, otherwise a bit darker when shots at f1.4 stop.

Frankly I find the bokeh in the picture not that pleasant and highly distracting. Have you tried the Nikon 85 f1.4 instead of the f1.8. The bokeh is gorgeous in my opinion!

Yes, if it can take a fully body shot and have a bokeh like this:
http://imgsv.nikon-image.com/products/lens/nikkor/af-s_nikkor_105mm_f14e_ed/img/sample/pic_02_l.jpg

I have the 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8 but they can't do this at the widest open aperture ...

I used my 85mm F1.8, it can have bokeh at the background only if you wall close to the subject at say shoulder. Once I walk away and have the whole body in the frame, they is no more bokeh even at F1.8 with the distance from subject to background very far away.

I mean once the whole body is n frame, everything is in focus even at F1.8. I am using Nikon D750. Looks like this lens solve the problem from the above sample photos ?

The only thing for consideration is I will go and test to carry it to see if I am comfortable with the total weight when paired up with my Nikon D750 ... also will test if my hand is steady as this lens doesn't have VR ...

Thanks

Frankly I find the bokeh in the picture not that pleasant and highly distracting. Have you tried the Nikon 85 f1.4 instead of the f1.8. The bokeh is gorgeous in my opinion!
No, I haven't try the 85mm F1.4.

Another alternative is to maybe try the 70-200 F2.8 ?

No, I haven't try the 85mm F1.4.

Another alternative is to maybe try the 70-200 F2.8 ?

For those on a budget, the Nikon 85/1.4 AF-D version has great bokeh and sharpness too, for half the price of the AFS version. Or consider the 105/2DC which has excellent bokeh control too

The problem with shooting with a 70-200/2.8 will be that you need more distance, and the perspective is way too different. A 85-105mm gives decent working distance still.

For those on a budget, the Nikon 85/1.4 AF-D version has great bokeh and sharpness too, for half the price of the AFS version. Or consider the 105/2DC which has excellent bokeh control too The problem with shooting with a 70-200/2.8 will be that you need more distance, and the perspective is way too different. A 85-105mm gives decent working distance still.

105 & 135DC the color a bit cast into it..
Not really good for recent FX body.

I was recommended for 85mm f1.4D or 1.4G much better image quality

Everyone just shoot with what they prefer, the lens won't make you a better photographer, other than a diff "look".

I'll be getting this lens after my usual policy : 4 months cooling period for lenses (6 for bodies) to work out bugs / AND see in the field usage reviews... NOT CATS, 100kb WEB IMAGES and photos done in Labs! :)

This is a good freed about the OLD classic 105.... http://nikkor.com/story/0059/

The fast, mid-telephoto lens constructed with the fewest lens elements - AI Nikkor 105mm f/1.8S

" Nikon has recently released the new AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED, a 105mm lens that inherits the concept and ideas behind the traditional AI Nikkor 105mm f/1.8S while supporting the latest technical advances. This lens was developed with the same design concept as the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G in mind. That is, “improved three-dimensional rendering characteristics”. While images captured with the AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED are just a little sharper than those captured with the 58mm f/1.4G, overall image characteristics are the same. "

Last edited:
That being the case, I note that you acquire a wide range of ranges and is always talking about, comparing lens? No one here is arguing about which is the best lens, all were trying to give suggestions to see if any of the lens can help the person achieve the kind of "look" he desired in the sample posted.....

Everyone just shoot with what they prefer, the lens won't make you a better photographer, other than a diff "look"...

Review from an overseas site.... using GOOGLE TRANSLATE ONLY : https://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=AFS105_14

Plus
+ The market's brightest 105mm telephoto with autofocus
+ Very impressive performance already at full aperture
+ Extremely good sharpness from corner to corner stopped down a few steps just
+ Negligible distortion (weak pincushion )
+ Very välkorrigerad chromatic aberration
+ Low vignetting apart from f / 1.4
+ Really soft and nice bokeh (ideal for portraits , etc.)
+ Good backlight properties
+ Quiet autofocus
+ Robust built
+ Weather -sealed construction
+ Lens Hood Included

Minus
- Relatively slow autofocus (because of large and heavy lenses)
- No image stabilization ( not particularly necessary due to f / 1.4 )
- Cost a hefty penny (but may be considered "cheap" in comparison with the Zeiss Otus 85 / 1.4 which lacks AF)

Conclusion
This telephoto lens for those who yearn for the image quality and feel of the pictures that you basically just get with the Zeiss Otus and Milvus 85mm f / 1.4 , but which also can not imagine being without autofocus (which Zeiss loopholes are lacking ) . Nikon AF-S 105 / 1,4E ED is clearly designed to be used primarily on large -aperture around f / 1.4 - f / 2.8 , and you also have high demands for it to be really sharp from full opening and the lens must have auto-focus function. Yes If so, there are actually no more options to choose from bright f / 1.4 telephoto lens ( of course applies in writing) . Many pictures taken at f / 1.4 gives me the feeling that they are photographed with a large format camera , and just that makes me a little bit lyrical. But the Nikon AF-S 105 / 1,4E ED is an optician that I only get to dream about the good , fit well not on my cameras and any system change is not speaking om..åtminstone not yet.

Last edited:
Review from an overseas site.... using GOOGLE TRANSLATE ONLY : https://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=AFS105_14 Plus + The market's brightest 105mm telephoto with autofocus + Very impressive performance already at full aperture + Extremely good sharpness from corner to corner stopped down a few steps just + Negligible distortion (weak pincushion ) + Very välkorrigerad chromatic aberration + Low vignetting apart from f / 1.4 + Really soft and nice bokeh (ideal for portraits , etc.) + Good backlight properties + Quiet autofocus + Robust built + Weather -sealed construction + Lens Hood Included Minus - Relatively slow autofocus (because of large and heavy lenses) - No image stabilization ( not particularly necessary due to f / 1.4 ) - Cost a hefty penny (but may be considered "cheap" in comparison with the Zeiss Otus 85 / 1.4 which lacks AF) Conclusion This telephoto lens for those who yearn for the image quality and feel of the pictures that you basically just get with the Zeiss Otus and Milvus 85mm f / 1.4 , but which also can not imagine being without autofocus (which Zeiss loopholes are lacking ) . Nikon AF-S 105 / 1,4E ED is clearly designed to be used primarily on large -aperture around f / 1.4 - f / 2.8 , and you also have high demands for it to be really sharp from full opening and the lens must have auto-focus function. Yes If so, there are actually no more options to choose from bright f / 1.4 telephoto lens ( of course applies in writing) . Many pictures taken at f / 1.4 gives me the feeling that they are photographed with a large format camera , and just that makes me a little bit lyrical. But the Nikon AF-S 105 / 1,4E ED is an optician that I only get to dream about the good , fit well not on my cameras and any system change is not speaking om..åtminstone not yet.

Nice reviews.
Have no idea, if use with crop mode on FF body :D
How dose the IQ like.