R U guys excited about the new Sony DSLR release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to see how does this camera perform but seriously not excited about it ... i will get excited if only all the other household electronic brands like Aiwa , Philips , Toshiba , Sharp ...etc come out with their own DSLR and their funky white , pink , yellow , purple , green lenses with maybe innovative household function like coffee making machine or washing machine ya know ? Maybe sony should come out with a UMD game enable DSLR then i think will also attract kiddo buyer also coz can play psp game and take snapshot at the same time , you know kiddo nowsaday more ego then the adults ... always must have the latest gadgets and if its a sony then it command more respect and pride !

Thats what i think will make everyone more excited and fun thus more competition because they can wipe out a big potion of their consumer group !

:bsmilie:

Deadpoet said:
Absolutely Not. Don't care if it gets released or not. At the very least, not this whimp of a camera Sony is introducing!

How much would I pay? $0.

I am absolutely disappointed with Sony. I was hoping Sony will give the DSLR market a shot to invigorate itself. At the moment, its too dominated by 2 companies. There is really no competitions. Sony is a mass market expert, I should not have expected anything else.

Just curious, what else have you expected from Sony's entry level DSLR (US899)?

I assume the above post is not a flame bait. Obviously there were something you expected out of Sony's entry level DSLR but was not found in the released specs and thus dissappointed.

To me, Sony has upped the specs for the US$899 DSLR by quite a margin.

wind30 said:
Just curious, what else have you expected from Sony's entry level DSLR (US899)?

I assume the above post is not a flame bait. Obviously there were something you expected out of Sony's entry level DSLR but was not found in the released specs and thus dissappointed.

To me, Sony has upped the specs for the US$899 DSLR by quite a margin.
Definately not a flame bait. I was hoping Sony will invigorate the DSLR market, particularly, providing some challenge to Canon in the full frame space.

Competition is a good thing. Prices might come down, but more importantly, it fosters innovation. Canon is having a stranglehold on the full frame space, and to some extend, a controlling position in the DSLR space. I use Canon, but I want someone to challenge Canon. Nikon is not doing it, Sony is perhaps the last chance.

Looking back at Sony's history, I doubt this will happen. Sony is a mass market maverick. It will give the 350D and d50/d70 of the world the run for their money, it may even make some waves in the 30D and D200 space, but in the full frame and professional rank, I doubt it.

I am very disappointed.

Deadpoet said:
Definately not a flame bait. I was hoping Sony will invigorate the DSLR market, particularly, providing some challenge to Canon in the full frame space.

Competition is a good thing. Prices might come down, but more importantly, it fosters innovation. Canon is having a stranglehold on the full frame space, and to some extend, a controlling position in the DSLR space. I use Canon, but I want someone to challenge Canon. Nikon is not doing it, Sony is perhaps the last chance.

Looking back at Sony's history, I doubt this will happen. Sony is a mass market maverick. It will give the 350D and d50/d70 of the world the run for their money, it may even make some waves in the 30D and D200 space, but in the full frame and professional rank, I doubt it.

I am very disappointed.

Ok, from what you wrote, you are just dissappointed that Sony did not release a Pro DSLR. You should not then write as if the A100 is worthless and totally dissappointing. It is a $899 DSLR and if your expections that it will rival the canon 5D (which is totally unreasonable), of course you will be disappointed.

If you actually THINK about it, it really make sense for Sony to release the entry-level DSLR FIRST. Common, Sony will have a higher-grade DSLR. That I am sure cuz they have $5000 lens in their lineup. So I still don't understand why you are so dissappointed. It is entirely logical for Sony to release the entry-level DSLR first, iron out the bugs and so the pro DSLR will be better.

Both Canon and Nikon had great success with the 350D and D70 and thus their firm position at No1 and No2.

I am not doubting that Sony's success in the entry level of the DSLR market. I am doubting Sony's entry into the high end of the market.

I doubt Sony will release a real pro DSLR anytime soon, if at all.

I also believe Sony's window of opportunities for the high end DSLR market is shrinking. KM users will wait only so long.

Where is the competition for Canon coming from?

I was excited before the release and now disappointed because I was hoping to get a Sony DSLR camera body with built-in Anti-Shake with a couple of non-IS lenses which perform as good as the Canon non-IS zoom L-lenses and priced similarly to those Canon L lenses.

Specifically, I had these similar Canon lenses in mind for Sony lenses :
1) For my indoor event shots : EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : (Yen204,000) RS$3,100 - CP $2,400 / MS $2,380 / TCW $1,950 (Grey)
and
2) For my action and wildlife shots : EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM : (Yen260,000) RS$3,280 - CP $2,600 / MS $2,630 / AP $2,550 but without the IS since Sony has it built into the camera body already. Without IS, I was hoping that a similar Sony lens would be priced accordingly lower than this Canon lens.

With the new Sony lenses priced even higher than the Canon IS L lenses, I'm now looking at a Canon system instead.

I am not too familiar with KM mount but I THINK sigma produces a 70-200mm f2.8 for KM mount.

review of the lens is here. suppposedly comparable and its price is cheaper than Canon non-IS and if you looking at the IS version, then it is REALLY cheaper.

http://photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_70200_28/index.htm

But I never used the lens b4 so :dunno:

Anyway, just to point out that there are actually third party lens. One of the major disadvantages of third party lens is that very few of them has stabilization, but with AS, you don't need stabilization.

For wildlife you can have sigma 50-500mm... cheaper than the canon 100-400mm IS I think. Dunno about the performance but just to point out an alternative.

wind30 said:
I am not too familiar with KM mount but I THINK sigma produces a 70-200mm f2.8 for KM mount.

review of the lens is here. suppposedly comparable and its price is cheaper than Canon non-IS and if you looking at the IS version, then it is REALLY cheaper.

http://photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_70200_28/index.htm

But I never used the lens b4 so :dunno:

Anyway, just to point out that there are actually third party lens. One of the major disadvantages of third party lens is that very few of them has stabilization, but with AS, you don't need stabilization.

For wildlife you can have sigma 50-500mm... cheaper than the canon 100-400mm IS I think. Dunno about the performance but just to point out an alternative.

Thanks for the info and link.

I actually checked out recently and narrowed down to these 2 above Sigma lenses for my needs if I want to get third party lenses on a Sony/Minolta body. Both of them are "EX" which signifies the better of the Sigma lenses. They are probably my best alternative if I were to get a Sony/Minolta camera DSLR with Anti-shake built-in. However I note that they have no HSM for Minolta mount and, from some researches, are probably not as good and resaleable as Canon L lenses with Canon mount since these Sigma lenses are third party lenses and of Minolta mount.

Ideally, I would like to have something like a Canon DSLR body with IS (stabiliser) built-in + Canon original non-IS L lenses with USM at prevailing prices for Canon non-IS USM L lenses.

However, I think it is not in Canon's business interest, in the near future at least, to offer a DSLR body with IS since it would cannibalise its own IS lenses. So there is a void in the product offerings in the market. My hope was on Sony to shake the market up and bridge this gap by offering Sony lenses at quality similar to Canon non-IS L-lenses and at similar prices together with the expected Anti-shake DSLR camera body.

Looking at the recommended retail prices of those new Sony lenses and after adjusting for some reasonable discounts, it seems that a Sony camera body with Sony lenses would be as, if not more, expensive than a similar Canon system for my needs. On top of that, since Canon have a much wider user base and therefore Canon items are much more resaleable, a Canon system would be more appealing than a Sony system to me.

As for Sigma lenses with Minolta mount, although they are cheaper than Canon non-IS L lenses, the uncertainty of whether they are fully compatible with the new Sony body and their higher difficulty of resale coupled with their slightly lower quality than Canon L lenses makes them less appealing to me at the moment. I prefer to wait for at least 6 months to a year to see the experiences of others in using these Sigma EX lenses on the new Sony body first instead of being the guinea pig now.

Status
Not open for further replies.