R U guys excited about the new Sony DSLR release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watcher said:
Like the "quoting of the best features but don't mentioned the rest" style :thumbsup:

Look at the FPS, buffer size, the magnification of the view finder, etc. More like for amateurs, given the price of the body, so if you compare it, then compare to D70s (due for upgrade) or 350D.

how to compare with the D70s....? no fight. the canon 350D also hard to compare as it uses a different sensor which is better at high ISO.

D200 on the other hand probably uses a similar sensor. mmm... so what impt advantage does the D200 have over the alpha?

Advantage of the alpha
1) SIGNFICANTLY cheaper
2) built in VR
3) anti dust

Advantage of D200
1) 5fps vs 3fps
2) a whopping 22 frames vs a "measely" 6 frames
3) weather sealed body vs plastic body
4) top info LCD vs no top LCD
5) 10% higher magnification in viewfinder

anymore I missed out.

As I said, different camera is for different people. Maybe there are guys who will pay 1k extra and GIVE up VR and anti dust for the 5fps and 22 frame RAW buffer, esp those spray and pray people :bsmilie:

Watcher said:
And where is MD players now? How many here uses it verses iPod / other music player? :rolleyes:

I have the ipod video 60gb now. The MD was like EONS ago.... why are you comparing it with a current product.

I thought the MD player was ahead of its time when it was first released. Super small form factor and near CD quality sound.

wind30 said:
how to compare with the D70s....? no fight. the canon 350D also hard to compare as it uses a different sensor which is better at high ISO.
Wah then can compare S3 PRO with D200 liao? They also using different sensor :what:

espn said:
Thought it was Palm refuse to sell the OS to Sony?
Why Sony want to buy palmOS when PocketPC is on the rise :dunno: ?

Sorry for OTing wind30 :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

in reply to the thread starter question, "R U guys excited about the new Sony DSLR release?"

my answer: No.

Artosoft said:
Why Sony want to buy palmOS when PocketPC is on the rise :dunno: ?

Sorry for OTing wind30 :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.
I still prefer Sony Clies... My T665G still going strong... don't know what to upgrade to next if I need a PDA. :(

my answer is NO

Reason is that they will be forcing you to use only their propriety products which will in the end cost more. I learnt the lesson with the memory stick experience, limited and expensive.

For the records, I'm happy with my current setup.

Yes.

Eagerly waiting for their 7D replacement. 7D was(still is) an excellent camera which was comparable to 20D and better than D70. hard to imagine what results sony will produce after improving this already-so-good camera. all those advantages stated of the D200 in the previous post could just be seen on the 7D replacement with improved specs.

btw, to repond to the post above, i dun see how propriety sony can be on camera systems. canon lenses can only fit canon bodies. nikon batteries can only fit nikon bodies. olympus flashes can only fit olympus bodies. so.....i guess all systems are propriety. and to think about it, sony accepts sony alpha mounts, minolta's A mount, plus carl zeiss too. i wonder which other system can support so many mounts.(not inclusive of sigmas, tamron and tokina)

satay16 said:
Yes.

Eagerly waiting for their 7D replacement. 7D was(still is) an excellent camera which was comparable to 20D and better than D70. hard to imagine what results sony will produce after improving this already-so-good camera. all those advantages stated of the D200 in the previous post could just be seen on the 7D replacement with improved specs.

Let's hope so.

satay16 said:
btw, to repond to the post above, i dun see how propriety sony can be on camera systems. canon lenses can only fit canon bodies. nikon batteries can only fit nikon bodies. olympus flashes can only fit olympus bodies. so.....i guess all systems are propriety. and to think about it, sony accepts sony alpha mounts, minolta's A mount, plus carl zeiss too. i wonder which other system can support so many mounts.(not inclusive of sigmas, tamron and tokina)

i think he meant the memory stick. thats how i feel as well. well, i think that might be a big reason why the response might be affected. CF has already penetrated the market well. SD too.

zcwnfx said:
i think he meant the memory stick. thats how i feel as well. well, i think that might be a big reason why the response might be affected. CF has already penetrated the market well. SD too.
the sony dslr has a cf slot. it doesn't even have a memory stick slot, you need an adapter to use memory stick duo on it.

pai said:
the sony dslr has a cf slot. it doesn't even have a memory stick slot, you need an adapter to use memory stick duo on it.
Seem like Sony has a really bad reputation of everything being proprietary that nobody trust Sony will use CF card in their DSLR :bsmilie:

Even with Official Specification like these

Recording Media: Memory Stick® Duo/Memory Stick PRO™ Duo media (via MSAC-MCF1N adaptor); CompactFlash™ Type I/ CompactFlash Type II / Microdrive™ media

Some still don't trust Sony will support Minolta "A" mount lens, even it had been officially announced it would support "A" mount more than 5 months ago, hence the naming Alpha. :sweat:

But Sony did learn this time. ;)

i'll bet sooner or later they will want to change everything to their own standards. I wun be surprised if they started their own version of 'jpeg'.

Reason for doing so? simple: "It's a sony"

Sony first DSLR camera is Alpha. Maybe next series is Beta. In computer program, alpha and beta is not ready yet (still in testing stage) :bsmilie: . Are you willing to be a guinea pig? You need to pay some more :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

yanyewkay said:
i'll bet sooner or later they will want to change everything to their own standards. I wun be surprised if they started their own version of 'jpeg'.

They did, with the new sony batteries :bsmilie:
The rest from mount, flash socket and cable release plug still seem to stick to Minolta style. Indeed I do hope they will keep it this way, unless a change is really necessary instead of being proprietary.
But come to think of it, which camera brands don't have proprietary mount, flash, batteries etc :dunno:

i'm not excited too. bad experience too with memory stick and basically i'm not a risk taker. How established is Sony in producing DSLR??? Perhaps when they are as established as Canon/Nikon...

zcf said:
Seem like Sony has a really bad reputation of everything being proprietary that nobody trust Sony will use CF card in their DSLR

Even with Official Specification like these

Some still don't trust Sony will support Minolta "A" mount lens, even it had been officially announced it would support "A" mount more than 5 months ago, hence the naming Alpha.

But Sony did learn this time.

:bsmilie: Yea, agree. I believe sony had listened to the voices of its users.

I'm excited to see the birth of a new dslr from sony.
It evolved from minolta 5d, so it is not surprise to see a few similar features.

:thumbsup: What excite me is
1) 10 mp ccd - "nothing special" CCD?? I think otherwise. Anti dust and anti shake is something special.
2) Bionz Chip. Just as excited as canon users about DigicII , III , IV .....
3) 3fps until card is full - this is an improvement to me already. no complains.
4) Availability of lens.
5) its price its price!

:thumbsd: What might not excite me is

1) price of new lenses
2) pessimistic comments. Becos I don't think there are really much bad stuffs to mention about. I rather hear only the good stuffs. It is still a newborn. Give it a chance to grow before saying bad stuffs about its future.

yanyewkay said:

on a brighter side.. If Sony's version of 'jpeg' was more superior than original JPEG, then I dun see why ppl will reject the idea. It might even become a new standard for all? who knows.:dunno:

melser said:
i'm not excited too. bad experience too with memory stick and basically i'm not a risk taker. How established is Sony in producing DSLR??? Perhaps when they are as established as Canon/Nikon...
That's why Sony bought over Konica Minolta (they should be considered as well established camera company ;) ) for their DSLR technology and R & D and merge with their own. Hope new technology will put into the next higher end release, which I am saving money for.

Status
Not open for further replies.