Question on ABS braking system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ABS, like its name suggest, assists the driver to retain some form of control of the vehicle and prevent wheel lockup. Overall, the person behind the wheel will still need to control the steering wheel to avoid lose of control.

Dun forget, ABS also depends on other factors and is onli as good as the tyre u use, the pressure, brake pads, brake fluid, you use ;)

Most modern cars especially continental ones, combine ABS together with EBD or otherwise known as electronic brake force distribution. Whether ABS engages also depends on the sensors. It will be activated at the moment the sensor senses that the tyres have no traction, ie. skiing. This can take place at high speeds sudden braking or even normal braking but on wet or oily grounds.

Tan131 is right, if you have to drive, NEVER stinge on two things. Tyres and Brake Pads. Nevermind all the brouhaha this and that system, no good tyres, no stopping. :D

Hi all,

A1. I think it's depends on the make of the car. But for me, my abs locks at about 4-6 times /second estimated.

A2. Personally i think wif the abs, the car takes a longer distance to stop. The only adv is tat it claims to keep the car from skidding. Driven cars wif both abs and non-abs. My personal preference is w/o. Had times when i needed to stop bad. Jammed on the brakes, the car goes into abs and doesn't stop. Release momentarily, jam again, still on abs....alamak. Esp just before turns when the abs bites, (abit too last min braking)the car really got no braking power i feel. The car can't slow down in time before the turn, resulting in having to brake into the turn sometimes. To me, having abs doesn't mean your car won't skid. It just means ur car wheels are less likely to lock. A car with abs does skid. But of cos tyres and other road factors come into play too. I think the previous two bros are right. Good tyres & suspension make a very big difference.

Just my 2 cents ;)

esmondng, to be very honest I think you have to relook your driving habits. I had cars with ABS in the last 8 years, and I probably activated ABS less than 10 times. Most of the time I don't have a chance to trigger off the ABS (have to brake really hard to reach skidding condition when ABS triggers). If you have a chance to release brakes and reengage, and STILL ABS comes on, either there is something wrong with your car or you are driving way too fast (going into a turn some more).

BTW I put on about 30,000km a year so that's fair amount of driving. 10 times in 8 years that's like an annual affair. So do examine why you are doing so much hard braking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.