query about LTC's career

Status
Not open for further replies.
so assuming there are not being offered as a OM, how?
45 years old.out and running.
at that age, how many companies will hire?

even retirement at 55.what's he going to do for the rest of his life?

feed off me?:bsmilie:

Actually there is nothing wrong for him to feed off you. In love or in marriage, it doesn't mean that it should be the guy that has to be the one that brings home the bread for the family. IF the wife is more capable at work while the husband is more capable in handling family affairs, I dun see anything wrong with the husband taking care of the household.

To put it in a crude manner, haven girls been feeding/leeching off their bfs and husbands for eons?

I mean when u decide to be with the guy and for marriage etc, building a family is more important than arguing who should be the bread winner right? Taking care of family doesnt = to shake leg at home. Everyone has a role to play in the family, and it doesnt mean that if he doesnt bring home $$$$ = he is doing nothing.

Actually, Jeanie I have one very very important question for you. IF lets say when ur future husband retires, and he wants to use the million dollars + savings to setup his own business, then at the end of the day he fails and lost his whole investment, what would you do and how would you respond? [This might be a hypothetical question, but personally I have known ppl who ended up in this state]
And because its very hard for him to find a job, and there is no suitable DXO job for him, would you take up the responsibility to support him through these tough times?

Last edited:
Wow... didn't know a) there's quite a number of people 'working in the military' here in CS, and b) that there are people commanding $15k+/mth in their 30s here in CS. :confused:

What a varied bunch we are. I would be happy to even hit $5k/mth in my 30s. :bsmilie:

To jeanie: it is definitely your right, but is purely looking at the amount of $$$ a guy fetches a wise choice in determining a life-long partner...? :think:

Wow... didn't know a) there's quite a number of people 'working in the military' here in CS, and b) that there are people commanding $15k+/mth in their 30s here in CS. :confused:

What a varied bunch we are. I would be happy to even hit $5k/mth in my 30s. :bsmilie:

To jeanie: it is definitely your right, but is purely looking at the amount of $$$ a guy fetches a wise choice in determining a life-long partner...? :think:

eh, i can show u my staff pass to prove it ;) But just tat I am not anywhere near in the 10Ks bracket....

thanks guys for all the answers.

i'll be really honest.

someone whom i'm seeing is a SLTC.now 36.
we havent really been together long enough, that's why i'm really curious as to how much he's commanding.($, i mean).

i know, next person will come flaming my arse saying why look at $ blah blah blah blah blah, but seriously, it's one of the considerations for me.and please give me this rights.

imho, 7k-8k is a little low for a guy at mid 30s but i know it's tough comparing different sectors, different jobs.

in my sector, any guy at my level will easily be commanding 15k.

:cry:

36 is new SLTC on the job or for a few years? Is he a scholar? Local or overseas?
If not, i say he's pretty good, could be on track to colonel if he's in the army, but given that a guy ur level is commanding 15K already, i'll say that unless he make 1 star, what he earns in future will not match yours or come close within a tolerable margin.

In short, sign on guys who are non SAFOS scholar are out for u, or maybe a non safos pilot might make the grade for u.

Besides, it's ur right i know, but hmmm, i think it's pretty sad case. I understand a need for women to choose a guy based on income level for security, but given that u are earning tons and a SLTC has a rather decent pay already, is it so important anymore?
And it could really be i guess since some men are egoistical and some women are subserviant...

Ha..the problem with money. Earn too little struggle, earn too much have to care about pyschology...

kcuf2,

thanks very much for the insight.
it really open up windows when i'm in a dark room.

this guy is quite thrifty.
when i mention restaurants, he mentions hawker.
so can i at least assume he has about 300k savings?
:dunno::)

yes, i know about managing expectations.that's why i asked.

i'm really surprise about the jump in salary from ltc to col.
its' a pretty big jump if you ask me.

and no, he's not a scholar.so chances are you've answered my question.

i dont mean to belittle SAF regulars or people from another industry.
but options like taking a paycut, or going jobless at 45 is very very scary.
that's not even factoring in IF You have kids/aged parents to feed.(assuming wife can take care of herself lah!else just add in before fullstop).

7k a mth for guy mid 30s is very very high. Unless he's a very qualified person, very good work attitude at very very high paying sector.

high?seriously, it's not.

people in my sector in late 20s already commanding around that.

if you've got time,
just make a drive up one raffles quay carpark.

Btw, oversea scholar and local scholar is a hell difference.......non-scholar are consider farmer......

Actually there is nothing wrong for him to feed off you. In love or in marriage, it doesn't mean that it should be the guy that has to be the one that brings home the bread for the family. IF the wife is more capable at work while the husband is more capable in handling family affairs, I dun see anything wrong with the husband taking care of the household.

To put it in a crude manner, haven girls been feeding/leeching off their bfs and husbands for eons?

I mean when u decide to be with the guy and for marriage etc, building a family is more important than arguing who should be the bread winner right? Taking care of family doesnt = to shake leg at home. Everyone has a role to play in the family, and it doesnt mean that if he doesnt bring home $$$$ = he is doing nothing.

Actually, Jeanie I have one very very important question for you. IF lets say when ur future husband retires, and he wants to use the million dollars + savings to setup his own business, then at the end of the day he fails and lost his whole investment, what would you do and how would you respond? [This might be a hypothetical question, but personally I have known ppl who ended up in this state]
And because its very hard for him to find a job, and there is no suitable DXO job for him, would you take up the responsibility to support him through these tough times?

if he is my husband,
the answer is yes.
but i'll tell him in the next life, please do not sign on SAF please.

ok.just kiddin.

that's the point.
i didnt say it's PURELY lookin at how much dough he brings home.

but i have to admit, i'm a high maintenance woman.
i have 3 supercars+ 2 lao pok car to feed on top of 2 properties.
i dont see how anyone earning less than 20-30k a month being able to afford me IF i'm not working.
again, i didnt say this to show off.it's REALITY.

this is S I N G A P O R E.

Btw, oversea scholar and local scholar is a hell difference.......non-scholar are consider farmer......

how true.

exactly what my guy frens told me.

in the green, if you're no scholar,

please get your land mower and own time own target.

i dont mean to belittle SAF regulars or people from another industry.
but options like taking a paycut, or going jobless at 45 is very very scary.
that's not even factoring in IF You have kids/aged parents to feed.(assuming wife can take care of herself lah!else just add in before fullstop).

Its not about belittling regulars, but think of it as, the military pays you very high, this is in preparation for you to be able to retire comfortably, leading a normal life at 40+... going jobless at 45 isnt supposed to be very very scary, because as mentioned, the military has pay u quite highly so that u can retire in a reasonably comfortable manner.

Most regulars when they retire:
a) Take a 50% paycut and convert to DXO and continue work till stat retirement age. (arnd 70% - 80% of the ppl)
b) If wife working, kids are already financially independent, the guy might wanna startup his business and try things out with the million dollar pension + savings.
c) Try to find a job in the commercial sector.
d) Some might even snap up properties and rent them out for income. Quite a number do this.

Its not about belittling regulars, but think of it as, the military pays you very high, this is in preparation for you to be able to retire comfortably, leading a normal life at 40+... going jobless at 45 isnt supposed to be very very scary, because as mentioned, the military has pay u quite highly so that u can retire in a reasonably comfortable manner.

Most regulars when they retire:
a) Take a 50% paycut and convert to DXO and continue work till stat retirement age. (arnd 70% - 80% of the ppl)
b) If wife working, kids are already financially independent, the guy might wanna startup his business and try things out with the million dollar pension + savings.
c) Try to find a job in the commercial sector.
d) Some might even snap up properties and rent them out for income. Quite a number do this.

very high?
that's pretty relative.

10k.
wife
2-3kids
house
car
aged parents.

sufficient?

imho, no way.

i know in sgp many families are like that,
but that's assuming

1)low maintenance wife
2)kids-cheaper childcare?
3)hdb
4)A to B car?
5)still working parents.

that's the point.
i didnt say it's PURELY lookin at how much dough he brings home.

i dont see how anyone earning less than 20-30k a month being able to afford me IF i'm not working.

Thats like ~300K per annum, its MD or CEO level liao... for my industry that is...

btw, kcuf2,

i salute you for serving the nation, for making our country safe.

i hope it all turns out well crafted for you when you finish your contract.

a big thank you.
:heart:

:bigeyes::thumbsup:

hmm since you are earning so much, it think it will bring u another problem... cos u had to find someone earning as much as you if not more then you... else you will not be satisfied. That's life. :(

anyway, since both of you are already together, why dun just ask him straight, what is his income like? I mean, dun have to hide such things right?

Thats like ~300K per annum, its MD or CEO level liao... for my industry that is...

it depends on what your industry is.

300k/a is peanuts in my industry.
i'm not kiddin

:bigeyes::thumbsup:

hmm since you are earning so much, it think it will bring u another problem... cos u had to find someone earning as much as you if not more then you... else you will not be satisfied. That's life. :(

anyway, since both of you are already together, why dun just ask him straight, what is his income like? I mean, dun have to hide such things right?

salaries are always sensitive.
i didnt ask cos i respect his privacy.

to be honest, when i'm with him, i DO sense his inferiority complex building up.
but he's humble, down to earth.
SAF had teach him well.

he mention that whenever we pull into a hotel lobby and valet park, he has thing feeling that people see him as a 'duck', if you know what i mean.
:bsmilie:

i had such a good laugh whenever i'm with him.:)

thanks guys for all the answers.

i'll be really honest.

someone whom i'm seeing is a SLTC.now 36.
we havent really been together long enough, that's why i'm really curious as to how much he's commanding.($, i mean).

i know, next person will come flaming my arse saying why look at $ blah blah blah blah blah, but seriously, it's one of the considerations for me.and please give me this rights.

imho, 7k-8k is a little low for a guy at mid 30s but i know it's tough comparing different sectors, different jobs.

in my sector, any guy at my level will easily be commanding 15k.

:cry:

to be honest, you should ask him directly. that will set all expectations straight. :)

this is a good option, if the property investment is done wisely. wasn't some investment-savvy lady in her 40's featured in the press recently for owning 53 properties which generate $50k rental income per month, besides her own successful business (in partnership with her husband). she also owns a supercar and a lao pok car.

mebbe this is the way for jeanie and her bf/hubby to go.

jeanie, for a guy to afford you and your lifestyle, he needs to be really investment-savvy, otherwise there's no way he can afford you on his army pay alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.