Pros and Cons of using lens adaptors on your DSLR

I can't give you the body at the moment, as I am thinking of switching camps at the moment :dunno: That is why I want to consider an adaptor :)

:embrass:Dare not ask at the official forums, those people will simply tell you :

1) Don't switch systems as you will loose out.

2) Since you already switch, why do you want to keep the old lens for, sell all and use the cam body manufacturer's lens. (They also sort of dissuade me from using 3rd party lens like Tokina, Sigma and Tamron)

For my answer to

1) I have other cameras that can still utilize the lenses, so not much loss to me at all.

2) Seems like the main alternative for adaptors (discounting EVIL/M4/3 systems) are for Nikon lenses. Which after looking around at clubsnap, accidentally got poisoned by them, the primes are good and reasonably priced. If the prime of the body manufacturer is deficient or over priced, I just might go with them.

Fortunately can tap your experience. But the adaptors are also not that expensive ($20 unit until it makes me worried if it can work well :dunno:) , if I can or need I will try to get a better one.

I can't give you the body at the moment, as I am thinking of switching camps at the moment :dunno: That is why I want to consider an adaptor :)

:embrass:Dare not ask at the official forums, those people will simply tell you :

1) Don't switch systems as you will loose out.

2) Since you already switch, why do you want to keep the old lens for, sell all and use the cam body manufacturer's lens. (They also sort of dissuade me from using 3rd party lens like Tokina, Sigma and Tamron)

For my answer to

1) I have other cameras that can still utilize the lenses, so not much loss to me at all.

2) Seems like the main alternative for adaptors (discounting EVIL/M4/3 systems) are for Nikon lenses. Which after looking around at clubsnap, accidentally got poisoned by them, the primes are good and reasonably priced. If the prime of the body manufacturer is deficient or over priced, I just might go with them.

Fortunately can tap your experience. But the adaptors are also not that expensive ($20 unit until it makes me worried if it can work well :dunno:) , if I can or need I will try to get a better one.

Read the link I provided if you decide on a Canon body. Also go to this site to read more about using alternative lenses.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55

When you have decided which camera body, ask here again and I can help. Before you get into lens adaptation and manual focusing, make sure you try it out first because it does not suit everybody.

Another consideration is that, if you're gonna get adaptors for Nikon lenses, and then go and buy all those old (and sweet) Nikon glass, you would do quite well to get a Nikon dSLR in the first place. You don't need adapters to mount older lenses, and depending on which body you get, you may or may not get metering. But that isn't a big problem, I feel. If you're somewhere where the lighting doesn't change much, then u just need to stick to one Exposure Value. You can still make pictures!

FYI, D200 and above will meter old lenses. D90, D3000, D5000, D60 etc etc, all will mount, but will not meter.

If i'm want to get a sigma lens nikon mount. but i have a canon 300D cam body. do i use a Nikon - EOS adapter?

I'm looking for an adapter for my Nikon mounted Tokina 11-16mm to put on my Canon 7D. So far I'm not having much luck in finding a reasonably priced adapter that lets me change the aperture on the Tok instead of shooting it fully wide open.

I've looked at this but the price is too much:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10072602novoflexeosnikntadapter.asp

I've also asked about the following on ebay:

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_1825wt_905

Seller said this cannot control the aperture but product description says "Allows quick & easy reconfiguration by enduser. You may re-select your favourite Aperture value, Focal length and Focus shift compensation factor as many times as you wish.".

Furthermore I looked at this video and it looks like you can adjust the aperture, so I'm not sure what's right here.

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220630018373&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

* You can change on a dandelion aperture in interval from F1.1 to F45
* You can change on a dandelion focal length in interval from 1mm to 65535mm

I asked the seller to confirm and he's a bit vague in explaining how it works.

3. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...8&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_4467wt_905

The Bower version won't do it, it'll only open and close the aperture.

I'm looking for an adapter for my Nikon mounted Tokina 11-16mm to put on my Canon 7D. So far I'm not having much luck in finding a reasonably priced adapter that lets me change the aperture on the Tok instead of shooting it fully wide open.

I've looked at this but the price is too much:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10072602novoflexeosnikntadapter.asp

I've also asked about the following on ebay:

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_1825wt_905

Seller said this cannot control the aperture but product description says "Allows quick & easy reconfiguration by enduser. You may re-select your favourite Aperture value, Focal length and Focus shift compensation factor as many times as you wish.".

Furthermore I looked at this video and it looks like you can adjust the aperture, so I'm not sure what's right here.

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220630018373&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

* You can change on a dandelion aperture in interval from F1.1 to F45
* You can change on a dandelion focal length in interval from 1mm to 65535mm

I asked the seller to confirm and he's a bit vague in explaining how it works.

3. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...8&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_4467wt_905

The Bower version won't do it, it'll only open and close the aperture.

You cannot adapt an AF Nikon lens to Canon as you will lose AF completely. If the Nikon AF lens has manual aperture control, then it's OK but you will still lose AF completely. So the later Nikon AF lenses, including 3rd party with body controlled aperture cannot be adapted.

Last edited:
You cannot adapt an AF Nikon lens to Canon as you will lose AF completely. If the Nikon AF lens has manual aperture control, then it's OK but you will still lose AF completely. So the later Nikon AF lenses, including 3rd party with body controlled aperture cannot be adapted.

Thanks Anthony but I already knew that, I want to change the aperture so that it's not on 2.8 full time. The expensive adapter I mentioned can do this, I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. My dilemma is will I have to sell my Nikon mounted Tokina and get a Canon?

Thanks Anthony but I already knew that, I want to change the aperture so that it's not on 2.8 full time. The expensive adapter I mentioned can do this, I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. My dilemma is will I have to sell my Nikon mounted Tokina and get a Canon?

Selling a Nikon mounted Tokina and buying a Canon version may be cheaper than buying the adapter and forgoing AF altogether. Also note the adaptor you mentioned may not be able to select all the apertures. Most people would do this only to experience the top notch Nikon lenses like the 14-24 on Canon.

Hi Anthony,

My Brother-in-law had a few Sigma lenses (Sigma Mount) and he own a Nikon D300 DSLR Camera. This few Sigma lenses have been kept in the Dry Cabinet for about 17 years already and is very wasteful if cannot use again. With your vast knowledge and experience, you think is there any possible way to fit onto his Nikon body? I have tried to search the website for Sigma to Nikon Mount Adaptor, but just cannot find any. Please help and Thank you in advance.

Hi Anthony,

My Brother-in-law had a few Sigma lenses (Sigma Mount) and he own a Nikon D300 DSLR Camera. This few Sigma lenses have been kept in the Dry Cabinet for about 17 years already and is very wasteful if cannot use again. With your vast knowledge and experience, you think is there any possible way to fit onto his Nikon body? I have tried to search the website for Sigma to Nikon Mount Adaptor, but just cannot find any. Please help and Thank you in advance.

First of all, are these Sigma lenses AF or manual focus lenses? If they are AF, then even if you can find an adapter you will not be able to change the aperture unless there is a rotating aperture ring. Secondly, there was a company(heard that it has closed) who actually made an SA to Nkon F adapter but for manual focusing only. Another way is to hunt for SA to M42 adapter and then plug in a M42 to Nikon F adapter. All these will work only for mf lenses. I can't remember where I read this but am sure you will to find something if you google ' Sigma SA to Nikon F adapter'.

First of all, are these Sigma lenses AF or manual focus lenses? If they are AF, then even if you can find an adapter you will not be able to change the aperture unless there is a rotating aperture ring. Secondly, there was a company(heard that it has closed) who actually made an SA to Nkon F adapter but for manual focusing only. Another way is to hunt for SA to M42 adapter and then plug in a M42 to Nikon F adapter. All these will work only for mf lenses. I can't remember where I read this but am sure you will to find something if you google ' Sigma SA to Nikon F adapter'.

Hi Anthony,

Appreciate your help & advice, my brother-in-law was so happy when I told him your advice. He said you give him hope and ask me thanks you on behalf of him. Btw, he told me some of the SA Mount Sigma lens have aperture ring and some don't have. So at least can use back those with aperture ring if can find those adaptor you mentioned.
Anthony, Thank you so much.