Preview of Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 9mm F8 Fisheye

Keith, how would you rate the sharpness? :)

Surprisingly sharper than I expected so long as it's in focus (I'm not trying to word play here but it's kinda impt to set the right distance setting)

Let me share a bit more:
1. There's actually 3 distance settings: close (20cm) , deep focus (0.5m to far), infinity (seriously far).
From my experience using the lens, using the deep focus mark will most likely be the most often set distance & give the best results.

2. U need to set custom focal length if u r using IBIS as there are no electrical contacts.

3. There's 5 elements in 4 groups in this lens, a surprise for me at this price point.

4. Technical wise I checked , the view is around 140 degrees , honestly very wide but of course still not as wide as some fisheyes are higher prices.

5. IQ wise, I felt the photos lacked contrast and could be punchier. But end of the day I'm looking at this lens as a fun alternative :)

6. It's not much more expensive than an Oly batt! Haha.

Last edited:
hi,

overall I will say quite good. But that is mainly because I went in with the right set of expectations

The lens is a body cap lens at f8 priced at around $135 (RRP)so street prices will be even better , the f8 will imply that its not going to be superb in low light situations. I had a lot of fun with the lens, plus points are that its really pocketable and easy to use. There are 2 distance settings (infinity and 2m) which adds to the ease of use too.

in all, a good toy lens to add to one's arsenal ;) just stuff in your pocket and go. At this price point, I really cannot argue for more :bsmilie:

a sample: used the grainy BW filter in this case.

1503873_676805895719389_2048170782_n.jpg

Thanks Keith!

Some pics to contribute:

4jncxc.jpg

316lxjm.jpg

This one is my fav so far, cause my wife's in it. :D
316xoaf.jpg

Last edited:
hi,

overall I will say quite good. But that is mainly because I went in with the right set of expectations

The lens is a body cap lens at f8 priced at around $135 (RRP)so street prices will be even better , the f8 will imply that its not going to be superb in low light situations. I had a lot of fun with the lens, plus points are that its really pocketable and easy to use. There are 2 distance settings (infinity and 2m) which adds to the ease of use too.

in all, a good toy lens to add to one's arsenal ;) just stuff in your pocket and go. At this price point, I really cannot argue for more :bsmilie:

a sample: used the grainy BW filter in this case.

1503873_676805895719389_2048170782_n.jpg
$135? Wow! I guess I need to get it in Japan then...

Recently got a copy from a fellow CS'er. Must say, quite pleasantly surprised at the performance for such an inxepensive lens!

Some quick sample shots taken on my way to work and going home :)

EPL6 -- 1/25 -- ISO 2500 handheld. Light PP on LR5.

2014%20May%20-%20Oly%209mm%20Field-1.jpg

Last edited:
EPL6 -- 1/25 -- ISO 2000 handheld. Light PP on LR5.

2014%20May%20-%20Oly%209mm%20Field-3.jpg

EM5 -- 1/80 -- ISO 500 handheld. PP on LR5.
2014%20May%20-%20Oly%209mm%20Field-4.jpg

EPL6 -- 0.6 sec -- ISO 2500 handheld. PP on LR5.
2014%20May%20-%20Oly%209mm%20Field-2.jpg

I am interested to know whether this lens can be fixed on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera directly. Since BMPCC have crop factor of 2.88:1, the lens will give a view of 27mm and by then I guess no more of the fisheye effects.

My amateur guess is, it would just vignette but retain the "fisheye" effect.

Thinking of getting one of these to try. Any opinion?