PPCDL Boat License - Sharing some pointers

thank god I passed mine 12 years ago at the SAF Yacht Club

one reminder ..... NEVER let the license expire and unrenewed ..... you will need to take the test ALL OVER AGAIN if you forget to renew it after x number of months/years

Great advice. For the past 12 years, how do you make use of your ppcdl? Can share some pointers? Thanks!

I took the theory close to 10 times. Pass the practical 1 time.

I think for the theory, you need to have a good grasp of the info. For practical, you need to show your tester that you are a 'safe' boater and they can be confident that you wont drink and boat.
Well said. Realized that theory we gotta do the mock questions as many times as possible. About 80% of the test questions will be same as those mock questions.

Can share your experience how we can use our ppcdl to the fullest benefits? Thanks!

Great advice. For the past 12 years, how do you make use of your ppcdl? Can share some pointers? Thanks!

ha ha actually since 1995 .....so about 16 years now

I used to own a 16ft fiberglass dinghy with a little 2-stroke 10hp outboard ........ did a lot of trolling and casting around Ubin and the various fish farms for Barramundi and mangrove jacks ..... would MUCH RATHER charter a boat nowadays to save the hassle of maintenance and other costs .... I hate engine washing and flushing and washing down the entire craft after a long day out fishing

Getting a boat license is good especially in Singapore waters.......and necessary for your own good. I'm glad you need to pass an exam to be licensed to operate a water craft given the heavy shipping and boat traffic especially in the Johor Straits and the strong running waters amongst the southern islands .... and all that jet skiing, sailing and water-skiing activities happening so close to boat traffic.... u get the idea...

Stuff from the course is still very helpful to me even till today.... like understanding who has a right of way in various situations, especially in a head-on situation at night , what the different color of lights mean, how to read markers , identifying the different light intervals from different beacons , how to berth safely , boating safety, knowing where the major sea lanes and anchorage areas are in Singapore

p/s of course knowing where the nearest places to go ashore and get a nice fresh shower or find some makan in the middle of the night was useful information too lolzzz

Last edited:
ha ha actually since 1995 .....so about 16 years now

I used to own a 16ft fiberglass dinghy with a little 2-stroke 10hp outboard ........ did a lot of trolling and casting around Ubin and the various fish farms for Barramundi and mangrove jacks ..... would MUCH RATHER charter a boat nowadays to save the hassle of maintenance and other costs .... I hate engine washing and flushing and washing down the entire craft after a long day out fishing

Getting a boat license is good especially in Singapore waters.......and necessary for your own good. I'm glad you need to pass an exam to be licensed to operate a water craft given the heavy shipping and boat traffic especially in the Johor Straits and the strong running waters amongst the southern islands .... and all that jet skiing, sailing and water-skiing activities happening so close to boat traffic.... u get the idea...

Stuff from the course is still very helpful to me even till today.... like understanding who has a right of way in various situations, especially in a head-on situation at night , what the different color of lights mean, how to read markers , identifying the different light intervals from different beacons , how to berth safely , boating safety, knowing where the major sea lanes and anchorage areas are in Singapore

p/s of course knowing where the nearest places to go ashore and get a nice fresh shower or find some makan in the middle of the night was useful information too lolzzz

Wow sounds like you fully utilize your Ppcdl after you've gotten it!
Saw on the Internet that most ppcdl holders don't even pilot a boat after they got their license...

Thanks for sharing man! So I assume you used to berth at MCC?

dry berthed at the SAFYC in Sembawang

ANOTHER thing about maintaining boats is the maintenance of the boat trailer ...... you cannot imagine the work involved when one of the wheels rust through or when the entire trailer rusts out lolz

Charter it ... dont buy a boat if you dont have the time and resources

Anyone here takes great photos of boating industry & hobby?
There's a watercraft thread here in ClubSNAP.

what's next after getting Ppcdl?
What's next? A harbour craft licence! :bsmilie:

one reminder ..... NEVER let the license expire and unrenewed ..... you will need to take the test ALL OVER AGAIN if you forget to renew it after x number of months/years
Ed9119, AFAIK when I was issued my PPCDL license I was informed that it carries with it a lifetime validity subjected to medical requirements. There is no need for any renewal.

Saw on the Internet that most ppcdl holders don't even pilot a boat after they got their license...
Same goes with my Class 5, the last time I stepped into the driver's seat of a heavy vehicle was during the practical test years ago, perhaps I can use it to drive a garbage truck when I am out of job.

Also I don't even remember where I had placed my PPCDL license as it is definitely not in my wallet.

;p

Last edited:
dry berthed at the SAFYC in Sembawang

ANOTHER thing about maintaining boats is the maintenance of the boat trailer ...... you cannot imagine the work involved when one of the wheels rust through or when the entire trailer rusts out lolz

Charter it ... dont buy a boat if you dont have the time and resources

Thanks man. Heard a lot about people regretting buying boats & getting a wrong first boat! Just got a marina club membership & start chartering/learning first.

"Ed9119, AFAIK when I was issued my PPCDL license I was informed that it carries with it a lifetime validity subjected to medical requirements. There is no need for any renewal."

I think for Ed9119 the license was issue with the old system; with the issue of the new plastic ID card license then its lifetime.
I remember I ever renewed my license a few times from 2 different location at either 5 or 10 year interval. And it was troublesome if the license lapses. worst of all their database is not inline with the national database , a liability if you changes address often.

As for the theory test conducted by MPA, I know of a friend whom have to take it 7 times despite being qualified to drive a powercraft in house. A record which no one has broken.

maverick55 said:
Thanks man. Heard a lot about people regretting buying boats & getting a wrong first boat! Just got a marina club membership & start chartering/learning first.

Marina memberships are not easy to dispose. Hope you've not gotten it yet.

My take on marina membership is to get it only if you've already bought a boat. There's little for non owners that you can't get from other clubs.

Boating in Singapore is a lot more hype than real. For one, we don't have destinations, there're very little places along the coast that you can go. P Seringat is one, all beaches are out of bounds, there're no coves or sheltered waters in the south. Ubin beaches are closed, Tekong is out of bounds, Seletar island is sand flies infested.

Riau is good but you need good charts to avoid reefs n rocks, save for the main navigation channels, it's not well charted.

Johore is also limited, the near areas are muddy.

Fuelling, if you use petrol is a challenge. Diesel is much easier.

To add, you can't anchor off anywhere n jump off for a swim. If its not in sheltered waters, likely there's a running current. A slow 2 kts flow will drift you away quite quickly. 3-5 are routinely seen.

If boat is not anchored, don't even try. If the wind n current are in opposite directions, you can guess.

Few can stay inside an enclosed cabin while it's rocking for more than a minute or two without turning green. Recovery for some do not occur until you hit land snd that can be a hour away Perpetuity for that person

With practice you'll get better but after the first hit, some will throw in the towel for good. Must be careful not to let this happen. stay out on the deck n keep your view outside while in the cabin. Look in only for short durations

Thanks qystan. Your advice is good.
Already got the marina club membership, more for my family outing & connecting more with the boating community. Will usually use the facilities on weekdays.

currents around the southern islands like St John are dangerous even at the jetty

Got my ppcdl licence through post.

ppcdl-licence.jpg

I got my PPCDL one-time first time, & you can too! « iuboating

In any other country in the world you don't need a license to operate a powerboat.
This isn't true.

Australia requires boat operators license and boat registration for any boat capable of 10knots or more.

See How to Get a Boat Licence - NSW Maritime

I have a small boat in Sydney - but since it's a 'traditional' displacement launch with a low power engine, it doesn't go fast enough to require a license to operate and it's motor power is below that required for the vessel to be registered.

I believe the US and the UK operate similar systems.

Last edited: