Post-Mortem: My 17-35mm

Drowned together with my D300 in a recent dive trip, I decided to open it up to see the heart of the lens. The SWM circuitry is precise and compact and the clarity of the lenses are amazing.

http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/160246

RIP... the 17-35mm used to be my favorite lens (on film)... :thumbsup:

How about your D300, did you open it up as well?

Now that you asked, yes I am going to.

Yes, it was really painful, especially the 17-35mm which I bought only last Nov. That fateful trip was only the 2nd dive trip since I got her. Nevertheless she has served me well for the short period. I have always been very careful with my o-rings and sealing and dunno what gotten over me that morning. The flooding occured on the surface, not even at depth! I must have misaligned my port on the housing.:cry:

Now that you asked, yes I am going to.

Yes, it was really painful, especially the 17-35mm which I bought only last Nov. That fateful trip was only the 2nd dive trip since I got her. Nevertheless she has served me well for the short period. I have always been very careful with my o-rings and sealing and dunno what gotten over me that morning. The flooding occured on the surface, not even at depth! I must have misaligned my port on the housing.:cry:
ouch... which waterproof casing were you using?

:cry: Sorry to hear that

Someone in camera repair forum mentioned that lens should be washed immediately with fresh water (to remove salty water) to prevent corrosion.

If the aperture blades are still intact, there's still hope that lens can be used (MF only)

:cry: Sorry to hear that

Someone in camera repair forum mentioned that lens should be washed immediately with fresh water (to remove salty water) to prevent corrosion.

If the aperture blades are still intact, there's still hope that lens can be used (MF only)

Yes, the proper thing to do is to soak the gear in fresh water immediately. Unfortunately on that dive in Bali, I was in a small catamaran with only bottled drinking water. As much as we tried to wash them, it did not help much. Moreover that was the first dive of the day and by the time I reached the hotel in the afternoon to soak them in the bath tub, it was too late. Arriving in Singapore two days later, I rushed to NSC but they pronounced them dead :angel:

aww very tragic indeed :eek:

aiyo my God, a 17-35 and D300, my heart also break for you. :bheart:

What happened? O-ring malfunction?

Actually nowadays we should just dive with pns as we will see a drowned camera sooner or later. :sweat:

:bheart::bheart::bheart:
i feel for you too as my camera has flooded before too... also beyond repair when rush to olympus service center... but mine was a pro-consumer camera... so still not as pain as yours... after that incident, i always make sure i go down with the camera housing without the camera for the 1st dive for every dive trip...

ouch... guess you have to get another D300... if not the set-up will be wasted...
;) sell the S&S housing off and get a SEACAM + D700...!!!!

Last edited:
always make sure i go down with the camera housing without the camera for the 1st dive for every dive trip...

Aiyo like that waste one dive without camera, what if a whaleshark turn up? Somemore must dive with empty housing.

Aiyo like that waste one dive without camera, what if a whaleshark turn up? Somemore must dive with empty housing.

just my standard practise to check for degraded O-ring... :)

i have video of myself with whaleshark already... and seen for more than 2 times with and without camera... the scene is already unforgetable and etch into my memories... :)
next time i see one, i will just enjoy the moment with it....

Last edited:
My condolences too...
I've never dive with a camera but just my two cents worth suggestion...
Is it possible to finish up the installation in hotel, test it in a water-filled bathtub in the hotel before the dive? I know the pressure is different but at least you can do a test first!

great setup, and i feel the pain as well bro ..

condolence bro...to your D300 & your 17-35mm...
D300 is a very lovable camera..i have 1 as well and its like a brother to me,,stays with me everywhere i go...thats why i loved it very much...