Plasma, LCD HD or Full HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For standard broadcast my out of box for the LCD is terrible but after tuning it for a day the PQ is now better than my plasma, clearer, sharper with better details and clarity.
Even with action broadcast the PQ is good. If you buy a Sony the delivery guys can help you to tune and plug in all your component, they are technically proficient.
On HD quality the LCD actually have better clarity, colour and contrast than my plasma but again maybe my plasma is a older version so I can't tell if the newer ones are better.
Overall I think LCD had caught up with plasma and is the way to go in the future however plasma is still a formidable competitor.
Actually can't go very wrong with both if you are just watching normal TV but to avoid disapointment you can get plasma especially for normal broadcast, with LCD you will have to fine tuned it but can be better after tuning.

Bro Dennis. Can you share with us what does the tuning entail?

Try to ans your qns as you have similar setup conditions, wall with full panel windows at the side.

1) My TV is place in the ctr of a 12 ft wall 90 degrees from the wildow. This window in my hall is a full length, full wall window, it covers from top to bottom and left to right about 10 ft X 15 ft. There are some glare on my TV now and the only way to enjoy a good show is to pull the shades all the way but MIL and my CFO is not too trill wilth it. ( just to give you a guild on the brightness there, I can shoot there at ISO 200, speed 1/125 at f.5.6 ). Since the TV have to be there, what type/brand/model would be more advisable to help cut down the glare since I can't totally cut it off.

You may have to continue to pull the shades again to optimised the quality.
On both my plasma and LCD it is not a problem but with the LCD seems to cut glare a little better.

2) Hoping to get a new one at least 40 inch ( a 50" will be :lovegrin: but don't think my CFO will approve the budget for it )

3) budget about $3K ( not sure if this is good enough to get a reasonablely good 40", so will relook at this again and maybe do some adjustment )

Size depends on your viewing distance but generally as a guide around 3 times then screen size. i.e. 50" means viewing distance around 150" (12.5 ft). You may want to budget a little more and go for the very best especially if you are looking at LCD panels.

4) I understand that for computer LCD monitors, there are some technical issues when the screens go bigger, ie: same brand same model but 20" is better than 24" due to some technical issues for the image consistance throughout the whole screen. Anything like this on LCD or plasma screens? ie: 40" better than 42"/50" ?

New LCD screens should not have a problem with size and definitely not with plasma.

5) Is the screen viewable from a large angle like a CRT? I don't think can get the same 180 degree of a CRT but how large is the usual angle for the different types of TVs ?

Yes most screen (Plasma and LCD) will have a viewing angle of around 178 degrees (magic figures) however a plasma will give a better image quality when view at extreme angle.
LCD screen will have a lower contrast when view at extreme angle.

Thanks Dennis for your reply.

Looks like there are + amd - for both plasma and LCD but it do seems like advancements are going the way of LCD more than plasma. Correct?

BTW what tuining did you do with your LCD ? Care to share?

Anyone else have other pointers to add?

Also...ask yourself...are you going for Blu-ray? and your viewing distance is near?If yes..then consider 1080P full HD...if not...1080i is good enough...cos if the distance is too far, you wont be able to make out the diff....

Bro Dennis. Can you share with us what does the tuning entail?

If tuning means TV calibration, then its not hard to do. Can do it yourself and all you need is a calibration disc or the THX calibration optimizer that is included in some movie DVDs. 1st is to set your room lighting conditions and then follow the disc instructions.

Or, you can pay and get professional calibration and its gonna but quite costly I think.

If its broadcast tuning, the only way I know is to use manual tuning and then the fine tuning function to get the best reception. If using Starhub digital box etc, just use the RCA type AV/componant inputs you connected. No need to tune I guess.

Tuning the TV is I think mostly a personal affair because you tune the TV to your liking.
But what is being tuned are basically the following, one is the general contrast, brightness and the picture mode that will be used most often. The other parts consist of things like backlight, colour intensity, hue, colour temperature, sharpness, DRC palette, black corrector, gamma, colour space, white balance enhancer etc. If you also watch mpeg or photos etc can also adjust the noise reduction, sharpness etc.
You will have to fine tune to suit different movie types as well as the more general viewing and set the different types for different inputs i.e. DVD, Blu-ray etc.

I would say HD.
And currently,the 32' are the best buy.

Yes if you have the calibration tools it would be best and if you buy Pioneer panel they can calibrate for you.

If tuning means TV calibration, then its not hard to do. Can do it yourself and all you need is a calibration disc or the THX calibration optimizer that is included in some movie DVDs. 1st is to set your room lighting conditions and then follow the disc instructions.

Or, you can pay and get professional calibration and its gonna but quite costly I think.

If its broadcast tuning, the only way I know is to use manual tuning and then the fine tuning function to get the best reception. If using Starhub digital box etc, just use the RCA type AV/componant inputs you connected. No need to tune I guess.

+1 to Pioneer.....IMO my 3 yr old pioneer 1080i plasma beats my 1mth SONY 1080p LCD.....just my opinion.

Yep, I believe plasma is still good but LCD is catching up and only until recently LCD are comparable to plasma. Even than I am comparing my 6/7 year old 1080i pioneer plasma against the top of the line Sony 1080p Bravia X series. I believe if you compare anything below the X series (W, V etc) the plasma may still be better. Not sure about other brands.
Like I mentioned earlier Pioneer makes one of the best plasmas and their recent Kuro series uses their EX5000 panel as a reference. EX5000 is still one of the best panels around but the price is steep and I believe not many will go for it. Was temped once but looking at the price it is not worth paying now.

+1 to Pioneer.....IMO my 3 yr old pioneer 1080i plasma beats my 1mth SONY 1080p LCD.....just my opinion.

Yes if you have the calibration tools it would be best and if you buy Pioneer panel they can calibrate for you.

The DIY calibration I'm talking about is cheap and pratically free with THX discs. These THX optimizer are basic but they do the job for most homes and people as its not very complicated and easy to understand.

If want professional calibration, then it will be ex and they will have their calibration tools and hardware/software etc.

THX optimizer:
http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/optimizer/index.html

http://www.engadgethd.com/2005/07/29/hdtv-calibration-done-dirt-cheap/

Movie list:
http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/search.html

If u have any of these discs in the list, u can likely find the THX optimizer under 'Special Features' in the DVD menu.

Thanks for all the reply so far.
Looks like plasma is still worth looking at, I'll go down to the showrooms to have a look again this weekend. But what I hate about the showrooms are, the sales people always try to sell me those which they have a higher commission and try to down play the rest, so the info they give me is base on which brand they can earn more from rather than the real good and bad of the brand/model. But no choice, they are also earning a living.

Also...ask yourself...are you going for Blu-ray? and your viewing distance is near?If yes..then consider 1080P full HD...if not...1080i is good enough...cos if the distance is too far, you wont be able to make out the diff....

OK, thanks Paladin.

I know Blu-ray is another new tech thing which improves the image but would I be right to say that at the moment it's only for selected titles of DVDs with Blu-ray?

Withregards to the viewing distance, mine is about 14ft. would that be consider near, OK or far?

Tuning the TV is I think mostly a personal affair because you tune the TV to your liking.
But what is being tuned are basically the following, one is the general contrast, brightness and the picture mode that will be used most often. The other parts consist of things like backlight, colour intensity, hue, colour temperature, sharpness, DRC palette, black corrector, gamma, colour space, white balance enhancer etc. If you also watch mpeg or photos etc can also adjust the noise reduction, sharpness etc.
You will have to fine tune to suit different movie types as well as the more general viewing and set the different types for different inputs i.e. DVD, Blu-ray etc.

Thanks Dennis, that looks like a lot of tuning to do. No wounder you mention that you took a whole day to do the tuning.

Maybe you can consider doing tuning as a sideline for a small fee ;)

The DIY calibration I'm talking about is cheap and pratically free with THX discs. These THX optimizer are basic but they do the job for most homes and people as its not very complicated and easy to understand.

If want professional calibration, then it will be ex and they will have their calibration tools and hardware/software etc.

THX optimizer:
http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/optimizer/index.html

http://www.engadgethd.com/2005/07/29/hdtv-calibration-done-dirt-cheap/

Movie list:
http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/search.html

If u have any of these discs in the list, u can likely find the THX optimizer under 'Special Features' in the DVD menu.

Bros afbug, dennis, thanks for the explanation on fine-tuning. :)

after reading all the replies here... i take it tha Plasma TV is not a sunset technology right? coz, if it is, then i don't think they will be coming out with full HD Plasma TVs.

btw, does the latest generation of LCD TVs still suffer from "ghosting effect" when displaying fast action sequence?

after reading all the replies here... i take it tha Plasma TV is not a sunset technology right? coz, if it is, then i don't think they will be coming out with full HD Plasma TVs.

btw, does the latest generation of LCD TVs still suffer from "ghosting effect" when displaying fast action sequence?

Not sure if this "ghosting effect" is the same, but I've a friend who own a LCD TV and he complain about having a "ghost/shadow image" image on his TV but only on ch5 and ch8 ( if I remember correctly ). He complain to his condo's management and after they got the cableguy to tune the signal amp/booster for their condo, the problem is sloved.

you can try megastore at katong, they got pretty good prices.

you can try megastore at katong, they got pretty good prices.

hahaha!!! Bingo!!! unless I want to get the extended warrenty from Harvey Norman, sure to get from them, 100% !!!! because can get "special" discount ;)

hahaha!!! Bingo!!! unless I want to get the extended warrenty from Harvey Norman, sure to get from them, 100% !!!! because can get "special" discount ;)

You know who to look for anot? If you want to know come for kopi tom.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.