[pinholecam] A week with ...... (random ramblings of a lens junkie) - 2015

20151129-DSC08647-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

#2 - Stop down
The optical vignetting does clear off rather fast when stopped down.
Even a bit between the f2 and f2.8 mark helps reduces it.

20151209-DSC08737-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

While this isn't the sharpest 50mm for the SLR, its still okish for f8 work if necessary.
Its very sharp centrally, comparable to any other 50, but I still find it a bit weaker on the edges in comparison. (note : not bad, just that the others are better).

Its hard to say if its really the lens or the adapter or the sensor of the A7.
But I use what I got and don't like to lament too much on any of these things.
Anyway, I think its ok for f8 work, just that since I got better, I'd use those instead and leave the Helios44 for its specialty.

A week with the Rollei Planar HTF 50/1.8

20151213-DSC08787-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

This is a rather special lens for me (maybe to you too :) )
Reason is that its "Made in Singapore"
Yes, this was made in the Rollei Singapore factory till the 90's when it was closed down.
Those who like to tout that grass is greener elsewhere will say that the quality of the stuff MIS was not up to the German grade and that was one of the reasons why it closed, though as with such things, only those involved in the company will know.
I'd like to think that by that time, the financial realities and competition had ate so much into the company that closure was not unexpected.

Hey my MIS fishing reel is a hundred times smoother than my MIJ one...I catch more fish with it too. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hey my MIS fishing reel is a hundred times smoother than my MIJ one...I catch more fish with it too. :bsmilie:

:D

I think the Shimano factory is still alive and kicking in Singapore.
Not sure what they make now though...

20151213-DSC08812 by jenkwang, on Flickr

There is always some discussion going on about what the lens design is.
Some say its a Voigtlander Color Ultron, others that its a Zeiss Planar.
The lens does look like the former on the exterior save for marking/text differences.

The ownership of the Voigtlander name certainly adds to the source of confusion.
It was owned by Zeiss in 1956 and integrated by 1965.
Then by 1973, it was sold off to Rollei.

Some claim that the HFT coating (marked on the lens bezel) is the same as the T* Zeiss coating.

Last edited:

20151213-DSC08806 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Lens info :

7 elements in 6 groups
Weight: 185gm
Minimum Focus Distance: 45cm
Filter Mount: 49mm

Originally, this lens is a QBM mount, which is harder to be used on a DSLR.
I was lucky to get it converted thru a mass order into M42 mount for my 5D and other cameras like my Pentax DSLRs.
Of course nowadays, an adapter readily allows a QBM mount lens to be used on a mirrorless camera.

20151213-DSC08784 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Build wise is rather nice for the lens.
Very damped and smooth manual focus ring.
Size is decent though not really that small compared to some f1.7,f1.8, f2 SLR 50mms.
I do have a comment that the aperture f-stop is a bit less generous though as its in 1 stop intervals instead of 1/2 stops that are pretty common.
Kind of unexpected for a lens from such a reputable maker.

20151219-DSC08815 by jenkwang, on Flickr

To me, the bokeh wide open is generally alright, though there will be situations where it can be a bit more funky. (which is the case for most 50's)
Lens performance wise, its whats to be expected of a 50mm planar lens design of the f1-7-f2 type and of its timeline.
Which is to say, rather good from wide open, gets all good to the edges by f4 and very sharp from f5.6-f8.

Colors and contrast are very nice for me.
Especially way the lens tend to draw the in focus subject (usually a Zeiss like quality )

Last edited:

20151219-DSC08831-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

CA resistance is a bit weaker on the lens at wide open, which is a bit of a surprise as its usually more 'tamed' for the slower f1-7-f2 type fast 50's.
But as usual for me, its just a matter of learning the strength and weakness of the lens that one owns rather than lamenting too much about not having that never going happen 'perfect lens'. :)

This is quite a good all rounder lens imho, and I'd have no qualms using it for a day out where versatility is needed.
In fact thats what I used the lens for over the week, from people shots with some isolation, detail shots of some cooking, f8 type landscape shots as well.

Another week with the Pentax K28/3.5

20151206-DSC08679-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Returning with a mix of a few Dec shots with this lens as well as new ones over the week.

I just want to re-explore more on the 28mm focal length on FF.
Especially so when the IQ is so good on this particular lens.

DSC08757 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Belated, but here's a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :)

Merry Christmas! by jenkwang, on Flickr

Joined a cycling ride and it took me to places I thought I knew.
Certainly did not know about the murals covered in the cycle about.
It just goes to show that there are so many things to photograph if I go around more.

This one I shot before joining the cycle about along the way.

20151227-DSC08900-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Last edited:

20151227-DSC08913 by jenkwang, on Flick

Though I did not spend too much time with the cycling outing, the 28mm focal length seem well suited for the general tasks of coverage, some detail shots and cityscapes with some consideration to what framing it can give.

Last edited:

Dino feet by jenkwang, on Flickr

Some just from a shot trip.

I think I've mentioned this before about the supposed use of various mount lenses to get 'optimal' IQ or other qualities and its downsides.
Looks like this time it bit me and I am sure it would be a sooner or later thing.
I packed a CV12/5.6 (M-mount), Pentax K28/3.5 for the short trip so that the 12mm would be the ultra wide option.

So the horror when I took the CV12 out of my bag, tried to mount it on my camera and could not do so.
Obviously, I screwed myself in my haste of packing the bag while juggling child matters for the trip that I forgot the M mount adapter. :bigeyes:
As said before,IMO, its often a good thing to just have one mount type to keep things simple and lower the risk of not bringing the right adapter.
This certainly over many theoretical superiority of one lens over another since "no adapter = no picts".

So the K28 became my widest option for the trip.

Last edited:

Dino feet by jenkwang, on Flickr

Some just from a shot trip.

I think I've mentioned this before about the supposed use of various mount lenses to get 'optimal' IQ or other qualities and its downsides.
Looks like this time it bit me and I am sure it would be a sooner or later thing.
I packed a CV12/5.6 (M-mount), Pentax K28/3.5 for the short trip so that the 12mm would be the ultra wide option.

So the horror when I took the CV12 out of my bag, tried to mount it on my camera and could not do so.
Obviously, I screwed myself in my haste of packing the bag while juggling child matters for the trip that I forgot the M mount adapter. :bigeyes:
As said before,IMO, its often a good thing to just have one mount type to keep things simple and lower the risk of not bringing the right adapter.
This certainly over many theoretical superiority of one lens over another since "no adapter = no picts".

So the K28 became my widest option for the trip.

That's sad!! I'll take note of that "1 adapter, 1 lens" thingie if I switch system :p

Cya next year, hope to see more ramblings from you! :)

Not that a very wide angle like a 12mm is often needed for vast land spaces like beaches anyway.
So the 28mm fitted so well as the only wide.

'Exercises' like this 'a lens a week' series certainly helps to add to the fall right into the use of the lens and focal length rather than having to find my step with a focal length I am not familiar with.
In fact, I shot quite a bit (landscapes) with a 50mm too.

20151230-DSC09211-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Its the end of the year already.
Hard to believe that its already been 2 runnings of 'A week with'

Thanks to everyone for the support and for reading/viewing the ramblings of a lens junkie.

Happy New Year 2016. :)

Happy New Yr bro ;)

Great thread I've followed !

That's sad!! I'll take note of that "1 adapter, 1 lens" thingie if I switch system :p

Cya next year, hope to see more ramblings from you! :)

Keeping it simpler is always not a bad thing :D

Urban spaces could be more of a problem, but large outdoors, very often 28mm is plenty.

Happy New Year 2016 to you :cool: