[pinholecam] A week with ...... (random ramblings of a lens junkie) - 2015

Raleigh, Sky and Mono by jenkwang, on Flickr

Perhaps it was this over use of the focal length and its limitations and made me avoid it during digital.
As such, I have had only one 28mm prime, and perhaps another if I count the 28mm equivalent DP1m that I have.

20151118-DSC08081-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

In the past, I've always opted for the faster lens given a choice.
But this perhaps is really a mistake.
Because faster is not necessarily better.

A slower lens can be smaller and designed to be very good optically from its max aperture and at times be better optically than its faster peers.
This is certainly the case for the Pentax K28/3.5.

When I learned about the performance of this lens thru some friends on the forums, I knew I had to try one out.

20151120-DSC08121-1-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

8 elements, 7 groups
Filter size : 52 mm
Dimensions : 63 x 47 mm
Weight : 261 g

This is a hefty lens and feels very solid.

IQ wise, is impressive indeed.
It reminds me of :
1. The stark sharpness of my DP1m (a 28mm equivalent) at f8. (mine is a modded A7, btw)
2. The IQ of a 50mm lens stopped down to f8, which in most cases is simply superb (and this lens gives the same but with a wider FOV of 28mm)

Last edited:

20151118-DSC08102 by jenkwang, on Flickr

In digital, it seems that 24mm is the new 28 as the wide option.
Even on a zoom, a zoom with 28mm is often the 'low option' compared to the one with 24mm.

There is a difference though imo.
The 28mm does seem to give a wide/normal perspective to things.
No feeling that the perspective is pushed or stretched.
A very "natural wide view" if I try to put it in words.

The result though, may be its own downfall in this age.
It may appear too bland in this day when wider is considered 'better', and so is 'faster' (though the latter, I dunno the times its needed for a wide angle lens)
Perhaps the style nowadays is for a 'shock effect' and wider and Ultra Wide gives that.
Or maybe just that we live in tight urban spaces where its really hard to get the shot we want with a 28mm (or even a 24mm).

Solitary road from the city by jenkwang, on Flickr

28mm on FF is certainly rather different from a 18mm apsc lens that gives 28mm equivalent.
The DOF difference is really quite a bit.
Where its an advantage for isolation using shallow DOF for faster lenses, at 28mm, landscape shots, the shallower DOF for the same FOV on FF can be harder to deal with.
Add some foreground and it can be a challenge keeping both fore/background in tack focus.
I do think 24mm on FF gets away with this a bit better.

So no free lunch certainly.

Clouds over civilization by jenkwang, on Flickr
Shortly after this shot, the winds brought in the rain very quickly.
Flip flops did not help with running at least a good 3km back to shelter.
I was thankful my gear was light. (a camera, 3 smallish primes including the K28/3.5)
Took off the flip flops, some barefoot running back. (now I remember why I hate flip flops)

The Pentax K28/3.5 has certainly been a 28mm that has inspired me to re-look at the 28mm focal length again.

Last edited:
A week with the Pentax K135/2.5

20151121-DSC08230 by jenkwang, on Flickr

I seem to have collected quite a few 135mm lenses over the years.
Not really a surprise given that 135mm are usual good lenses optically.
Generally fast, not very expensive, reasonably sized for the isolation they can give for portraits.

The water diviner by jenkwang, on Flickr

This focal length shines on FF imho.
On apsc, its just a lot harder to get that very far working distance to get a full body portrait.
Coupled with the still reasonable size of this lens, I find that its perhaps the best compromise between portability/encumbrance as well as having a full body portrait focal length and mid reach lens for landscapes.

Last edited:

20151121-DSC08264-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

In an open area outdoors, this lens just shines for me.
A nice level of contrast and colors typical of Pentax SMC coated lenses.
Good level of off-center sharpness too from wide open, which makes it easier to compose the subject off center.

Last edited:

20151121-DSC08281 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Lens details :
6 elements, 6 groups
Filter Size : 58 mm
Dimensions : 68 x 86 mm
Weight : 500 g

A fast 135mm is starting to get big/heavy for my preference of traveling light, but this is still ok for the Pentax K135/2.5
I'm inclined to say that its perhaps at the 'max' of what I'd consider taking along (w/o much hesitation) for travels as my longest lens which can give the ability of subject isolation thru shallow DOF.

20151121-DSC08292-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

This lens practically lived on my camera for the short trip.
The distance and perspective compression was just right to take some shots of the CBD too.

Most 135mm are very good optically and the K135/2.5 is no exception of course.
Nothing to complain about for f8 type work.

DSC08296 by jenkwang, on Flickr

The compression of a short tele worked better in this location, imo.
It served to pull in the very far CBD into a much closer perspective.
I certainly would have been left with picts with a lot of empty sky and sea if I did not have the 135mm with me.

In fact, I've often found that in large places (eg. mountain areas), the 135mm becomes almost the must have to 'cover the distance'.
Something that should explore a bit more by swapping out my using short tele of 77mm-85mm with a 135mm for a future trip.

Last edited:

20151122-DSC08328-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Final image from the short weekend trip and the Pentax K135/2.5.
I was glad I mixed it a bit and brought this instead of the shorter 85mm.
Gave me a new perspective literally (as well as a bit more insight on how I can use the 135mm FL more in future)

A week with the Helios 44

20151129-DSC08643-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

I try to resist going color this week.
Perhaps just to see how the original design of the Helios 44 was intended to be (on BnW film).

The Russian Helios 44 is a Biotar lens design that has been the standard lens for Russian SLRs for a very long period (~1958-92).
58mm f2
6 elements in 4 groups
Filter : 49mm (though 52mm variant also exists)

There are many variations of this lens, often with an additional designation after the 44-" ", so 44, 44-1, 44-7, etc.
It was also made for various mounts, notably M42, M39, Zenit, Pentax K.
My version is the 44 in M42 mount which is easily adaptable to various systems.

20151129-DSC08621-Tmax100 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Being such an old lens, I don't think it was designed for color as a consideration. (ie. no color correction)
So shooting in BnW perhaps lets me have a glimpse of what the original design catered for.

My impressions is that contrast is rather high especially considering that this lens probably don't have much of a multi-coat or that effective ones.
This does leave a rather vivid impact on the in focus image to me.

Being such an old lens, I don't think it was designed for color as a consideration. (ie. no color correction)
So shooting in BnW perhaps lets me have a glimpse of what the original design catered for.

My impressions is that contrast is rather high especially considering that this lens probably don't have much of a multi-coat or that effective ones.

Have u tried other Helios versions? swirl is as distracting as it's interesting haha

Have u tried other Helios versions? swirl is as distracting as it's interesting haha

I do have a H103 which is in Contax mount (ie. a RF lens).

The thing about the Helios 44 versions is that there are so many.
By the number designations alone, at least 7 variants and I saw an ongoing thread where the poster was trying to keep tabs on all variants.

Generally speaking, the Helios designation is a Biotar lens design.
This will mean swirly bokeh and mainly center only sharpness wide open to about f4.
Liking the swirl or not is of course totally subjective.

The rule of thumb is roughly that the later the design (ie. the larger the designation number), the sharper the lens, but the lesser the swirl.
If people don't want the swirl, they might as well get a Jap 50mm of the same era if they want 'all round usable'. :D

Mitigation of the swirl?
You got to read further more on my thread. ;)

Last edited:

very interesting swirl with its very own strong characteristics bro.;)

20151129-DSC08611-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

The Biotar design typically has quite a bit of optical vignetting (also referred to as 'cat eyes'), which works to give the effect of swirl in the OOF highlights.
I like this effect and strive to look out for more ways to use it, but thats not all the lens can offer the user imo.

On mitigation of the swirl.
#1 - Use it up close
As can be seen in the first pict of the flower and the one in this page.
In fact, I find the bokeh of the Helios 44 to be very good when its used close up.