Photography-related FAQs and Links for Newbies

I'd like to contribute as well...

Read - 5 Tips in Choosing the Best DSLR camera for Beginners | David's Simple Photography gives you 5 tips to help you find out how to buy your first digital SLR camera that suits YOU.

5 tips in choosing your first DSLR camera for beginners.

Define your budget
Identify your requirements
Check availability of lenses and accessories
Find out what your close friends and family are using
Buy and forget

Read - 5 Tips in Choosing the Best DSLR camera for Beginners

Please re-share if you find it useful :)

I'm new to this forum, and I would just like to say there is a ton of infomation here and like what I see.

I sincerely agree.

what starter lense do you recomend? i was thinking of 18-55 and 55-250. but my friend said i need a wide angle. is it a must?

what starter lense do you recomend? i was thinking of 18-55 and 55-250. but my friend said i need a wide angle. is it a must?

Bro, I think you should start off this topic in a new thread (or a good forum search can help too) instead.....But well..

Always start from your kit lens (18-XX or 18-XXX). After using your lens for a period of time, you will then find out what you really require (As in, you will find out what is your shooting style. If you are always using the 18mm end, prob a UWA may be a good next buy, if you are never touching the 18mm, and always at the 30-55 region, you can think of 24-XXX as a next lens etc).

If after using the kit lens and you think that there is nothing wrong with your starter/kit lens, then the $ can be saved up for other stuffs/or go into savings.

It's NOT necessary to cover all the range from UWA to Tele. You just need the one/few that suits you. Some "folks" can stick on a UWA and walk the world while others can't take the long tele off their lens either.

That said, 55-250 is a nice add on to 18-55 and is quite cheap (as compared to other tele photo lens). IMO, if you are considering this combo 18-55, 55-250, I really recommend a look into the 18-2XX lens, it will come at a cost thou.

SkyStrike said:
Bro, I think you should start off this topic in a new thread (or a good forum search can help too) instead.....But well..

Always start from your kit lens (18-XX or 18-XXX). After using your lens for a period of time, you will then find out what you really require (As in, you will find out what is your shooting style. If you are always using the 18mm end, prob a UWA may be a good next buy, if you are never touching the 18mm, and always at the 30-55 region, you can think of 24-XXX as a next lens etc).

If after using the kit lens and you think that there is nothing wrong with your starter/kit lens, then the $ can be saved up for other stuffs/or go into savings.

It's NOT necessary to cover all the range from UWA to Tele. You just need the one/few that suits you. Some "folks" can stick on a UWA and walk the world while others can't take the long tele off their lens either.

That said, 55-250 is a nice add on to 18-55 and is quite cheap (as compared to other tele photo lens). IMO, if you are considering this combo 18-55, 55-250, I really recommend a look into the 18-2XX lens, it will come at a cost thou.

Hmm I tried to not consider the 18-200 because of the cost hmmm most prob buying next week or shud I wait till the pcshow

Hmm I tried to not consider the 18-200 because of the cost hmmm most prob buying next week or shud I wait till the pcshow

Most will advice you NOT to buy from the PC shows as they sell at Recommended Retail Price (RRP) which is more expensive than the recommended shops (refer to Price Guides Section).

btw, the freebies given in the PC shows are NOT free. You have paid for it by buying it at RRP :) and also, you are also better off buying from recommended shops then use the savings and buy a better quality Tripod or get a dry cabinet etc.

Most will advice you NOT to buy from the PC shows as they sell at Recommended Retail Price (RRP) which is more expensive than the recommended shops (refer to Price Guides Section).

btw, the freebies given in the PC shows are NOT free. You have paid for it by buying it at RRP :) and also, you are also better off buying from recommended shops then use the savings and buy a better quality Tripod or get a dry cabinet etc.
some were saying during pc show go to the shops in funan will still get same freebies at lower price true?

some were saying during pc show go to the shops in funan will still get same freebies at lower price true?

If you are talking about the standard "free" gifts like the SD card and a bag, any shop selling the camera unit will give you the same package.

e.g. Just an illustration actual value/freebies may differ

RRP Package (The standard package when you buy at Challenger or Harvey Norman when there are no special promos)
- Free SD card and a Free bag @ total of $2k (the one listed on the OFFICIAL website e.g. Canon.com or Nikon.com etc)

PC Show
- RRP Package + tripod + cleaning cloth etc.. .. @ total of $2k

Street Price/Recommended shops
- RRP Package @ total of $1.8K

Hope you get a better idea.

If you are talking about the standard "free" gifts like the SD card and a bag, any shop selling the camera unit will give you the same package.

e.g. Just an illustration actual value/freebies may differ

RRP Package (The standard package when you buy at Challenger or Harvey Norman when there are no special promos)
- Free SD card and a Free bag @ total of $2k (the one listed on the OFFICIAL website e.g. Canon.com or Nikon.com etc)

PC Show
- RRP Package + tripod + cleaning cloth etc.. .. @ total of $2k

Street Price/Recommended shops
- RRP Package @ total of $1.8K

Hope you get a better idea.
yea i know about that but the prev pc show they were giving drybox and stuff

yea i know about that but the prev pc show they were giving drybox and stuff

You will be better of taking the savings by buying from the recommended shops (instead of PC Shows, Harvey, Challenger) and spend it on a larger Dry Cabinet and a better tripod.

SkyStrike said:
You will be better of taking the savings by buying from the recommended shops (instead of PC Shows, Harvey, Challenger) and spend it on a larger Dry Cabinet and a better tripod.

Okays thank you 50liters enough?

If you have the space and budget to get one, it will serve well... my 40L is getting cramp now.
maybe i just get a dry box. and wait for more equiptments to come then i buy the cabi

maybe i just get a dry box. and wait for more equiptments to come then i buy the cabi

Please read the following thread for Dry Box and Dry Cabi: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/771068-Do-i-need-a-drybox-Why-Where-to-buy-How-to-buy-drybox

To keep this thread clean, for any further questions, I would advice you to do a search first or post it as a new thread in the respective category.

Camera Bag Buying Advice and Tips

[video=youtube;i9wKnLaPNA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9wKnLaPNA0&feature=feedu[/video]

I came across this very useful post from digital photography school (DPS) Titled: Learning to See. It's a 11 part post. But it shares about many things such as perspectives, using the rules and breaking the rules, Colours etc.

It can be time consuming to read all of it but to understand it, one may take a lifetime mastering it. It's abit long, but definitely worth a read.

Learning to See – Part 1
Learning to See, Part II
Learning to See, Part III
Learning to See, Part IV
Learning to See, Part V
Learning to See, Part VI
Learning to See, Part VII
Learning to See, Part VIII
Learning to See, Part IX
Learning to See, Part X
Learning to See, Final

Reactions: SubraaPD