Perth and Western Australia

bayswater if you kenna accident good luck to you.

the insurance you pay for so little doesn't cover anything... they will come after you for the full sum of repairs if anything goes wrong.

heard too many bad things about them. when things are good and no accident, sunshine and happiness. when accident, things get ugly kenna sue left right centre with or without their so-called 'insurance coverage'.

reallY?? so this site is just gimmicks? hmm... :think:

I'll be paying $8 more a day for the Standard Cover which reduces damage responsibility to $300.. In this case, I will only have to pay $300 if I get into an accident (regardless of whose fault it is, right?)

reallY?? so this site is just gimmicks? hmm... :think:

I'll be paying $8 more a day for the Standard Cover which reduces damage responsibility to $300.. In this case, I will only have to pay $300 if I get into an accident (regardless of whose fault it is, right?)

the service is good but insurance side is a bit iffy...

another deal is that no airport collection, need to do it in the city which is a bit troublesome cos u have to pay cab fare to-and-fro ~ around AUD50. not sure if they have an airport service now.

the service is good but insurance side is a bit iffy...

another deal is that no airport collection, need to do it in the city which is a bit troublesome cos u have to pay cab fare to-and-fro ~ around AUD50. not sure if they have an airport service now.

They have one which is 3km away from the AP :)

By the way, some questions about the opening hours of shops where I can get souveniers, local stuffs, arts and crafts, malls, and shopping..

In these WA cities and towns: Perth city, Fremantle, Albany, Margaret River and Busselton.

Thanks! :)

By the way, some questions about the opening hours of shops where I can get souveniers, local stuffs, arts and crafts, malls, and shopping..

In these WA cities and towns: Perth city, Fremantle, Albany, Margaret River and Busselton.

well perth is more R&R, beach, wining and dining rather than any shopping.

there is an area of factory outlets off the city but not my main area of interest. i find shopping to be more ex in aus compared to elsewhere in the world, although ymmv.

the places you really have to go are the wineries, that's basically one of the main attractions (at least for me). hit sandalford wines, the berry farm if you are margaret river. if you don't have the opportunity to go there, swan valley is also excellent.

chill out at the blue duck at cottesloe beach (if you are beach kind of person)

one thing about aus is that it is great for hK food. i was disappointed by food in HK as i consistently found better food in aus. perth is no different. the word is a lot of the HK chefs migrated to aus. jade dynasty for dim sum is excellent. good fortune duck is amongst the best roast duck out there.

don't miss out on chilli mussels as well... can hit funtasticos at subiaco for that. have dinner at the old swan brewery for the ambience if you have the budget for fine dining.

in all, a lot of food and wine for R&R. i never really liked fremantle that much and prefer subiaco for chilling.

Most of the shops will only open at 10am and close around 5pm to 6pm.
If you want to get souvenir from Perth city, try along Hay Street or Murray Street (They are parallel to one another). Late night shopping is available on Friday night. Saturday is like any usual day, 10am to 5pm. Sunday, the shops will either be closed or open late and close really early. Something like 11am to 12pm until 2pm to 3pm.
If you are at Fremantle, there are quite a few souvenir shops too but can check out the Fremantle market.

Envy...
Enjoy yourself there.
Do try out Kaili's Fish and Chips and get the apple strudel.
Not forgetting Japanese food at Matsuri.

I'm skipping Matsuri. They were much better before they moved to QE II. That was like 10+ years back. Hahaha. For Fish & Chips, I've got my own fave outlet.... heehee, but for those who are heading there for the first time, do try out the places that Francis27 has mentioned.

Now for bread lovers, do try New Norcia. There was a local indonesian restaurant that was jammed packed called Sparrows. The nice uncle is no longer there.... food has somewhat changed, so it's not the same anymore. This is in Northbridge, opposite the Mosque.

Let's see ... what else can I remember .... oh well, it will all come back to me when I land there. Woohoo .... back to packing :p

To those who have rented cars from Bayswater, may I ask if their cars come with CD player with MP3 function?

Hee I am leaving in 2 days time, and I am compiling a fairly large collection of music for the road trip :)

I planning to do a photo shoot in Perth area. Will be renting a car to drive around. Anyone can recommend me good places?

shoots I hope to do are:

1) Nature greenary with nice tress and stream/lake etc
2) Wine farm
3) Desert/rocky area with nice sunrise/sunset

Please give me your recommendation. :)

I planning to do a photo shoot in Perth area. Will be renting a car to drive around. Anyone can recommend me good places?

shoots I hope to do are:

2) Wine farm

There are quite a few suggestions, check the first few posts. :)

Kings Park
Margaret River
Pinnacles
Cottesloe
Busselton

There are quite a few suggestions, check the first few posts. :)

Kings Park
Margaret River
Pinnacles
Cottesloe
Busselton

Thanks Francis! We will be shooting with a model so need to check out places before going. :)

Hi guys,

Heard from my gf that duty-free allowance for Australia is A$900.. So that means if I bring my DSLR + lenses there, I might risk having to pay duty and taxes if they check me? She Google searched and found that a lot of people ended up paying for their personal camera, camcorder, etc...

The only way to escape it is to prove that you have used the equipments for more than 12 months by proof of receipt.

It's the first time I'm hearing something so absurd as this. How true is it guys?

Hi guys,

Heard from my gf that duty-free allowance for Australia is A$900.. So that means if I bring my DSLR + lenses there, I might risk having to pay duty and taxes if they check me? She Google searched and found that a lot of people ended up paying for their personal camera, camcorder, etc...

The only way to escape it is to prove that you have used the equipments for more than 12 months by proof of receipt.

It's the first time I'm hearing something so absurd as this. How true is it guys?

Nope, never happened to me so far.

Gotten my gears there for almost all my trips and never got any issues so far.
If not, just gaffer your camera to make it looks used.
Can check this out http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4352

They are more particular about animals and plant products because they are an Agriculture country.

For those who are going to Perth this week. It is still wet and cold ... wild flowers not in bloom yet, so it is still winter at the moment. Spring is taking it's time to come forward.

Bayswater cars come with cd player and mp3 35mm plug. I think this answer may be too late ... sorry.

Hi guys,

I've been in so many times and they've never once asked me for a receipt for my laptop, cameras or any other electronic equipment. I would say that it is only for cases whereby it seems that you maybe selling the items off that they may tax you. eg. plastic wrapping still on the laptop. you have the manuals and boxes with you etc ....

If in doubt, check the customs website for Australia. I'd say rubbish to being taxed just because I've not been for my countless trips to Australia. But, that's just me.

shoots I hope to do are:

2) Wine farm

Some places do require you to pay before you can take photos (model or wedding), so please check the URL for those locations.

In reference to your question:
1) You are better down south .... but long drive, so how far do you want to go? If time is a constraint, then Kings Park will have to do, or any of the smaller parks spotted all around the City.

2) Swan Valley perhaps?

3) Pinnacles should be pretty rocky ... heehee. Sunset will be anywhere along Sunset drive scenic route ....

Hi guys,

I think this is more for importing goods,
like if I go to Singapore, and buy a 1dsmkIII, since it's over $900, I need to pay 10% GST when I bring it back here to Australia.

but if I only bring back a 50mm f/1.8, I don't need to pay GST.

I wouldn't expect travelers visiting Australia to have to pay GST when bringing their personal items over :)

I think this is more for importing goods,
like if I go to Singapore, and buy a 1dsmkIII, since it's over $900, I need to pay 10% GST when I bring it back here to Australia.

but if I only bring back a 50mm f/1.8, I don't need to pay GST.

I wouldn't expect travelers visiting Australia to have to pay GST when bringing their personal items over :)

combined with your family members (if u happened to travel with them) Max: A$2700

http://www.perthairport.com/default.aspx?MenuID=274 :bsmilie:

Going to Perth in 9 hours time... Will be driving to Albany on Sat. Thanks for all your contribution! I will add my piece when I get back! :bsmilie: