Perth and Western Australia

Stevele's suggestion is good also :thumbsup:

I thought of Albany initially but then i reckon I have to decide between Margaret River/Augusta and Albany. Ideally is to travel in a loop, Perth City-Fremantle-Busselton-Margaret River-Augusta-Albany then back.. but it will takes many days.. :bsmilie:

It is also quite tiring to drive such a long distance too unless you don't mind looking for a motel or hotel at each town. Avoid driving in the night. :think:

Btw, some car rental companies have mileage limit I think. Was planning to add some info. Maybe tomorrow or so.

It is also quite tiring to drive such a long distance too unless you don't mind looking for a motel or hotel at each town. Avoid driving in the night. :think:

Btw, some car rental companies have mileage limit I think. Was planning to add some info. Maybe tomorrow or so.

I think I will be renting car from Bayswater, they allow usage within 500km of Perth City http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/areaofuseSydneyAndWA.aspx

I haven't check out the sunset time in August but looks like sunset around 6pm plus.. I think to play safe, I better reach my accommodation by 6pm, it sounds really scary to drive at night :bsmilie::bsmilie:

For those wine lovers, Margaret River has some of the finest boutique wines.

Here's a map of the location of the winerie
http://www.margaret-river-online.com.au/winesnew/index.html

I like the Port from Gralyn.

There are home stays and farms stays along the way.

I used Margaret River as my base to launch visits to Jewel caves near Yallingup, Surfers point near Prevelly, Leeuwin Lighthouse near the bottom of the map

taken Nov 04.

Last edited:
Further south east, you can move on to Karri Forest.

You can stay in the resort, which is very peaceful.

view of the Karri Lake

Other activities, taking a tram ride

Stevele's suggestion is good also

I thought of Albany initially but then i reckon I have to decide between Margaret River/Augusta and Albany. Ideally is to travel in a loop, Perth City-Fremantle-Busselton-Margaret River-Augusta-Albany then back.. but it will takes many days.. :bsmilie:

Hi mystudio,

You have 7 full days so it is fully adequate for you to make a round trip. My family flew up to visit me last year and I spent the 5 days down south. Being just a casual drinker + only person driving, I only spent 2 days in MR... Here was what I did (I stayed next to Kings Park)...

1) Drove straight down to Albany, stayed 2 nights at Middleston Bay Retreat - very nice place & cheap (check the net...) places to visit includes: Edengate Blueberry Farm; Mutton Bird Park; Cosy Corner beach; Albany marron Farm (not so interesting); Albany Wind Farm; Whalehead Rock; The Gap; there is a Light house in Albany; Blowholes (saw whale 50m away from shore - up on the cliff); Stony Hill; Don't forget to visit the Squid Shade for the fish & chip (not bad...)

2) Left ard 10.30am and drove over to Pemperton, on the way visited the Yree of the Giant at Walpole. Stayed for a couple of hours then punched over to Pemperton. Stayed at Hawke Brook Chalets for 1 night - very nice setting among the Karri forest at Warren National Park. It was very cold in the night in September. I also need warn that the GPS doesn't help much there among the tall trees (I was driving round and round for abt 2 hours while finding the accomodation. reached accomodation place ard 6pm...:sweat:

3) Drove over to MR - stayed 2 nights at Peppermint Brook Cottages, room just ok to spend the nights. At MR (Margaret River), die die must visit Augusta amd visit Leeuwin Lighthouse. Nearby, you have the Whaling Memorial that you may want to pay a visit. At the small Augusta town (right hand side if coming out from Leeuwin) look out for a fish & chip shop. it is just slightly opposite a food outlet that's similar to KFC. My opinion is the fish & chip there is so much better than at Fremantle and they are so much cheaper :)thumbsup:must try!!). Driving speed at Augusta is 50kmph:thumbsd: (don't be caught unaware) and parking is FOC...
At MR, there's lots of winery and many do offer free tasting. Along Cave Road, there are few nice caves that are also worth visiting. Also some of the interesting & nicer place to visit at MR are Voyager Estate (winery - very nice place for photo taking :thumbsup:), Cape Lavender; Blackwood Honey Wine; Simmo's Icecreamery (everyone will love it). also must venture to Witchcliff Winery & Marron Farm to buy the marron....

4) departed MR at about 4pm reaching Perth city ard 8pm... All in all, only myself driving with lots of chewing gums.... Should have left few hours early and route to Busselton to see the 'Blue House' nice place to take picture too.....

In Perth (near airport) there's also the Kalamunda National Park that may want to venture to. It's the hill/mountain that you see as you travel into the airport from the city.....

Hi Stevle,

Wow, thanks for all the valuable informations, its definitely very useful :)
I will re-plan my itinerary and try to convince my travel partner :D

Stevle's itinerary is very detail.

Perth Hills (or Kalamunda) is nice to explore. There is also a weir (dam) Mandaring Weir nearby, horse riding into the bushes.

Enjoy your time.

Just some info about taking a cab in Perth.

From Perth International Airport to around Hay Street area is around AUD$35 to AUD$45.
They are not like Singapore, if the meter reads AUD$32.50, it will be better to give them as $35.00.
One time I don't have AUD$5 notes, that guy charge me AUD$40 even though the meter is $32.50. He told me got surcharge and so on. Since my company paying, so I gave him AUD$40.

The distance around Airport to Hay Street is around over 10km.
A rough gauge is if the distance is around 40km, the fare is around AUD$65 to AUD$70 as I have been taking cabs to the suburban area for inspection. Really scary to see the meter. :sweat:

Just wondering, is it currency exchange rate better in Singapore or in Perth itself?

Just wondering, is it currency exchange rate better in Singapore or in Perth itself?

Change your currency in S'pore. Rate here is so much better....

Hello,

Do look out for road trains during your drive. They are like container trucks with 2 trailers.
And to keep a eye out for kangaroos bouncing around after sundown on the roads outside
of urban areas.

Albany has a old Whaling Station which is now a small museum. Its just down the road from
the blow holes. Entrance fee required.

Cheers

Just want to share.... For those who are visiting Perth and are interested in apple strudle, Corica at Northbridge is the shop that one shouldn't miss.... refer http://kokadoodle.blogspot.com/2007/08/corica-apple-strudel.html

On Google Earth it is located at:-
Latitude: 31°56'45.69"S
Longitude: 115°51'29.27"E

Just take the BLUE CAT and stop at Stop 10 (Aberdeen St) or Stop 11 (Francis St) and walk over.

Hi guys,

I am going to Perth and WA on 7th - 16th Sept. Because of the lousy flight time, effectively I only have full day from 8th (Tuesday) to 15th (Tuesday) Sept.

Because it's a self-drive trip, will this works?

8th - 11th Travel from Perth to Albany and back to Perth in normal car
12th - 13th (Sat & Sun) walkabout Perth + Fremantle
14th - 15th (Mon & Tue) Rent a caravan and go North of Perth (Pinnacles Desert) and maybe East which has York town and Wave Rocks.

We will be covering the major attractions along Perth - Albany.. Mainly busselton jetty, Margaret River for wine tasting, Chocolate factory, Yallingup shearing shed, and whale watching at Albany (or anywhere better to recommend? :) ) Possible to squeeze in a few more places for the 4 days road trip?

So Perth and Fremantle will be spent over the weekend, will shops be opened? The reason why I want to shift it in the middle of the trip is because Fremantle Markets open on weekend only..

Lastly, the caravan is just for our experience because we haven't rode in one before. (we can cancel this if 4 days for Perth - Albany is really not enough)..

:)

Last edited: