Pentax Q - review is starting to roll

i am a noobie when it comes to fotography but love to learn it as a hobby... so... i am actually keenly researching on this Q too coz cam is lost and now out to get a new cam and initially i would have just gone with S100 (had the S90) but my heart really wants me to try out a ILC but for my missus size is a factor as she doesnt like to handle any cam that is bigger than the S100, so this Q form factor became a shortlisted candidate and after reading online reviews and also your indepth review, i am very interested. Price is a constant factor of course but this little Q seems to much more fun (not to mention pretty to my missus' eyes) so thanks for your good review and hopefully i can decide soon :)

Pentax Webstore has a Q with the zoom lens or Zoom + Prime or prime only

i am a noobie when it comes to fotography but love to learn it as a hobby... so... i am actually keenly researching on this Q too coz cam is lost and now out to get a new cam and initially i would have just gone with S100 (had the S90) but my heart really wants me to try out a ILC but for my missus size is a factor as she doesnt like to handle any cam that is bigger than the S100, so this Q form factor became a shortlisted candidate and after reading online reviews and also your indepth review, i am very interested. Price is a constant factor of course but this little Q seems to much more fun (not to mention pretty to my missus' eyes) so thanks for your good review and hopefully i can decide soon :)

The Q is certainly unique over all other advanced pns cameras out there.
With the others, they are no more than a duplicate of what their larger brothers the DSLR/MILCs can do, but smaller and smaller sensor too.
But the Q adds to what the enthusiast has w/o that much overlap.

Stuff like battery life, 4sec start up are no big deal.
Even IQ is good enough.
My only real reservation is not so good low light AF (as are many small pns type cameras using CDAF, except some models from CIRCA late 2011-2012), so take note.
IMO, its the only thing that limits it from being a great camera usable by anyone.
Its not that big a deal to me cause an experienced user can work around it (eg. focus on high contrast areas; brighter areas, etc, but laymen probably expect everything to be served up on a silver platter)

Last edited:
Update :
I've finally decided I should put the pen down to conclude and write my thoughts on the Q in the review.
Listed out the pros and cons as well.

Do take a look there if you are interested to find out.
And do leave any comments, queries, photos/samples, user impressions there so that it gets the proper wide audience that I think the camera deserves.

Thx