Pentax K-7, It IS Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't agree with you here. Unless you have personal knowledge of their R&D, what are you basing your statement that its "an improvement they could have given to the users some 2 years ago" on? I think many would see this as how technology progresses.

We will see how the K7 fares against K20D in this area .................. the level of improvement .. how distinct ...:think:

Thanks for the reports, FW!

D700 is in entirely different class, I think. It's full-frame and costs more. I doubt anyone realistically expects Pentax's flagship to even or exceed the big two's top-end cameras in terms of specs. Simply not playing in that niche.

The D300 has the same specs as the D700 except for the sensor crop factor ......... check it out for yourself :)

Hopefully, they can build up some marketshare and recognition thru this model.

We will see how the K7 fares against K20D in this area .................. the level of improvement .. how distinct ...:think:

Agree with you. Is it really revolutionary? Frankly, I don't lust for the HD video mode. I would rather get a separate camcorder for it. No matter what, it's just a convenience.

The D300 has the same specs as the D700 except for the sensor crop factor ......... check it out for yourself :)

Don't doubt that.. but eh, how does D300 come into the discussion? We were talking about the D700, yes?

Don't doubt that.. but eh, how does D300 come into the discussion? We were talking about the D700, yes?

Apple to apple comparison ........... D300 VS K7 ............ dollar for dollar ...... feature for feature ....:think:

Last edited:
although K7 is not meant to be the replacement for K20D, but seems like its more or less similar... so wat are they gonna to do with K30D ? K8 ? pretty much same thing...:dunno:

anyway i'll just wait for K30D... should be something interesting...hehe

Apple to apple comparison ........... D300 VS K7 ............ dollar for dollar ...... feature for feature ....:think:

Ah, makes more sense. Well, I was responding to the chap who was talking about D700 lah.

Have handled a D700 and love the VF, but not touched a D300 before. Except for the sensor, you mean all other specs are the same? I thought stuff like VF and a few tweaks differentiate the two models..

Anyway, a head to head comparsion between k-7 and d300 (including prices), yet to be seen. Am sure the review sites will do that once its officially launched, so wait and see lor.

I think most APS DSLRs have more or less reached saturation level with features for the current generation. There is nothing truly revolutionary we've seen from any of the major manufacturers in the last 1-2 years as far as still photography is concerned. The last big splash was made by the D300 with a pro-level performance from an APS body...since then it's been all evolutionary and in some cases a step backwards in IQ (eg 50D).

With the current feature set, Pentax can finally compete with the 'Big 2' feature for feature (although features like HD video are totally useless to me TBH) and hopefully draw in more customers.

The AF-S low light performance seems to have been improved with the addition of an AF lamp, though to be honest, I never found it to be a deal-breaker. If the AF-C performance of the K-7 is on par with the D300, or atleast better than the 50D, then there is absolutely no reason to even look at the other brands. Pentax can be recommended to new buyers without any reservations:thumbsup:

If the AF-C is not improved, then the upgrade in FPS specs is pretty meaningless...just that you'll get 5+ blurry pics in one sec rather than 3 :bsmilie: so I suspect that the engineers at Pentax did fix the AF-C.

Zenten, who cares if the AF module/algorithms are called or if they are new or old..as long as the system delivers acceptable performance, that's all that matters.;)

Ah, makes more sense. Well, I was responding to the chap who was talking about D700 lah.

Have handled a D700 and love the VF, but not touched a D300 before. Except for the sensor, you mean all other specs are the same? I thought stuff like VF and a few tweaks differentiate the two models..

Anyway, a head to head comparsion between k-7 and d300 (including prices), yet to be seen. Am sure the review sites will do that once its officially launched, so wait and see lor.

D300's VF is 100% whereas D700's only 95% ..... surprised?

I am only looking out for the AFC of the K7 ..... the K20D didn't do very well in this area, especially under artificial lighting ...... the D300 scores top marks in this aspect ........ :)

D300's VF is 100% whereas D700's only 95% ..... surprised?

I am only looking out for the AFC of the K7 ..... the K20D didn't do very well in this area, especially under artificial lighting ...... the D300 scores top marks in this aspect ........ :)

Yeah, I usually play with the D300/700 during the IT shows, and I am amazed by their ability to track moving subjects in the crowd.:eek: K20D has a significant weakness in this area.

But I am taking an optimistic position...if the AF-C has been fixed for the K-7, then Pentax has a KILLER dslr on it's hands.:)

I think most APS DSLRs have more or less reached saturation level with features for the current generation. There is nothing truly revolutionary we've seen from any of the major manufacturers in the last 1-2 years as far as still photography is concerned. The last big splash was made by the D300 with a pro-level performance from an APS body...since then it's been all evolutionary and in some cases a step backwards in IQ (eg 50D).

With the current feature set, Pentax can finally compete with the 'Big 2' feature for feature (although features like HD video are totally useless to me TBH) and hopefully draw in more customers.

The AF-S low light performance seems to have been improved with the addition of an AF lamp, though to be honest, I never found it to be a deal-breaker. If the AF-C performance of the K-7 is on par with the D300, or atleast better than the 50D, then there is absolutely no reason to even look at the other brands. Pentax can be recommended to new buyers without any reservations:thumbsup:

If the AF-C is not improved, then the upgrade in FPS specs is pretty meaningless...just that you'll get 5+ blurry pics in one sec rather than 3 :bsmilie: so I suspect that the engineers at Pentax did fix the AF-C.

Zenten, who cares if the AF module/algorithms are called or if they are new or old..as long as the system delivers acceptable performance, that's all that matters.;)

Bro, spot-on take on the K7's comparison with the other camps' offerings ............ let's hope the AF-C is distinctly better ..... especially under artificial lighting ......... ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.