Pentax Jan Outing - Fort Canning Park Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite sure there was a main umbrella light at camera right to flood the scene, and a bare flash outside of the window as a kicker light (see the red hair girl's hair and shoulder). Climbed up onto a window sill to get the high angle. Not sure what PP was done but doesn't look like anything special to me.

:thumbsup:

Look forward to more new shots from you.

End result

4278994518_b76689114a.jpg

Despite the simplicity of the setup, I can only say your shots have the genius touch. For me, its magical. I hope to get this kind of effect from my own experiments.

strobing can get expensive if u want to add this add that... the stuff i bought probably enough to buy a cheap 2nd strobes like the D-Lite 2...

anyway the best way is the pool together a bunch of guys to do strobing and keep the cost down... well thats itself is another challenge since there is always confict of ideas and to arrange a time where everybody is available plus getting a free model to shoot is always not easy...

Which is why I like to DIY my light modifiers. :bsmilie:

Darn creative differences... I wonder how those paid photoshoots go about with 3-5:1 ratio. :think:

Quite sure there was a main umbrella light at camera right to flood the scene, and a bare flash outside of the window as a kicker light (see the red hair girl's hair and shoulder). Climbed up onto a window sill to get the high angle. Not sure what PP was done but doesn't look like anything special to me.

Sigh, I really miss strobing.. so I picked up an SB28 off ebay last night :bsmilie:

Good job getting even lighting throughout. :thumbsup: And don't those SB's cost a bomb these days? What used to cost around $100 now goes up to $300. That's what kept me off 'em. :sweat:

Good job getting even lighting throughout. :thumbsup: And don't those SB's cost a bomb these days? What used to cost around $100 now goes up to $300. That's what kept me off 'em. :sweat:

The Westcott 28" softbox on the Lighten up and Shoot page is really awesome, no more umbrellas falling over in the wind! Too bad it's like US$110+.. :( I got lucky and snagged a SB28DX for US$90 shipped. :thumbsup:

The Westcott 28" softbox on the Lighten up and Shoot page is really awesome, no more umbrellas falling over in the wind! Too bad it's like US$110+.. :( I got lucky and snagged a SB28DX for US$90 shipped. :thumbsup:

Yes, it's terribly tempting. Especially after seeing their awesome results. :thumbsup: Which is why I'm planning to DIY myself a softbox from an umbrella. I have the materials at hand, just need to reverse engineer it. (and time) Crossing my fingers. :sweat:

Yes, it's terribly tempting. Especially after seeing their awesome results. :thumbsup: Which is why I'm planning to DIY myself a softbox from an umbrella. I have the materials at hand, just need to reverse engineer it. (and time) Crossing my fingers. :sweat:

making softbox is easy... securing it and mounting it is difficult... im done with diy.. simply no time... just buy 1...

making softbox is easy... securing it and mounting it is difficult... im done with diy.. simply no time... just buy 1...

Family man different mah. ;)

I just like tinkering with stuff and doing things the hard way. Must be in the genes I guess. :bsmilie:Although, I think my father has some of his old studio lighting equipment stored in the store somewhere if I can be bothered to dig it up.

Despite the simplicity of the setup, I can only say your shots have the genius touch. For me, its magical. I hope to get this kind of effect from my own experiments.

I'm flattered but I'm no genius. :embrass: Just someone who likes to experiment constantly. So much so that I don't have a defined style. :sweat:

But yeah, experimenting is part of the fun in photography. Always keep an eye out for different approaches. Be Interesting. ;)

Not gibberish, but essence. Good pro tips as far as I am concerned. THANK YOU!!!!!

Certainly no pro, just share what I roughly know. Its the application (fast and intuitive) that I am really struggling with.

Not so bad, right? Just shoot because one day when you shoot too many, you'll start to think about lots of things about composition, presentation, exposures, and subject matter too.

That's when you either go "Ugh!!! Nothing new to take." or "I SUCK!!!". Just stay calm and review your old photos, analyze them - why this is good, why is it not good, how can i take a better photo the next round? Look at other photos for inspiration and see if you can copy the "feel" of your favorite photos.

Ask the other experts here (not only Pentax but also the others). There's always something to learn. I picked up a lot of good tips from night86mare, creampuff, laptoso, baracus and many many others... (sorry can't name all of them because will fill up the whole page)

Lastly, have to be kind and patient with yourself... :bsmilie:

Haha, it took me quite some time to figure out how to post photos on this forum.
Thanks for the great advice and encouragement again.
After i got my k-x last month, i have been looking at the photos posted by other experts and see how i can improve.

Of course, a big Thank You to all who are always so willing to teach and share your knowledge with newbie like me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.