Pentax Jan Outing - Fort Canning Park Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was nice talking to you too. Because of your encouragement, then I 鼓起勇气 to post some of my photos here. Thanks for your advice, i will continue to shoot more and hopefully will improve along the way. :)

Not so bad, right? Just shoot because one day when you shoot too many, you'll start to think about lots of things about composition, presentation, exposures, and subject matter too.

That's when you either go "Ugh!!! Nothing new to take." or "I SUCK!!!". Just stay calm and review your old photos, analyze them - why this is good, why is it not good, how can i take a better photo the next round? Look at other photos for inspiration and see if you can copy the "feel" of your favorite photos.

Ask the other experts here (not only Pentax but also the others). There's always something to learn. I picked up a lot of good tips from night86mare, creampuff, laptoso, baracus and many many others... (sorry can't name all of them because will fill up the whole page)

Lastly, have to be kind and patient with yourself... :bsmilie:

Almost missed out theses last 2...

#12 Gaze
4278247367_6751eb9bdd_o.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the results, but it could be better. Now, all I need is another strobe for added silhouette definition, a softbox, reflector, etc... :devil:

FYI, the shots were taken at 1/800-1/1250s @ f4-5.6, flash output 1/64-1/32. (Still experimenting, so don't take the numbers as a fixed setting)

Really like this series of shots. This #12 is very nice. Like to learn from you, but unclear of the steps. So I need a flash, wireless or use a camera like canon G9 to sync or do I press both at the same time, not sure about this part. What is the ISO speed of your pictures when taken at 1/800 -1/1250? I just got my Pentax K-x and still very new. Thanks for the great shots.

Really like this series of shots. This #12 is very nice. Like to learn from you, but unclear of the steps. So I need a flash, wireless or use a camera like canon G9 to sync or do I press both at the same time, not sure about this part. What is the ISO speed of your pictures when taken at 1/800 -1/1250? I just got my Pentax K-x and still very new. Thanks for the great shots.

I don't think the K-x pop-up flash can act as commander right? Means need one of the P-TTL flashes on the hotshoe to act as commander unit, and one more off-camera as a slave unit.

In that case, you need a radio trigger set, there is the Yongnuo or whatever cheap China ones, all the way up to the high-end Pocket Wizards, Radiopoppers, etc. The trigger part goes on the flash hotshoe on camera, while the receiver part connects to the flash. Then you can use a Nikon SB24/25/26/28/80 or a Vivitar 285HV or any flash that lets you control the manual power.

After that it's all trial and error of the settings. You can read up on strobist.blogspot.com to get a good idea of how things work. The Canon G9 uses an electronic shutter so the sync speed can go very high, like 1/800-1/1250s. Unfortunately, the Pentax uses a real shutter unit with sync speed of 1/180s because any faster and part of the frame will not be exposed to the flash burst. If u set the shutter any faster the camera will just refuse to trigger the flash, unless you are on High-Speed Sync (HSS), which you will not get with the manual strobist method. Unfortunately this means that you need a lot of flash juice to overpower the ambient lighting if it's broad daylight.

You tweak the aperture and ISO settings in conjunction with the flash power setting to illuminate the subject properly with the flash. After that, you play around with the shutter speed (within the 1/180s sync limit) to balance the flash exposure with the ambient. IIRC back when I was more strobisty, in the shade, I usually started with ISO 200 f/5.6 1/180s, flash power 1/8 with either a big bounce card (like Baracus has) or a shoot-through umbrella. Then I adjust the settings from there, like if the ambient is still too bright I need to stop down aperture, lower ISO and turn up flash power, since I'm on the limit of my shutter speed, and so on.

I don't think the K-x pop-up flash can act as commander right? Means need one of the P-TTL flashes on the hotshoe to act as commander unit, and one more off-camera as a slave unit.

In that case, you need a radio trigger set, there is the Yongnuo or whatever cheap China ones, all the way up to the high-end Pocket Wizards, Radiopoppers, etc. The trigger part goes on the flash hotshoe on camera, while the receiver part connects to the flash. Then you can use a Nikon SB24/25/26/28/80 or a Vivitar 285HV or any flash that lets you control the manual power.

After that it's all trial and error of the settings. You can read up on strobist.blogspot.com to get a good idea of how things work. The Canon G9 uses an electronic shutter so the sync speed can go very high, like 1/800-1/1250s. Unfortunately, the Pentax uses a real shutter unit with sync speed of 1/180s because any faster and part of the frame will not be exposed to the flash burst. If u set the shutter any faster the camera will just refuse to trigger the flash, unless you are on High-Speed Sync (HSS), which you will not get with the manual strobist method. Unfortunately this means that you need a lot of flash juice to overpower the ambient lighting if it's broad daylight.

You tweak the aperture and ISO settings in conjunction with the flash power setting to illuminate the subject properly with the flash. After that, you play around with the shutter speed (within the 1/180s sync limit) to balance the flash exposure with the ambient. IIRC back when I was more strobisty, in the shade, I usually started with ISO 200 f/5.6 1/180s, flash power 1/8 with either a big bounce card (like Baracus has) or a shoot-through umbrella. Then I adjust the settings from there, like if the ambient is still too bright I need to stop down aperture, lower ISO and turn up flash power, since I'm on the limit of my shutter speed, and so on.

Thanks so much, so much good info. Just my brain got to slowly digest what you write. I got a Nikon SB600 flash from my previous life in Nikon<G>. I never got into strobing, but after seeing the effect, it kind of resonates something inside, like: this is what I want to achieve next feeling.

I am looking at getting a phottix ph-04 ii wireless trigger set. Is this sufficient to achieve Baracus's shots? If not, should I work with a camera similar to Canon G9 to achieve this since this effect is achievable with 1/800-1/1250? I don't know how a Canon G9 is able to sync with Pentax limit of 1/180. This part probably need some enlightenment from experts like yourself. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, but my brain got to slowly digest what you write. I got a Nikon SB600 flash from my previous life in Nikon<G>. I never got into strobing, but after seeing the effect, it kind of resonates something inside, like: this is what I want to achieve next feeling.

I am looking at getting a phottix ph-04 ii wireless trigger set. Is this sufficient to achieve Baracus's shots? If not, should I work with a camera similar to Canon G9 to achieve this since this effect is achievable with 1/800-1/1250? I don't know how a Canon G9 is able to sync with Pentax limit of 1/180. This part probably need some enlightenment from experts like yourself. Thanks again.

get a wireless trigger set and play with it, u dun need 1/800 to achieve the effect. Just close down the aperture further and max out to 1/180... this effect can also be achieve on PS...

Thanks so much, so much good info. Just my brain got to slowly digest what you write. I got a Nikon SB600 flash from my previous life in Nikon<G>. I never got into strobing, but after seeing the effect, it kind of resonates something inside, like: this is what I want to achieve next feeling.

1/180 works fine just that compared to the G9, because the shutter speed is slower, the aperture must be stopped down and ISO lowered to get the same ambient exposure. that means that the flash power must be turned up to expose the subject properly (since aperture and ISO affect flash exposure but shutter speed does not). that's why my start point is around 1/8 flash power (GN36) while Baracus starts with 1/32 or 1/64 flash power. hope this kinda explains it..:)

very adorable kid, she will surely become your pretty model in the future:cool:

Wow, flowerpot - congrats being father with newly born baby. You will be more busy spending with her but looking forward to see your more photos of her being beautiful little model than many models you took photos last time. :thumbsup:

You don't need a G9 for this effect. As others have said, the G9 has an electronic shutter so it has a higher sync speed.

A Phottix or other China wireless flash trigger would do. Even a flash cable is ok for getting the flash off camera.

Do read up on using off camera flash and manual flash by using a google search. I give some rough guide to playing around with the off camera flash.

1. Shutter speed affects your ambient exposure
2. Aperture affects both flash and ambient exposure.
3. ISO affects both as well
4. Distance affects flash exposure (obviously further is weaker)

Now...
a. You want a dark background (ie. dark ambient). So you could play with 1,2,3.
Assume you use 1/90; f2.8; ISO100; Flash power 1/8 as a starting point.

b. Now take a shot. Check :
# Ambient too bright? - Play with 1,2,3 again.
# Flash exposure too weak - Play with 2,3,4
# Obviously you'd usually leave 3 (ie. ISO) alone to get rid of one problem in the equation.

Go and play play with it and you will get a much better idea of the gibberish I am typing here. :)

You don't need a G9 for this effect. As others have said, the G9 has an electronic shutter so it has a higher sync speed.

A Phottix or other China wireless flash trigger would do. Even a flash cable is ok for getting the flash off camera.

Do read up on using off camera flash and manual flash by using a google search. I give some rough guide to playing around with the off camera flash.

1. Shutter speed affects your ambient exposure
2. Aperture affects both flash and ambient exposure.
3. ISO affects both as well
4. Distance affects flash exposure (obviously further is weaker)

Now...
a. You want a dark background (ie. dark ambient). So you could play with 1,2,3.
Assume you use 1/90; f2.8; ISO100; Flash power 1/8 as a starting point.

b. Now take a shot. Check :
# Ambient too bright? - Play with 1,2,3 again.
# Flash exposure too weak - Play with 2,3,4
# Obviously you'd usually leave 3 (ie. ISO) alone to get rid of one problem in the equation.

Go and play play with it and you will get a much better idea of the gibberish I am typing here. :)

Not gibberish, but essence. Good pro tips as far as I am concerned. THANK YOU!!!!!

Barcacus! I like your portraits~ Very simple set up yet have the effect, you need to tell me how to do this~

I havent been joining the gang for a while cos nowadays busy with dance training (sigh.) and now i see more girls joining the Pentax ranks which is seriously cool!

I havent been bringing my camera out lately, think seriously need to start bringing it around since I moved office to Chinatown ( which will be making a good street photography spot )

Thank you vajrasattva. :)

Since darrrr and pinholecam has helpfully laid out the "rules" of strobing, I don't think I can add further. Plus, they have more strobing experience than me. This was only my second strobing experiment. Kept ISO at 100 and adjusted shutter speed and aperture. (You should check out darrr strobing works. Definitely better than mine) :thumbsup:

I was experimenting with HSS to isolate my subjects from messy backgrounds and get the mysterious vibe. HSS also helps when photographing in bright sunlight unlike using a 1/180 sync. (Canikon can go up to 1/250) The latter is best for capturing the subject in ambient lighting. (In the shade, preferably)

4261912428_334719bf0c.jpg

So yeah, it's basically electronic vs mechanical shutter limitations. (I think you can do HSS with a P-TTL flash, but I'm too poor to afford one) :bsmilie: There are lots of reading materials to learn strobing, but these guys are mostly the reason why I'm loving it. :)

Barcacus! I like your portraits~ Very simple set up yet have the effect, you need to tell me how to do this~

I havent been joining the gang for a while cos nowadays busy with dance training (sigh.) and now i see more girls joining the Pentax ranks which is seriously cool!

I havent been bringing my camera out lately, think seriously need to start bringing it around since I moved office to Chinatown ( which will be making a good street photography spot )

Thank you fliplock. :)

Like this? vv :bsmilie:

Baracus is really very creative:thumbsup:

IMGP3121.jpg

End result

4278994518_b76689114a.jpg

Well, I had to clone out a few things here and there and increase the blacks.

I ran into some problems with the China triggers in terms of design, reliability and durability, so I gave up on strobing some time ago. I hear that my college paper & photo club have a lighting kit (studio strobes, Pocket Wizards, the whole lot) so I might check that out and some day I might invest in a proper strobist set-up: Nikon SBs, Cybersyncs, lightstands, light modifiers, etc. Baracus, your shots and the Lighten Up and Shoot Backpacker's Studio are really getting my re-inspired to strobe!!!

Anyway, since Baracus suggested, I'll share a couple of really old shots. This might not be the best place to put these pictures but I don't think I'll go create a thread in P&P just for them. (I think I shared them in the now-defunct Pentax photo sharing threads) Hope nobody minds!

Hand-held with a big bounce card, something like what Baracus used at the outing. I think the light it gives is way too harsh for my liking though.
IMGP2666.jpg

Shoot-through umbrella on light stand. Used to shoot a bit of cosplay, free models!!
IMGP0186.jpg

IMGP8225.jpg

Lambency diffuser on light stand. "Fashion" shoot with some wealthy friends of mine!
IMGP3123.jpg

strobing can get expensive if u want to add this add that... the stuff i bought probably enough to buy a cheap 2nd strobes like the D-Lite 2... :confused:

anyway the best way is the pool together a bunch of guys to do strobing and keep the cost down... well thats itself is another challenge since there is always confict of ideas and to arrange a time where everybody is available plus getting a free model is shoot is always not easy...

anyway wait for my baby girl to grow by the day then i will flash her till she see stars... :bsmilie:

strobing can get expensive if u want to add this add that... the stuff i bought probably enough to buy a cheap 2nd strobes like the D-Lite 2... :confused:

anyway the best way is the pool together a bunch of guys to do strobing and keep the cost down... well thats itself is another challenge since there is always confict of ideas and to arrange a time where everybody is available plus getting a free model is shoot is always not easy...

anyway wait for my baby girl to grow by the day then i will flash her till she see stars... :bsmilie:

Strobe your kids like Jason Lee

http://kristinandkayla.blogspot.com/

haha now i see the set up, Baracus.. very simple indeed.

The photos in this thread are pretty great, I need to catch up to you guys soon!

Hey Darren
I like this one...very nice effect. Care to share how you took the shot, what effects you used in post processing? :)

Thanks! I cannot really remember with certainty, since it was in around Jan 09.

Quite sure there was a main umbrella light at camera right to flood the scene, and a bare flash outside of the window as a kicker light (see the red hair girl's hair and shoulder). Climbed up onto a window sill to get the high angle. Not sure what PP was done but doesn't look like anything special to me.

Sigh, I really miss strobing.. so I picked up an SB28 off ebay last night :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.