Pentax DA*55/1.4 DA*60-250/4 and DA17-70/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
. If you need a wider FOV, the existing FA 35mm or the new DA 35mm Macro might be just the thing.

I would prefer it has a wide aperture of f/1.4 or minimum 1.7 though....:)

I already have the Sigma 30 f/1.4....;) but if "conversion" is not drastic, of course I will change to Pentax 30 f/1.4 if there is such a lens but I am thinking to shorten development time, Pentax would probably rebadge a sigma 30 f/1.4 with some fine tuning like they did with the 18-250....

Pentax never rebadged any lens from Sigma or anyone else except from Tamron :)

Your Sigma 30/1.4 is already a wonderful lens, just use it well and be happy with it. I might've got one myself if Pentax didn't have the FA31/1.8 :)

Pentax never rebadged any lens from Sigma or anyone else except from Tamron :)

Your Sigma 30/1.4 is already a wonderful lens, just use it well and be happy with it. I might've got one myself if Pentax didn't have the FA31/1.8 :)

haha...as can be seen from my purchase of the pentax 18-250, I like my lens to have the words "pentax" on it :bsmilie:
But seriously, with the successful experiment of the 18-250, I would not be surprised that Pentax introduce more rebadged lenses for their low end range to enable a quick growth of their lens range; the differentiating factor being it will have SMC and be tuned by Pentax.
This will allow for focus for their development team on their higher end lenses.

haha...as can be seen from my purchase of the pentax 18-250, I like my lens to have the words "pentax" on it :bsmilie:
But seriously, with the successful experiment of the 18-250, I would not be surprised that Pentax introduce more rebadged lenses for their low end range to enable a quick growth of their lens range; the differentiating factor being it will have SMC and be tuned by Pentax.
This will allow for focus for their development team on their higher end lenses.

To me the 18-250mm superzoom was a stop gap measure to introduce a lens that was needed to meet the year end 2007 holiday shopping season as the lenses in their line-up were not ready for release until this year. It was easier and quicker to work with Tamron than to go it alone. Yes it is a good design but I think this might be a one-off and I feel that Pentax might not be re-badging more lenses down the road.

On your previous post, Pentax do have collaborative relationships with Tokina and Tamron. As to Sigma, according to my Jap client, he tells me that it is unlikely that there will be any collaboration possibly due to business interests. Moreover according to him, it is thought that Pentax/Hoya might has some shareholding interests in Tokina and Tamron.

creampuff since you got insider info, is it true Pentax's R&D dept having quite a bit of internal problems thus the delay of quite a few lenses like the 60-250mm? I just trying to verify how true my own info is...

creampuff since you got insider info, is it true Pentax's R&D dept having quite a bit of internal problems thus the delay of quite a few lenses like the 60-250mm? I just trying to verify how true my own info is...

No, it's not because of any internal problem, but the difficulty of design and development of this lens. It's not easy to make a lens w/ 4x plus zoom range and also excellent optical performance. For a 3x or less zoom range lens, it's easier.

Don't worry, the lens will be here, just abit delayed :)

No, it's not because of any internal problem, but the difficulty of design and development of this lens. It's not easy to make a lens w/ 4x plus zoom range and also excellent optical performance. For a 3x or less zoom range lens, it's easier.

Don't worry, the lens will be here, just abit delayed :)

I wasn't referring to the lens internal designs. Was told that it was due to some internal office politics in the R&D department. How true that is I am not sure, but my source so far very reliable.

I wasn't referring to the lens internal designs. Was told that it was due to some internal office politics in the R&D department. How true that is I am not sure, but my source so far very reliable.

Whatever it is, the lens will be here for sure :) Just a matter of time ...

Whatever it is, the lens will be here for sure :) Just a matter of time ...

Yeah... Just that I hate office politics man. Even at AMD it's causing them some problems and it's delaying a lot of their stuff BECAUSE of such politics....:dunno:

Vulpix0r, I don't personally have the inside info. My info is from long standing Jap client. He is a long time photo enthusiast and artist who has just recently retired from his business. Now he teaches photography and does consultancy work and travel.

I think whatever delay in the product roll-out isn't about politics but business related. You will have noticed that unlike film cameras of old, the life cycle before a new camera is launched is getting shorter. Most certainly this is because of improvements in sensor technology and the need to match what competitors are churning out.

In the case of the lens roadmap, I would suggest that it isn't entirely clear if Pentax might forever stick with APS-C sized sensors when the advent of a larger FF sensor is within reach. Obviously this has a bearing on lens development. If FF is in the horizon, then at some point Pentax may need to redesign/plan for their lenses already in the pipeline to be FF compatible in terms of image circle coverage and compatibility. I would think this could possibly add to the delay.

Can we know if the DA* 55/1.4 is for 2008 or 2009 ?
I don't know if I wait or if I buy the Voigtlander 58/1.4 (yes I know manual focus) :(

Can we know if the DA* 55/1.4 is for 2008 or 2009 ?
I don't know if I wait or if I buy the Voigtlander 58/1.4 (yes I know manual focus) :(

Don't think the DA*55 will be available this year. On the road map it says: marketing date to be announced later

I want smc PENTAX-DA*60-250mm F4ED [IF]SDM...

DA* 24/1.4, 85/1.4 and 135/1.8 for me :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.