Panasonic LX100 preview and review

scratching my head now ..... trying to figure out how to use Stop Motion Animation feature

the Time Lapse feature seems straght forward enough

OK the Panorama feature took some time finding on the LX100 .... its found hidden in the Drive Mode section (3 O' Clock button on the dial)

In the Drive Mode is also an interesting Aspect Bracket..... unusual and interesting. Set it to this and the camera creates automatically the 4 different Aspect Ratios .... 1:1, 3:2, 16:9 and 4:3

Stop Motion Animation found here
aa_stop_motion_animation.jpg

Panorama function found here.... you can choose to panorama LEFT to RIGHT ...RIGHT to LEFT...BOTTOM to TOP... or...TOP to DOWN
aa_panoramic_icon.jpg

And very new to me and so interesting.... Aspect Ratio bracketing !!
aa_aspect_bracket.jpg

Last edited:
Panorama and Aspect Ratio Bracketing demo together with its High Burst rate .... that buffer is mighty big given the number of jpegs fired off (jpeg settings at L Picture Size and Highest resolution) (turn up your speaker volume to hear it firing)
[video=youtube_share;76nFDUraQRs]http://youtu.be/76nFDUraQRs[/video]

Last edited:
scratching my head now ..... trying to figure out how to use Stop Motion Animation feature

If I'm not wrong, this feature first debuted on the G6, then all subsequent models (GX7, GM1, GH4) have it.

Aspect ratio bracketing sounds nice... wonder if they'll be able to bring it to the GH3 in a firmware update...

OK just a few good-to-know things when shooting video
In the SD card,
MP4 files are stored in PRIVATE->AVCHD->BDMW->STREAM
While 4K videos are stored with the rest of the JPEGS including images pulled out of 4K videos
4K video upload onto Youtube is painfully slow vs same scene shot in other formats
[video=youtube_share;s0lIZ9gQe34]http://youtu.be/s0lIZ9gQe34[/video]

Files pulled out of 4k vid are between 3.2 to 3.8mb (NOT mp)
aaa_watch1.jpg

aaa_watch2.jpg

Last edited:
Shot this clip in Toy Pop mode (not 4K) . Go to FILTERS button, choose art filter and then just shoot regular video or 4K video

[video=youtube_share;10fKp5kX5_8]http://youtu.be/10fKp5kX5_8[/video]

another perspective shot in Toy Pop mode (not 4K)
[video=youtube;snaQGOqEs9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snaQGOqEs9Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Other image extracted from 4K and HD videos

extracted from 4K clip
aaa_bus.jpg

extracted from regular HD
aaa_escalator1.jpg

The difference is quite telling

Last edited:
Shot at Little India around its back streets tonight
at AWB and kicked up the ISO to 1600 and mostly in art filter mode (Dynamic Monochrome)

These few were shot in regular color..... the AWB algorithm is managing the ghastly street lamposts' light very decently ...... NO wb tweaking on my part

a_night_veg_stall.jpg

a_night_electrician_sitting_reading.jpg

a_man_on_motorbike.jpg

Turned on the Dynamic Monochrome art filter for the rest of the time there and picked up these images as a result

I must say, the LX100 stabilization worked like a charm and life-saver
All images shot in lowest resolution without any touch-ups except a litle top/bottom cropping

a_night_2_men_drinking.jpg

a_night_bar.jpg

a_night_bar_cashier.jpg

Tried the Panorama mode too ..... it works in art filter mode too (Dynamic Monochrome in this case)
The stitching algorithm makes it look seamless and bestows images with a fish-eye effect

a_night_pano1.jpg

a_night_pano2.jpg

below without panorama

a_night_shadow_at_door.jpg

Mr Selvam posing for me
a_night_on_the_phone.jpg

a_night_2_men_walking_past.jpg

very low light situation and absolutely saved by the image stabilization
a_man_sitting_down.jpg

Those are some amazing pictures indeed. I want the camera now :)

Kandinsky has been passed the LX100 and he will continue the review with his set of images and opinions

Overall conclusion from me?
- I love the large sensor and resolution
- 4k video is super fun and images extracted from 4k are useable although dont expect huge file sizes
- well built and solid camera
- Wonderful set of Art Filters and FIlters button
- WIFI connectivity is quick and the smartphone app is totally loaded with loads of remote functionality
- buffering is very good in high quality JPEG mode .... just goes on and on and on....
- 4 variants of Monochrome plus 1 Sepia within the art filters .... and you look at the scene in monochrome too... a B&W shooter could not be happier

- ONE WARNING.... DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH THE lens ring.... the aperture ring is not locked down independently and I accidentally popped it out when i removed the lens ring to install the pop out lens protector.... scary.... but managed put it back without problem. So just be REAL careful when removing that lens ring when u replace it with the pop out lens cover (if u buy it)

Last edited:
camera's now with Kandinsky for further review

Already passed back to lp yesterday at the mini hands-on session. :cry:

Uncle Ed and Uncle Kandinsky, any idea on what the retail price will be? :bsmilie:

a very tempting camera indeed

Uncle Ed and Uncle Kandinsky, any idea on what the retail price will be? :bsmilie:

a very tempting camera indeed

Wah, how come we suddenly become Uncle :bsmilie:

Can kinda roughly guess based on US and JPN launch prices, and comparing the difference with the Leica D-LUX (Typ 109).

LX100
US: US$899 (approx S$1150)
Japan: ¥100,110 (approx S$1180)

Leica D-LUX (Typ 109)
Local: S$1700
US: US$1195 (approx S$1525)
Price difference with the LX100: US$296 (approx S$380)

Wah, how come we suddenly become Uncle :bsmilie:

Can kinda roughly guess based on US and JPN launch prices, and comparing the difference with the Leica D-LUX (Typ 109).

LX100
US: US$899 (approx S$1150)
Japan: ¥100,110 (approx S$1180)

Leica D-LUX (Typ 109)
Local: S$1700
US: US$1195 (approx S$1525)
Price difference with the LX100: US$296 (approx S$380)

that's because i'm probably way younger than the both of you :bsmilie:

wow that's pretty steep. guess i need to save up now.