Panasonic GH6

Pitachu

Sep 18, 2019
Finally, a M43 Camera with increased resolution to 25 megapixel (based on leaked specs before the launch).

From the specs, this looks like a Camera for Videographers as it seems to be packed with video features for professionals.
eg. Anamorphic desqueeze display, LUT view assist etc.

The weight is a huge concern though 739g without batt and 823 with batt.

My pre-launch thoughts:
I travel and trek quite a fair bit, and even though I shoot quite a lot of videos,
I don't think I need the professional features, high 5.7k frame rate etc.
What is on the OM1 is good enough for me :)

What are your thoughts?

For those of you who wonder why Panasonic still dont use phase detect for Autofocus and what is the niche Panasonic is targeting and how it intends to woo even Canon, Sony and Nikon mirrorless users who take professional videos.....
here is a good video that sums up everything

See this.

The few points raised:
1) 8K Video - I am sure Panasonic will put that in once there is a 8k sensor available
2) Not matching memory slots (yes, that is a bummer)
3) DFD Focus - It's a bummer but Panasonic has explained why

To me, I think Panasonic is trying to keep the price within US$2200 in order not to position itself against the higher FF video SLRs.

Till today, I still don't understand why one cannot use a dedicated video camera for video? Still cameras are for stills.

Off hand I can think of the following reasons:
1) Dedicated video cameras that allow interchangeable lens are much more costly
2) Videographers want to use the lenses they have already invested in
3) Portability - SLRs for videos are usually much smaller
4) For most photographers video is only 10 to 20% of our shoots, so it only make sense to have a build in video function whenever I need it instead of carrying another equipment

Till today, I still don't understand why one cannot use a dedicated video camera for video? Still cameras are for stills.

Valid points. But somehow, I don't agree. If I hire someone to do a commercial video shoot, I would expect the person to be using a video camera and not a still camera. Anyway, it just my opinion.

I think the trend started because previously video cameras with large sensors were priced in the 10’s to 100’s of thousands and out of reach to budding videographers, but then DSLRs for stills with large sensors could suddenly do video. So the shallow dof look suddenly became accessible to a far wider audience with limited budgets.
So it spawned an industry of indie film makers and wedding videographers who didn’t have the big budgets but had the creativity and now access to the looks they were after.
As to why hybrid stills/video models? Well today mirrorless tech makes the two difficult to separate. So the same development can support multiple models geared for different uses or one model for many uses as companies tries to reduce their SKU’s.
The bigger budget commercial shooters are likely still using dedicated video cameras as their main cameras but a lot use advanced hybrids like the GH series for their B-roll or lighter weight rigging to eg. moving vehicles, drones etc.

Valid points. But somehow, I don't agree. If I hire someone to do a commercial video shoot, I would expect the person to be using a video camera and not a still camera. Anyway, it just my opinion.
You would have hired the photographer based on the work that you have already seen. Then why comment on the gear when you're already happy with what you see in the portfolio? The gear exist to make life easier for the photographer, not to make one look more pro to the client unless the photographer want to appeal to those clients.

Last edited:
Because then you won't need to have two cameras.

There are creators who use dedicated gear but ultimately it really comes down to the features, lens system, that's required for the jobs.