Paddler returns to China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Singapore recruit atheletes, make them citizen, pay them relatively well, so that they can represent Singapore and win a few medels. Singapore feels proud. After delivering medels and pride to Singapore, is the "contract" between this athelete and Singapore effectively over? Should this athelete feel she has to stay in Singapore for ever? the question lies at is 4 golds in the Commonwealth Game and SEA Games, and a quarter final placement in the Olympics sufficient payback for the monies she was paid?

A bit OT here. There are lots of complaint about FT in this and many other threads. What is the million +/- FT, from senior level executives to the laborer (including all the domestic maids) suddently feels the hostility here in Singapore and decide to leave? What do you think will happen to Singapore? Anyone gave that any thoughts?

Singapore recruit atheletes, make them citizen, pay them relatively well, so that they can represent Singapore and win a few medels. Singapore feels proud. After delivering medels and pride to Singapore, is the "contract" between this athelete and Singapore effectively over? Should this athelete feel she has to stay in Singapore for ever? the question lies at is 4 golds in the Commonwealth Game and SEA Games, and a quarter final placement in the Olympics sufficient payback for the monies she was paid?

A bit OT here. There are lots of complaint about FT in this and many other threads. What is the million +/- FT, from senior level executives to the laborer (including all the domestic maids) suddently feels the hostility here in Singapore and decide to leave? What do you think will happen to Singapore? Anyone gave that any thoughts?

i shared the same thoughts as DP. The world is now a globalised world, talents and skills moved across borders. Imagine if a locally born footballer receives an contract offer from Man Utd or Arsenal ? do u think he will not seize the opportunity to upgrade himself ? :think:

How about stripping all national borders and passports, unite all mankind and create a single citizenship with a single common governing body like that of the United Nations? :think: That way, resentment against 'foreigners' and 'foreign talent' would end there and then. :think:

I guess that's what most people want....

i think pulling the FT problem into the discussion is rather far fetched.

the so-called FT problem arises when FTs are advantaged over locals when both can perform the same job. if you want to talk about FTs feeling threatened, well i think that's a lesser problem compared to locals losing confidence.

over here is a case where there is no local capable of performing that job.

the real problem here is whether medals are all the authorities see when attracting foreign sportsmen and sportswomen. afterall the true spirit of sports lies in participation, when no one participates, there's no competition. we can send the best performing Singaporean to an Olympics game and not even have a chance passing through the heats, but can the people feel proud of the performance of a local athelete who do not yield medals? if the maturity level of the people is there, we will not need foreign sports people. i'm afraid that's more than difficult, look at how the soccer clubs in Europe buy and sell players and you'll know why. it's not just in Singapore that such things happen.

i think pulling the FT problem into the discussion is rather far fetched.

the so-called FT problem arises when FTs are advantaged over locals when both can perform the same job. if you want to talk about FTs feeling threatened, well i think that's a lesser problem compared to locals losing confidence.

over here is a case where there is no local capable of performing that job.

the real problem here is whether medals are all the authorities see when attracting foreign sportsmen and sportswomen. afterall the true spirit of sports lies in participation, when no one participates, there's no competition. we can send the best performing Singaporean to an Olympics game and not even have a chance passing through the heats, but can the people feel proud of the performance of a local athelete who do not yield medals? if the maturity level of the people is there, we will not need foreign sports people. i'm afraid that's more than difficult, look at how the soccer clubs in Europe buy and sell players and you'll know why. it's not just in Singapore that such things happen.
The point is not simply abt participation. Look at it from a typical no-sports-knowledge Singaporean POV if a sportsman were to just participate and lose:

"Aiyoh! Send for what?! See lah, sia sway us only. Go so far away to compete, come back no medals. Make us lao kui* (or 'lose face')."

Where things like these are concerned, most people around would still not have confidence in our local sportsman. Generally, people would want a 'sure win, guarantee win. After all we spent money!'.

The mentality of facing loss and going with a mentality to lose AND LOSE BRAVELY (which is the spirit of sportsmanship), isn't well accepted around, not only amongst older Singaporeans, but also the younger population as well!

Ask around in ur office or class, even amongst some of the younger countrymen, the prospect of losing itself is already unimaginable. The prospect of a SURE LOSE (even if one were to face the loss bravely) is one that would entails a tragedy.

For example: If one were to bring up the Battle of Iwo Jima, Battle of Okinawa which the Japanese faced a 120% chance of losing on hindsight. Most young people who're studying just facts, would simply say, "Wah lao, u look at facts? 10 Americans vs 1 Japanese. How to win?! Sure lose one. Might as well surrender, so stupid go and kill themselves and commit suicide dunno for what...."

If people dismissed the mentality as 'old world' and embrace so-called 'new world mentality' of not trying and to give one's best effort in losing, this country's going to the pots.

The point is not simply abt participation. Look at it from a typical no-sports-knowledge Singaporean POV if a sportsman were to just participate and lose:

"Aiyoh! Send for what?! See lah, sia sway us only. Go so far away to compete, come back no medals. Make us lao kui* (or 'lose face')."

Where things like these are concerned, most people around would still not have confidence in our local sportsman. Generally, people would want a 'sure win, guarantee win. After all we spent money!'.

The mentality of facing loss and going with a mentality to lose AND LOSE BRAVELY (which is the spirit of sportsmanship), isn't well accepted around, not only amongst older Singaporeans, but also the younger population as well!

Ask around in ur office or class, even amongst some of the younger countrymen, the prospect of losing itself is already unimaginable. The prospect of a SURE LOSE (even if one were to face the loss bravely) is one that would entails a tragedy.

exactly!

but is this only a Singaporean problem? why does Real Madrid need to 'buy in' Beckham? this kiasu mentality isn't limited to just Singaporeans, it happens everywhere, just that it's been hyped up here, in other places, it just seem so natural to behave in a kiasu manner :angel:

exactly!

but is this only a Singaporean problem? why does Real Madrid need to 'buy in' Beckham? this kiasu mentality isn't limited to just Singaporeans, it happens everywhere, just that it's been hyped up here, in other places, it just seem so natural to behave in a kiasu manner :angel:

European football is perhaps the most "globalized". After nurturing Beckham, did Man U bitched about Beckham leaving? Some people did, most just shrug and move on. need to look for other players to buy.

Beckham did help Man U win some titles and trophys, so he did yeild dividends. Not so for Real Madrid.

Back on topic, and it's something many had brought up in this thread, is there a locally groomed table tennis player who is capable of a quarter final appearence in the Olympic, and 4 golds in the Commonwealth and SEA Games? I think the answer is apparent. Then I say, debt paid in full, no obligation to stay.

I remember I knew a friend from Hong Kong who was at the Montreal Olympic. She was so happy and everyone (friends and family) was proud of her, she swam in 2 events, both personal bests, but of course she did not advance. That is the spirit of sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.