Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, explain "one dimensional". I dun get the analogy.

Secondly, are you sure you know what EXACTLY the thoughts of these people are? Can you mindread them and conclude so conclusively that they are "one dimensional"?

Thirdly, the examples you gave fall under these catergories:

1. Increased accessibilty of infomation (all sorts, not only buses).
Revenue gain by showing advertisments. Tell you, that part really provides hefty revenues.

2. Charity drive. Same reasoning for celebs spending time to practise for charity shows. Same for marathons, walkatons. Same for Brand's "Donating Brand's Caps" donation drive. Try not to be too much of a ultilitarian. sometimes, the thoughts counts, even if the action is miniscule.

3. well..........heh heh. what can i say? propoganda? :bsmilie: i dunno the real motive for the article. anyway, dun speculate this one. big bro's watching.:what: :bsmilie:

Allow me to put up three cases for discussion.

Bus commuters to get real time travel info.
So what are values here? Is it going to cut down the waiting time or traveling time for the commuters? Is the information useful at all when it tells you the next arrival time is 30mins. Still LL have to wait. Will you be happier with this information when you know it is not going to be free information after all?

NTUC will donate 30cents for every paper heart collected. Target $300,000.
Getting people to fold paper heart is itself wasting resources. Who is paying for the paper, collecting and counting the 300,000 hearts? At the end, what can the 300,000 paper heart do for charity? I think it is more meaningful to support local products, say NTUC will donate 30cents for each local product bought by you. I think the $300,000 is just the marketing budget for their super mart in Ang Mo Kio.

NS cycle over? Some opt to bear arms longer.
About 360 have gone beyond call of duty by serving past 20- year training cycle.
I am wondering how many 84 and MG gunners opt to bear arms longer.
Out of these 360 soldiers, how many of them are key personnel and what their annual NS allowances are. I hear it is 5k for a NS Major and more for Lt Col. Attend in Camp, march your battalion up and down for two weeks and you get 5k on top of your civilian pay plus NS tax relief. If I am a Major and above, I will definitely opt to bear the arm chair longer.

so much angst :sweat:

i think real time travel info is great. they have it here in japan, it's a really simple system, and really useful, especially if you have more than 1 route to choose from. psychologically it reduces frustration coming from not knowing when the bus will arrive.

what's wrong with the folding heart campaign? i find it quite meaningful, i think parents should make good use of this opportunity to inculcate some sense of generosity in kids. no one's pointing a gun at you to fold a paper heart anyway.

as for the NS thing, like you said, some things are meant for the media. do you want our media to make sarcastic remarks about our army so that our neighbours can make fun of our defence?

think about it, don't just get angry and frustrated over anything and everything that doesn't please your tastebud.

:nono: Waiting time for bus and trains are very different. Trains do arrive at constant intervals (every few minutes a train would be arriving at the station), whereas for buses, you do not know when the bus will come. I've experienced waiting for a bus for 40 minutes and the bus is still not at the bus stop. Can you imagine the crowd when the bus arrives? With an increase in the fleet, there could be 1 or 2 buses in between the 40 minutes to help serve the commuters first. This will definitely sooth the commuters waiting for that particular bus. (The bus that i'm taking is always very, very crowded. There were so many occasions where the passengers had to stand on the steps of the front door and many couldn't even get on the bus. It's worst when it's during weekends, PH or special events as this bus plys thru Orchard Road & Chinatown.) I've written in to the bus service provider before and after my second reply via email, they totally disregard my email and refuse to reply me. :thumbsd: :angry:

More the reason why you shouldn't have to know about train times and should get to know bus times ;p

And you should see the buses in India to understand crowding he he;)

More the reason why you shouldn't have to know about train times and should get to know bus times ;p

Still feel that increasing the frequency will solve the problem rather than installing the sign board which will not help to improve the situation much. Anyway just my 2 cents worth. Hoping that i can get a car soon and I will not have this problem anymore. :)

I am quite ok with the bus thing. It is meant to inform you about the waiting time. Which makes it easier for you to take a decision on hailing alternate mode of travel incase you don't want to wait. Or do some multi tasking while waiting for bus.

Now you would say that the monitors in MRT stations telling you when the train is coming are also waste of money and that the gahmen should just release more trains ;p

I personally find that it is just a feel good factor and that's about it. The Peak hours congestion will still remain as a problem. Like Maddysk mentioned, during peak hours the sign tells you that your bus will arrive in 20mins. You have decided to wait, the bus came after 20mins but you start to curse because the bus is jam packed and you could not board. Will you be happy by now? When you get onto the next arriving bus, you are packed like sardines. So does the travel info help you here?

If given a choice, I will want more trains on the tracks. The time board will be totally useless, if I know for sure a train will arrive at two minutes interval.

Allow me to put up three cases for discussion.

Bus commuters to get real time travel info.
So what are values here? Is it going to cut down the waiting time or traveling time for the commuters? Is the information useful at all when it tells you the next arrival time is 30mins. Still LL have to wait. Will you be happier with this information when you know it is not going to be free information after all?

NTUC will donate 30cents for every paper heart collected. Target $300,000.
Getting people to fold paper heart is itself wasting resources. Who is paying for the paper, collecting and counting the 300,000 hearts? At the end, what can the 300,000 paper heart do for charity? I think it is more meaningful to support local products, say NTUC will donate 30cents for each local product bought by you. I think the $300,000 is just the marketing budget for their super mart in Ang Mo Kio.

NS cycle over? Some opt to bear arms longer.
About 360 have gone beyond call of duty by serving past 20- year training cycle.
I am wondering how many 84 and MG gunners opt to bear arms longer.
Out of these 360 soldiers, how many of them are key personnel and what their annual NS allowances are. I hear it is 5k for a NS Major and more for Lt Col. Attend in Camp, march your battalion up and down for two weeks and you get 5k on top of your civilian pay plus NS tax relief. If I am a Major and above, I will definitely opt to bear the arm chair longer.
why not you join the press, be a reporter and write reports that are not one-dimensional?

That's the problem, we boast to be the best in the world, but always like to compare with the third world to make us look better.

If you compare HK's system with ours, you will know where we stand in the world class standard. I heard in HK, When you train arrive, a connecting train will always be waiting for you. Is it true? :)

If you compare HK's system with ours, you will know where we stand in the world class standard. I heard in HK, When you train arrive, a connecting train will always be waiting for you. Is it true? :)

don't think so. it's just that the frequency is higher than SG, the odds of a connecting train waiting will be higher.

so much angst :sweat:

think about it, don't just get angry and frustrated over anything and everything that doesn't please your tastebud.

Actually I am ok with it. But it really piss me off when I see how our youngters carry themselves while overseas. They like to boast about singapore success, what they have in Singapore are the best and most advance. Are these the results of our press media?
Check with our dear neighbour in the north, they will tell how arrogant singaporeans are.
Aks the ang moh, they will tell you we lack critical thinking and insight, everything law by law.
I was in Thailand last month, do you know how sad it is to tell a Taxi driver I am a Malaysian when he asked for my nationality.:eek:

I've been to HK a few times and the trains were my main means of transportation. At no time at all(including peak hours) was I being squashed like the 6pm crowd in Singapore.

don't think so. it's just that the frequency is higher than SG, the odds of a connecting train waiting will be higher.

1 min per train?

Actually I am ok with it. But it really piss me off when I see how our youngters carry themselves while overseas. They like to boast about singapore success, what they have in Singapore are the best and most advance. Are these the results of our press media?
Check with our dear neighbour in the north, they will tell how arrogant singaporeans are.
Aks the ang moh, they will tell you we lack critical thinking and insight, everything law by law.
I was in Thailand last month, do you know how sad it is to tell a Taxi driver I am a Malaysian when he asked for my nationality.:eek:

last i remember you aren't very old yourself, so you probably can understand it's more a problem of exposure, upbringing and humility. there's no need to be ashame with what we've achieved as a country, but there's no need to boast it. no country is perfect, every place has its problems. and yes singapore has lots of problems unsolved. but i don't think running away from your identity as a singaporean is going to help much, you might have been overly sensitive.

last i remember you aren't very old yourself, so you probably can understand it's more a problem of exposure, upbringing and humility. there's no need to be ashame with what we've achieved as a country, but there's no need to boast it. no country is perfect, every place has its problems. and yes singapore has lots of problems unsolved. but i don't think running away from your identity as a singaporean is going to help much, you might have been overly sensitive.

No...am not running away.
But that Taxi driver was very agitated, he said he want to kill Thaksin with his pistol. I can't probaly tell him I am a Singporean at that time.:sweat:

No...am not running away.
But that Taxi driver was very agitated, he said he want to kill Thaksin with his pistol. I can't probaly tell him I am a Singporean at that time.:sweat:

well, that has nothing to do with young singaporean kids running around thailand boasting about singapore right? :bsmilie: yah there's always more than 2 faces to anything

i heard high ranking NS-officers got no incentive to pass IPPT.. cos RT will be paid and it will get them more than what IPPT Gold can offer. :bsmilie: so why pass?

:bsmilie: Its true ! Btw, no need to be officers. Sgt powerful enuff already.

I RT really get more than i get gold. :thumbsup:

:bsmilie: Its true ! Btw, no need to be officers. Sgt powerful enuff already.

I RT really get more than i get gold. :thumbsup:

you people huh, very clever leh. know how to milk the system.:thumbsup:

I personally find that it is just a feel good factor and that's about it. The Peak hours congestion will still remain as a problem. Like Maddysk mentioned, during peak hours the sign tells you that your bus will arrive in 20mins. You have decided to wait, the bus came after 20mins but you start to curse because the bus is jam packed and you could not board. Will you be happy by now? When you get onto the next arriving bus, you are packed like sardines. So does the travel info help you here?

If given a choice, I will want more trains on the tracks. The time board will be totally useless, if I know for sure a train will arrive at two minutes interval.

Like that everything also can complain la.

Bus empty, you say waste petrol.

Bus full, also make noise.

Bus half-full, you say never make proper use of resources, can make smaller bus to save petrol.

Bus quarter-full, you say got people hanky-panky because not enough people on bus to enforce public shame treatment.

The cynic will always make noise no matter what. Half empty glass, blah blah blah. Tsk tsk tsk.

Everyone likes to feel superior.
Why don't you go ask Singaporeans the perception of ang moh and Malaysian and Thai?

SAMA SAMA. All the same. Everyone puffs themselves up.

Tell me something new! Tell me!

why not you join the press, be a reporter and write reports that are not one-dimensional?
Good idea :thumbsup:

Or join the Canon Young Photographer competition, win, and then take 3D, not 2D photos.

That's the problem, we boast to be the best in the world, but always like to compare with the third world to make us look better.

Yes it's true, you may miss the one waiting if there's too much crowd, but the next one will probably be on its way in a couple of minutes.

I was there a few days ago and here's my experience staying in Discovery Bay. BTW, DB is on Lantau Island, so it's pretty far away from the busy HK/KL. There are no private vehicles allowed in DB, except for permitted taxis and delivery vans. Residents got around by mainly walking or the public transport, although a very minority owns golf buggies, but it's really neglectable.

If you take the Ferry to Discovery Bay, there will always be a feeder bus waiting for you after you got off the boat. If you take the MTR to Sunny Bay, there will also be a feeder bus waiting for you to take you to DB. Although the driver may wait for a couple of trains before going off, but the train intervals are so short, it's almost nothing. The ferry that brings you to DB is 24hrs, so are the bus services, but I think it will never happen here as it will NEVER be profitable here. But having said that, the intervals are longer in between at DB, and even more at night, but then again, it's only at DB, not the rest of the place.

A mode of mass transport never explored here are the ferry services, which is really amazing considering we live on an island. I imagine the Marina Pier bringing in the working crowds from all over the island. There are main terminals at Tampines, Marina South, Jurong and Yishun. There will be drop off piers at Marine Parade, Bedok, Tampines, Punggol, Sembawang, West Coast, etc. There are then feeder bus that brings the people around the estates. There will be much less reliance on private cars and the land public transport are thus less burdened. We don't need to keep expanding the expressways.

I suspect then, that there are of course, less money to collect from COEs, petrol. SMRT becomes less profitable, unless they run the ferry service.... I am sure there are 101 reasons NOT to have such alternative transports, but maybe, we are just not creative and flexible enough. Most of the rest of the world are using sea transport, ie, HK, Sydney, Venice, I am really don't know why it's not here......

Status
Not open for further replies.