OT discussion from Antoniette.2 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually,

Antoniette, I don't even know that is french :embrass:

But I would be surprised to see an African too :)

Just like I thought Eikin is Japanese :) if he turned out to be Indian I would be surprised too.

Am I racist? I don't think so, as there is nothing wrong with Indians except....

never mind. It is just about have stereotypes, which we ALL have.

PS: yes I have been to france, I have seen so many Black people there but that doesn't alter my stereotypes which are formed when I am younger.

lucky i'm color blind... :bsmilie:

I am not trying to convince DP. He is beyond that. As you know, in any debate it is not the other party who matters, it is the audience's heart the debaters must win.

The purpose is to expose the fallacies in logic shown here by certain people, so that others on the sidelines are clear about what constitutes racism and bigotry.

Then i reckon you are missing the point. You are assuming that there is;

a. An Audience?
b. They wish to be convinced?
c. You want to be known as the person who is right?

This "debate" as you have put it started out as a discussion between both of you and I do not see this as a place where you need to convince the "audience" who is right. I would even go as far as to say that this is a fallacy in itself.

Like I have mentioned earlier, you can choose to go on if you want but you need to ask yourself what you will get out of it a the end of the day.

This sub-forum is very angsty as it is. I do not see the need for anymore of such angst.

Thank you.

Really? Then I think you should understand the seriousness of the allegations as I've explained in Post #56.

This is not just about somebody commenting that someone else's photo "sucks". A person makes wild, baseless and unsubstantiated allegations of racism and bigotry and you just want to let it go. Wow.

BTW, dictionary.com defines angst as "A feeling of anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression." I don't think that is suitable to describe this thread or this sub-forum. I would say that there are sometimes ill-feelings caused by people whose debates degenerate into personal insults and flame wars arising from vastly differing viewpoints.

Then i reckon you are missing the point. You are assuming that there is;

a. An Audience?
b. They wish to be convinced?
c. You want to be known as the person who is right?

This "debate" as you have put it started out as a discussion between both of you and I do not see this as a place where you need to convince the "audience" who is right. I would even go as far as to say that this is a fallacy in itself.

Like I have mentioned earlier, you can choose to go on if you want but you need to ask yourself what you will get out of it a the end of the day.

This sub-forum is very angsty as it is. I do not see the need for anymore of such angst.

Thank you.

Really? Then I think you should understand the seriousness of the allegations as I've explained in Post #56.

Yes I do and here is your post #56;

I am not trying to convince DP. He is beyond that. As you know, in any debate it is not the other party who matters, it is the audience's heart the debaters must win.

The purpose is to expose the fallacies in logic shown here by certain people, so that others on the sidelines are clear about what constitutes racism and bigotry.

To Wolfgang:

Do you know what DP has said, by implication? That I support racists because I am defending them. And by further inference, I could also be racist myself.

That is a serious allegation.

I hope you can understand how serious such allegations are. Promising careers can be destroyed by allegations of racism. Companies can suffer boycotts because of such allegations. Even Presidents can fall from power due to such allegations.

This is why I am out so strongly against people who make baseless allegations of racism.

First you say you are not trying to convince DP, but win the heart of the audience. Next, you are trying to clear the air or defend yourself against DP's supposed allegation.

May i ask that you;

i. Be clear in your mind what you wish to achieve.
ii. Decide on a course of action so as to achieve your aim.

Either way, i am not particularly interested how this pans out if you feel that you feel that the allegation is serious enough, do contact DP and sort it out privately via PM or seek legal recourse for slander if you think it warrants such attention.

I do not see the need for verbal sparring here. I am simply not interested in letting this place become an arena.

Thank you.

BTW, dictionary.com defines angst as "A feeling of anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression." I don't think that is suitable to describe this thread or this sub-forum. I would say that there are sometimes ill-feelings caused by people whose debates degenerate into personal insults and flame wars arising from vastly differing viewpoints.

There are more than one definition for the word angst. I could quote you the explanation "Angst" as defined in the American Oxford Dictionaries but again, what purpose would that serve?

You believe yourself to be right and nothing I say would convince you otherwise. I take no sides in this matter except to ensure that the forum does not get plagued by malcontents and people who believe that its fun to cause strife.

As mentioned, i care not about how this turns out. You either put up or shut up. If you deem DP's allegation serious enough, be my guest, seek legal recourse or well, contact him via PM and settle it amicably.

All i ask is both party stop this incessant chatter about who is right or who started it first. This is akin to a primary school child in class putting up his hands and crying plaintively to the teacher, "Teacher, he took my eraser..."

Seriously... :rolleyes:

This is not about who started it first. Or about who is right. Seriously... :rolleyes:

Everyone's actions are in the open and people can form their own opinions.

If you don't understand why things in this sub-forum happen the way they do, things will continue the way they do (ie full of "angst", if you want to call it that).

All i ask is both party stop this incessant chatter about who is right or who started it first. This is akin to a primary school child in class putting up his hands and crying plaintively to the teacher, "Teacher, he took my eraser..."

Seriously... :rolleyes:

This is not about who started it first. Or about who is right. Seriously... :rolleyes:

Everyone's actions are in the open and people can form their own opinions.

If you don't understand why things in this sub-forum happen the way they do, things will continue the way they do (ie full of "angst", if you want to call it that).

Well, there it is then.

I am hereby closing the thread since whatever that needs to be said has already been stated.

Should any of the individual parties have an axe to grind, kindly do so via PM.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.