OMD - Single lens or Dual lens kit?

tsammyc said:
I think if you want to shoot telephoto like in the zoo or birdpark, the dual lens kit gives you a 150mm lens for that. Reviews of the 12-50 are not good, but if you like to shoot in the rain, then its the only one.

Personally, I would just buy the body ($1,400) and get the Sigma 19mm prime lens ($250), which is very sharp. If you want to take portraits of people, the $400 Olympus 45mm F1.8 is also a great deal.

According to tests, the only 2 micro 4/3 zooms that are very sharp for M43 are the Panny 7-14mm and the new 12-35 F2.8, which is to be released soon. Both are very expensive.

All reviews about the 12-50mm I saw so far praised it's optical quality and I don't think 150mm is enough for a bird park.

Last edited:
All reviews about the 12-50mm I saw so far praised it's optical quality and I don't think 150mm is enough for a bird park.

It all depends on what you are expecting... I usually do what I can with what I have..
Some shots taken at bird park with 40-150mm R. I think the 40-150mm is not too bad.....

Taken at extreme low light.. hand held...
7279334856_d0b44af15d_b.jpg

I am quite pleased with the DOF......
7279338306_e50fdefa8f_c.jpg

close up - Penguin
7279331930_4253cf2cca_b.jpg

Last edited:
silence said:
I usually do what I can with what I have..

Who doesn't? I never met someone who tried the opposite. :) That's exactly the reason why I don't understand why you don't recommend the single lens kit, it's the cheapest option to get a working kit.

Who doesn't? I never met someone who tried the opposite. :) That's exactly the reason why I don't understand why you don't recommend the single lens kit, it's the cheapest option to get a working kit.

Sorry??? Did I ever mention that I don't recommend the single lens kit??? What I am trying to justify is, you mentioned that 150mm might not be enough for bird park but to me I am quite satisfied with it... I am just showing TS some lens options and give him an idea what he might be able to get out from with different lens(eg: 40-150mm R)....

Sorry??? Did I ever mention that I don't recommend the single lens kit??? What I am trying to justify is, you mentioned that 150mm might not be enough for bird park but to me I am quite satisfied with it... I am just showing TS some lens options and give him an idea what he might be able to get out from with different lens(eg: 40-150mm R)....
No, you didn't. My apologies! I mixed you up with tsammyc who started the discussion.

No, you didn't. My apologies! I mixed you up with tsammyc.

No worries.... Apology accepted =) I think both kits are nice... just depending on what user wants... I got the dual kit set because I wanted to try the 40-150mm R... I still end up buying a UWA lens and some wide angle and portrait primes lol!!! Wallet big hole... I have to say the 12-50mm is a good walkabout lens with decent IQ (just like how the plastic 40-150mm R lens impressed me).. All in all, the single kit set is good to start off with(like you say cheapest kit option).

i bought the dual lens kit too as i couldnt find any black single lens or body only kit. So far, im really contented with the 40-150mm lens. it has a nice good reach, and reasonable quality! Not a bad kit after all.

The only thing I don't like about the 12-50 so far (after 1 day) is the flare/ghosting. Otherwise I'm content with it as a travel lens.

silence said:
It all depends on what you are expecting... I usually do what I can with what I have..
Some shots taken at bird park with 40-150mm R. I think the 40-150mm is not too bad.....

Taken at extreme low light.. hand held...

I am quite pleased with the DOF......

close up - Penguin

These are very sharp photos! Very nice!

I was trying to find just the body, but got the one lens kit. One less lens to sell. Personally, I would avoid the kit lens. Have not found any kit lens in any system to be acceptable. Just me. But some may prefer convenience and don't mind using the kit lens.

Wow - Silence !! Very nice pixs! Hope i'll be able to take these kind of photos.

These are very sharp photos! Very nice!
Thanks Oly5050!!! I was shocked with its sharpness too... I use Shutter priority and let OM-D decides the ISO... As I am not a very demanding person so this kind of quality is good enough for me.. Am a happy OM-D owner ;)

Wow - Silence !! Very nice pixs! Hope i'll be able to take these kind of photos.
You will be able to!!! Just be patient and wait for the birds to "pose" nicely then snap!!! I hope I did not waiver your decision to get the single kit lol...... But.... A small suggestion for you - Get the single kit and use it first.. and if you feel that you might need to zoom, you may want to consider getting the 40-150mm(Buy&Sell corner ard $250-280) or even better the Panasonic 45-200mm(US selling US$199 but SG abit expensive). A friend of mine, who is a photojournalist, bought the OM-D and coupled it with the Panasonic 45-200mm zoom, I was very impressed with the quality of the lens!! ;p

Last edited:
I was trying to find just the body, but got the one lens kit. One less lens to sell. Personally, I would avoid the kit lens. Have not found any kit lens in any system to be acceptable. Just me. But some may prefer convenience and don't mind using the kit lens.

Me too. The reason is 12-50mm look awkward with omd without additional handle. 40-150mm not required is because most of the time are street photography and gathering casual shots. Therefore got body only and have 12mm f2.0 and manual 50mm f1.4 that is very portable. Of course those cost a bomb and force me to eat white rice and soya sauce for the next few months hahahah. Of course, for bird park and zoo you definitely need tele lens and I own a four third 70-300mm cost 400-500 dollars only vs a $1000 m43 70-300mm lens. As for adapter, go for 3rd party which cost a lot cheaper. IMHO

Hi TS,

If you need weathersealed standard zoom, 12-50mm is best option in terms of price/weight/speed of AF etc. Wide enough, manual or electronic zoom, bit of macro, does almost everything.
If you need just cheapest kit, get just body only and then 14-42mk2 from BNS, some are selling in range of $150 new since E-M5+14-42 is not an available option. Hard to advice you what you need/don't in terms of focal length. If need telephoto zooms/primes, can add on later after you familiarize with focal lengths. Zooms will not give image quality of primes, they are just good enough not excellent, unless it's new Panasonic 12-35 which is pricey.
If you want cheap option to get blur background pictures, you can try with adapted manual lenses like OM 50/1.4 <$200 (meaning manual focus) which can perform well under low light as well. Or as show in silence nice pictures, 40-150 can get you blur background pretty easily, though you need distance as well and understand placement of subjects to get it right, it's not really a low light performer though it's better now with hi iso performance on EM5.
Don't restrict to telephotos, IMHO, primes...it's a whole new world out there:)

Last edited:
Hi TS,
Don't restrict to telephotos, IMHO, primes...it's a whole new world out there:)

Yes!!! Totally agree... I think if one goes primes... One will not look back anymore.... Primes are the KINGS(and wallet must be reasonably deep too) lol!